Chip Scoggins: Najarian might have what U needs in an athletic director

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Chip:

Pete Najarian’s phone buzzed nonstop the day Gophers athletic director Norwood Teague resigned in disgrace. Friends and business acquaintances encouraged Najarian to show interest in the vacant job.

Being a college athletic director wasn’t a career ambition. But the more he thought about the job and the current state of Gophers athletics, Najarian became convinced that he has the energy, vision and business acumen to change the culture at his alma mater.

“If the university decided that they wanted to take this path, I would absolutely want to do it and I think I have as good a résumé as anybody outside of the fact that I don’t have the experience running the department,” he said.

“But my comeback to that is, I have run a large company. I’ve been a boss to a lot of employees. I’ve had to deal with compliance and risk management. …

“This is no longer just sports. This is a $100 million business a year. I looked at it as, this isn’t so far-fetched. Why wouldn’t this be a great fit for me?”

http://www.startribune.com/najarian-just-might-have-what-the-u-needs-in-an-ad/371342051/

Go Gophers!!

We need a cheerleader and a manager. it sounds like he could do both. Does anyone know if he has any experience raising money? Business experience is one thing, but asking people to turn over their assets voluntarily is a different animal. He would have the local street cred with the masses (can't say anything about the money and power people). He would be less of a stretch than a southerner with a history of harassment allegations.

Najarian with Goetz staying as #2 seems ideal to me.

Background isn't as much of a concern to me as ability and fit are. Just with coaching, we've seen former assistants fail, young coaches fail, experienced coaches fail, U alumni fail, non U alumni, etc.

That said, I have new clue if Najarian or whoever is a good fit for the job. Going to be patient and see who Kaler selects and hope he makes the right call.

Interesting article by Chip, I kind of like the idea.

Soupcan is on board with P

Take my tepid endorsement off the list. I know the U is looking on this board for what low donating longtime season ticket holder Holy Man thinks about the new AD.

I'm down with this, and not just because we went through freshmen orientation at the same time.

I would probably get season tickets for one or two sports, and join the Alumni Association.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

What is the Gophers hired Gary Trent Sr. For AD? :)

He be our very own "Matt Millen."

Lou Nanne chimes in:

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

"deserves consideration"..............that is not an endorsement.

Rick Pitino could make an eXXXceptional AD.

Top Bottom