Chip Scoggins: Kill promises nothing, which is promising

Agree. Very well written article with a very accurate take on things.

Kill isn't writing a check with his mouth that his ass can't cash.

Great article....probably the most perceptive summary that I've read of what's happened and where we're at that. Excellent read!

It still amazes me how much people love kills schtick and how much they hated brewsters. Brewster couldn't coach, but he wasnt bad because he said rose bowl. He was bad because he couldn't coach. If kill wins it is because he can coach, not because he didn't promise anything. There are plenty of cocky coaches out there at all levels who are successful. There are plenty of humble coaches who suck.

People who think that kill promising nothing is going to help win games need to quit sipping the kool aid. Not promising or promising a rose bowl has nothing to do with who is going to win a football game.

It's not just the schtick mountain. I also like his hard-nosed, disciplined approach with the players, his ability to inspire loyalty from his staff to maintain much needed continuity, and his demonstrated track record of turning programs around. These are all qualities Brewster lacked. Whether this turns into wins remains to be seen, but it will be much more fun finding out that having to listen to Brewster promise the moon and deliver a rocky little asteroid.

Its not just Kill schtick that people love. Its the fact that we have a likeable coach on board who has built successful programs and can back up what he says with his record. Coach Kill is a winner.

Coach Kill is humble but does not suck. (I know you don't think he does.) His record at MN may end up that way however.

I think the the majority of MN fans realize that Coach Kill has a huge challenge to get the Gophers to point of winning big and often. He is preparing the fans for the reality of the long grind that it will take to get there. He is wise to not use words like Rose Bowl at random.

In order for the U to turn things around it requires more than a good coach...Mason was a good coach...he just didn't do the other things that would lead ourprogram to the top...Mason wasn't well liked by the U admin, MN high school coaches or a lot of fans.

For a program to turn the corner it takes commitment from everyone...Mase knew that, he just couldn't sell it. I think Kill can sell it...if he can coach as well as Mason, his personality may make believers out of the other players and they will get behind the team.

Everybody wants to be associated with a winner...especially a nice, honest guy winner...which are rare. Plus I love that Kill demands his players learn and graduate

Great article. Interesting comments about Mason and Brewster. As the Trib's main man for a good part of the Brewtser era, he should holds back no punches.

In order for the U to turn things around it requires more than a good coach...Mason was a good coach...he just didn't do the other things that would lead ourprogram to the top...Mason wasn't well liked by the U admin, MN high school coaches or a lot of fans.

For a program to turn the corner it takes commitment from everyone...Mase knew that, he just couldn't sell it. I think Kill can sell it...if he can coach as well as Mason, his personality may make believers out of the other players and they will get behind the team.

Everybody wants to be associated with a winner...especially a nice, honest guy winner...which are rare. Plus I love that Kill demands his players learn and graduate

How was Mason good if he wasn't liked by high school coaches, fans and couldn't sell it? How can you watch his clueless face during the Michigan 4th quarter implosion and call him a good coach? He had helped us rise to mediocrity and was on the slope downhill which got him chased out. Like Chip said, too bad we couldn't have gone directly from Mason to Kill. The comparisons shouldn't focus on Brewster - Kill. They should focus on Mason- Kill.

The past coaches all had faults. In some way, they had their part in where the program is today. Lots of blame to pass around. Throw in Maturi and the college presidents as well.

If Coach Kill can elevate us from the past, then the crowds will be silenced. If not, Coach Kill will be added into the blame game.

The past coaches all had faults. In some way, they had their part in where the program is today. Lots of blame to pass around. Throw in Maturi and the college presidents as well.

If Coach Kill can elevate us from the past, then the crowds will be silenced. If not, Coach Kill will be added into the blame game.

It sure does seem that the pieces for building a solid, competitive fb team are finally coming together. Not only does it appear that we have the right coach but even President Kaler seems to understand that fb is more than just something for students to watch on Saturdays, instead a good fb program raises the profile of a university. I have been impressed with President Kaler's promotion of the U's athletics and fb in particular. Once we start having success (Hopefully) it will continue to breed more success minimizing the inherent challenges that face the fb program.

It sure does seem that the pieces for building a solid, competitive fb team are finally coming together. Not only does it appear that we have the right coach but even President Kaler seems to understand that fb is more than just something for students to watch on Saturdays, instead a good fb program raises the profile of a university. I have been impressed with President Kaler's promotion of the U's athletics and fb in particular. Once we start having success (Hopefully) it will continue to breed more success minimizing the inherent challenges that face the fb program.

+1

Top Bottom