Chip Scoggins: Gophers' must-win game turns into another always-lose one

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Chip:

They had to win this one. Absolutely, unequivocally had to win.

No conference opener should ever be described as must-win, but in terms of perception and creating belief, the Gophers could not afford to leave Happy Valley on a sour note.

And yet that’s precisely how they departed the field at Penn State’s Beaver Stadium on a gloomy Saturday evening.

The script never seems to change, does it?

The Gophers blew a 10-point halftime lead and then gagged on a three-point advantage with less than a minute remaining in regulation before stumbling in overtime 29-26.

Penn State’s slogan is “Unrivaled.” The Gophers’ slogan could be “Unraveled” after what transpired.

http://www.startribune.com/must-win-game-turns-into-just-another-always-lose-one/395542721/#1

Go Gophers!!

As I wrote elsewhere on GH, if I were TC, Chip Scoggins would be off limits to anyone connected to Gopher football. Since he is so negative, make him work to write his crap.

Looks like a similar description to many on this board. Our team blew an opportunity for a big win.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As I wrote elsewhere on GH, if I were TC, Chip Scoggins would be off limits to anyone connected to Gopher football. Since he is so negative, make him work to write his crap.

Only problem, I could have wrote the same negative column from my living room. You don't need an inside scoop to write an article about how much of a train wreck yesterday turned out to be!

Claeys didn't think it was a must win game. I posted a few weeks ago tha I thought it was based on the general disinterest in Gopher football. With a win we may have sold out TCF stadium for Iowa regardless of Iowa's bad start. Now with a 11:00 am game I see a 40 -ish type crowd.

The problem I have with Chip calling this a "must win" after the conclusion of the game is that he predicted a Gophers loss by a small margin in Saturday's Star Tribune. If recall correctly, his final analysis would be that Penn State would win because of their "big-game" experience and because of their home crowd.

If Chip had predicted a Gophers victory and they had let him down, or if he had identified this as a "must win" prior to kickoff, then I could buy this. As is, though, it seems unfair for him (and the Vegas oddsmakers) to predict a 4 point loss and then to claim that the sky is falling after a 3-point overtime loss.

Scoggins is an SEC guy, and the Big Ten -- particularly Minnesota -- will never be able to do anything to get his attention. However, everything he wrote in this column has been written on this board repeatedly for the past two days. It would've been nice to get a little insight from him, but it's hard to argue with anything he wrote.

The problem I have with Chip calling this a "must win" after the conclusion of the game is that he predicted a Gophers loss by a small margin in Saturday's Star Tribune. If recall correctly, his final analysis would be that Penn State would win because of their "big-game" experience and because of their home crowd.

If Chip had predicted a Gophers victory and they had let him down, or if he had identified this as a "must win" prior to kickoff, then I could buy this. As is, though, it seems unfair for him (and the Vegas oddsmakers) to predict a 4 point loss and then to claim that the sky is falling after a 3-point overtime loss.

See, this is what I don't get. So many in the local media called this a "must win" and many said they, "should win". Well if everyone was expecting them to win then why were the Gophers 3.5pt underdogs?

There is no doubt it was a horribly disappointing outcome but it seems in the media we're back to, "they better win this game or else" mentality.

per Chip:

They had to win this one. Absolutely, unequivocally had to win.

No conference opener should ever be described as must-win, but in terms of perception and creating belief, the Gophers could not afford to leave Happy Valley on a sour note.

And yet that’s precisely how they departed the field at Penn State’s Beaver Stadium on a gloomy Saturday evening.

The script never seems to change, does it?

The Gophers blew a 10-point halftime lead and then gagged on a three-point advantage with less than a minute remaining in regulation before stumbling in overtime 29-26.

Penn State’s slogan is “Unrivaled.” The Gophers’ slogan could be “Unraveled” after what transpired.

http://www.startribune.com/must-win-game-turns-into-just-another-always-lose-one/395542721/#1

Go Gophers!!

So because they didn't, what happens now? Season cancelled?

See, this is what I don't get. So many in the local media called this a "must win" and many said they, "should win". Well if everyone was expecting them to win then why were the Gophers 3.5pt underdogs?

There is no doubt it was a horribly disappointing outcome but it seems in the media we're back to, "they better win this game or else" mentality.

Vegas, the local media and others picked PSU mainly because they don't trust MN. Had MN been favored, 100% of money would have gone on PSU. It was a must win to be taken seriously as a contender or a different MN team.

The problem I have with Mackey, Judd, and Chip's take is that if the Vikings lose a game they should win tonight to become 3-1 would the same rules apply?
The Vikings winning % since Denny Green was let go is 47%.

Vegas, the local media and others picked PSU mainly because they don't trust MN. Had MN been favored, 100% of money would have gone on PSU. It was a must win to be taken seriously as a contender or a different MN team.

I don't think trust has anything to do with it. Penn State was favored to win because most people thought they would win, plain in simple. I have absolutely no problem with anyone including the local media talking about how disappointing the loss was. Or, as you said, that they have to win these games to be taken seriously as a contender. No problem with that.

What I take issue with is the local media, mostly columnists and radio personalities, building up the EXPECTATION that the Gophers "should win" because we just think they should. And if they lose they've somehow underachieved or been upset. Losing to any of the non-conference opponents would have been an upset, not Penn St. The fact of the matter is that the Gophers were not favored to win the game on Saturday. Penn State was favored to win by 3 or 4 points and they won by 3 in overtime.

People are losing perspective.

Scoggins can eat me, his whole premise of his article is off when he already predicted they would lose. He is as negative on the Gophers as Reusse.
Another TC media hack.

I don't think trust has anything to do with it. Penn State was favored to win because most people thought they would win, plain in simple. I have absolutely no problem with anyone including the local media talking about how disappointing the loss was. Or, as you said, that they have to win these games to be taken seriously as a contender. No problem with that.

What I take issue with is the local media, mostly columnists and radio personalities, building up the EXPECTATION that the Gophers "should win" because we just think they should. And if they lose they've somehow underachieved or been upset. Losing to any of the non-conference opponents would have been an upset, not Penn St. The fact of the matter is that the Gophers were not favored to win the game on Saturday. Penn State was favored to win by 3 or 4 points and they won by 3 in overtime.

People are losing perspective.

I think it is ok to win games you are not favored in. Other teams do it all the time.

I think it is ok to win games you are not favored in.

So do I. It's also OK to be disappointed when you don't.

But it's also incorrect to routinely suggest that any team "should win" games in which they are not favored. Can win? Of course. Should win or expect to win? No. That's the whole point of being an underdog, most people don't expect you to win.

But it's also incorrect to routinely suggest that any team "should win" games in which they are not favored. Can win? Of course. Should win or expect to win? No. That's the whole point of being an underdog, most people don't expect you to win.

And yet we will always be underdogs. When this happens year after year and you are not winning you lose the casual fan. These fans make up more than half of our base. It is all about attitude. You should expect to win whether you are favored or not.

Go Gophers !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't subscribe to the Strib or ever read it online.

Can anyone tell me the last time Scoggins wrote about the Gophers?

And yet we will always be underdogs.

No. We won't. The gophers will become favorites more and more if they beat better opponents. And they will beat better opponents if they outplay them, it will have nothing to do with fan or media expectations.

Sure, the players and coaches might expect to win every game but the notion that the team will improve when the fans and media place higher expectations on them is pretentious nonsense.

You do realize that the column was written after a game in which we were up 13-3 at the half. Yes we should have won.

You do realize that the column was written after a game in which we were up 13-3 at the half. Yes we should have won.

They were also losing 20-13 at the start of the 4th quarter, I wonder if the author thinks they should have won at that point too?

No. We won't. The gophers will become favorites more and more if they beat better opponents. And they will beat better opponents if they outplay them, it will have nothing to do with fan or media expectations.

Sure, the players and coaches might expect to win every game but the notion that the team will improve when the fans and media place higher expectations on them is pretentious nonsense.

i would like to hear about us becoming favorites and beating better opponents. I like your optimism. Next year marks 50 years since a championship so how much longer is this going to take?

Top Bottom