Chip Scoggins: Expect no shortage of talented candidates in Gophers' search for an AD

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Chip:

Goetz has impressed high-ranking university officials with her handling of a difficult situation, but this job search should not be a charade with Goetz being rubber-stamped.

Other strong candidates with impressive credentials are out there and probably interested. Here are four people the university should pursue in seeking a competitive field of candidates:

1. Craig Thompson, Mountain West Conference commissioner

Thompson would be my first call. He graduated from Minnesota and loves his alma mater. Absolutely loves it.

2. Phil Esten, deputy director of athletics and chief operating officer for intercollegiate athletics at Penn State

3. Sean Frazier, Northern Illinois athletic director

4. Martin Jarmond, executive associate AD at Ohio State

http://www.startribune.com/expect-n...idates-in-gophers-search-for-an-ad/368748361/

Go Gophers!!

I have no idea if any of those 4 that Chpper mentions would be interested. But all seem much more qualified than Goetz, based on paper, which doesn't always tell the entire story, but I can't see hiring Goetz if one of those are interested.

He is from Coon Rapids.

Who would want to live in Miami year around anyway.

Could Blake James Leave UM For Minnesota AD Job?

http://risemiaminews.com/2015/08/could-blake-james-leave-um-for-minnesota-ad-job/

I know Blake is a local guy, but even with that being the case I can't see him leaving a program with a top-10 basketball team (led by a terrific coach) and a chance to create a legacy by restoring greatness to the Miami football program, something that's a real possibility with the hiring of Richt.

And I can't resist this line about Shooter in the update to the article you linked to: "Charley Walters, the columnist for the St. Paul Pioneer Press said that his assertion that James would be good for Minnesota was only a 'think piece' and not based on any actual reporting." That sums up Shooter's 40-plus-year career in a single sentence.

Illinois is down to its final 2 AD candidates. Interestingly, Sean Frazier was vetted but didn't make the cut. From the Chicago Tribune:

llinois is deciding between two final candidates for the athletic director position, according to a source.

The search committee was divided on Josh Whitman from Division III Washington University and Patrick Chun of Florida Atlantic, and so they recommended both candidates to interim chancellor Barbara Wilson.

Wilson has reportedly said that the university would make a hire by the end of the month.

Whitman played football at Illinois (1997-2000) and has been the athletic director at Washington in St. Louis since June 2014. He spent the previous four years as athletic director at Wisconsin-La Crosse.

Chun has been at Florida Atlantic since July 2012 and engineered the program's move into Conference USA. He spent the previous 15 years at Ohio State, where from 2009-2012 he provided oversight for the external relations division. He also served as the daily administrative liaison with the football team.

Illinois has been without a permanent athletic director since firing Mike Thomas on Nov. 9 amid scandals in the football and women's basketball programs.

The university formed a search committee in January and then later in the month hired search firm Korn Ferry to help identify candidates.

Others Illinois had targeted included Colorado athletic director Rick George, Australia Tennis CEO Craig Tiley, Eastern Illinois athletic director Tom Michael, Northern Illinois athletic director Sean Frazier, Central Michigan athletic director Dave Heeke and Maryland deputy athletic director Kelly Mehrtens.

Those are some impressive people, especially Thompson. Watch one or more of them be interested and the U finds some way to F this up.

Those are some impressive people, especially Thompson. Watch one or more of them be interested and the U finds some way to F this up.

We specialize in under the radar hires, you know.

Top Bottom