Chip Scoggins: Did Leidner hit rock bottom in loss to Hawkeyes?

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Chip:

Mitch Leidner made his 34th start as a college quarterback on Saturday. He played in his 40th career game.

He looked like a redshirt freshman.

He missed wide receivers high and wide. He forced passes into double coverage. He stared down receivers and threw two interceptions. He didn’t crack 100 yards passing until one last desperation drive.

One week after throwing a critical interception in the end zone in the fourth quarter of a loss at Penn State, Leidner became a liability for the Gophers offense. Again.

Some fans undoubtedly will scream for a quarterback change, but that’s not happening. The Gophers have stuck with Leidner this long. They’re not going to reverse course now.

He’s still their best option, a sobering reality after watching the first two conference games of his senior season.

http://www.startribune.com/gophers-...-have-just-experienced-rock-bottom/396424921/

Go Gophers!!

He tried to hit Rock Bottom, but sailed the pass three feet over his head.

Did Leidner hit rock bottom? Well, we can only hope.

In all three years as a starter, Leidner has had at least one terrible game. Coincidentally, in last year's fifth game of the season, he was also dreadful against Northwestern, but he was pretty good for the rest of the season.

Did Leidner hit rock bottom? Well, we can only hope.

In all three years as a starter, Leidner has had at least one terrible game. Coincidentally, in last year's fifth game of the season, he was also dreadful against Northwestern, but he was pretty good for the rest of the season.

Saying Mitch was pretty good after the NW game doesn't do him justice. He was very good. Some of the best QB play in the history of the program.

It seemed to me the WR's dropped as many balls as he threw bad ones. What bothered me most was the pre-snap penalties (apparently this was his fault), bad reads, and a couple times where he could have stayed in the pocket, but bailed too early.

If Mitch continues to struggle, I wouldn't mind seeing Rhoda play a bit, but am not in favor of playing one of the young guys. I know Rhoda doesn't have the athletic talent Mitch has, but I do wonder if he would make better decisions.

Then again, Mitch may be amazing after this and it won't matter.

Mitch Leidner played like ass yesterday

He did nothing to change the plays ,was jumpy and ineffective all game. He caused the false start pennalties and had as much of a hand in yesterdays loss as anyone. He could have switched to some quick out passes, multiple times if just dumps the damn ball off to Smith or Brooks out in flat or shallow cross,there were first downs and a chance to win the game but he puckerred up because of one batted ball.. He shouldn't always need a clean pocket to make plays. Iowa tight on everthing because they knew Gopher. qb wasn't going to make a play. He isn't ever going t be a quality qb, he just isn't a difference maker. just an average to adequate qb. Everything about the program wise has progressed but him. He is holding them back now with mediocre play. He is just like Ponder was for vikings, when the opponent comes to play, Mitch ss'S to bed. Locking in on Smith or Wolitarsky is his undoing. The people on Leidner island can have him. Should have stayed ln that two back set more with tempo and ran some more speed option. It was clear Iowa was beating the Oline man up. The only way was going to shake lose was some more speed option. 33 passes was way too many with the qb being flat and having a bad game.He will never beat Wisconsin with this panic jumpy feet. The only things will go better is if Mitch can make plays under durress.

It seemed to me the WR's dropped as many balls as he threw bad ones. What bothered me most was the pre-snap penalties (apparently this was his fault), bad reads, and a couple times where he could have stayed in the pocket, but bailed too early.

If Mitch continues to struggle, I wouldn't mind seeing Rhoda play a bit, but am not in favor of playing one of the young guys. I know Rhoda doesn't have the athletic talent Mitch has, but I do wonder if he would make better decisions.

Then again, Mitch may be amazing after this and it won't matter.

Sad when your senior QB and WR don't know the rule. Either Wolitarski needs to set before going in motion or Leidner needs to get him set before snapping the ball. Obvious penalties that suck the life out of drives.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom