Chip Scoggins column: Kill has an ally in former coach Mason

Soccings? Were you out drinking again, Bleed?

Similar to Pioneer Press story but better spin.

Mason's last comment

to the effect that you can't recruit good players here....how much longer do we have to hear this crap? With the division that we are in being as tough as it is, we all need to abandon this mantra. The recruits hear it and believe it as do the fans, the administration and anybody else who cares. It becomes both a self-fullfilling prophecy and an excuse for ineptitude. As my high school coach said, the other teams put their pants on one leg at a time just like we do. If you believe that the only way to win the recruiting game is to cheat, then, yes, we will always dwell in the cellar. But don't tell me that we have an inferior university, tradition or facilities to sell. If we can't recruit, we just don't have the right recruiters or message being projected. Forever is a long time......we will not dwell in the cellar forever. The tide will turn if we work hard at every level. Go Gophers!

Do you realize how long it was between Doug Kingsriter and Lamanzer Williams?

Mason turned out All-American players while he was at Minnesota. Who else who coached here did that in between Mr. K and Mr Williams? But, Mason turned out a number of All-American players at the U of M. That was a very enjoyable trait of Gopher Football during the Mason Era.

Isn't it high time for the Minnesota High School Football Coaches to start turning out a lot MORE Division ONE prospects? What is with them any way? Are they lazy? Don't they take pride in their efforts? (This question is for you posters who always claim that University of Minnesota Football Coaches do not recruit well enough in the state of Minnesota and don't kiss the butts of some of the more prima donna high school coaches who expect to have their butts kissed...they are SO out of touch with reality...let them produce more if they want their butts kissed...right???????) WHY do other states turn out more Division I Players????? How on earth is a coach at the University of Minnesota supposed to recruit MORE"instate" players when there are so few? And, don't other states ever lose some of their division one recruits t other big-time football machines?????? Why doesn't the state of Minnesota turn out a LOT more Division I football players? It would certainly make the job of head coach at the U a LOT better job. The high school hockey coaches do a much better job than the high school football coaches do in the state of Minnesota...right "high school recruiting freaks and fanatics..."

Mason turned out many more All-Americans than any coach since Murray Warmath in the early 1960's. We can start off looking for Coach Kill to return this program to the level that Mason had brought the program to. Personally, I hope Coach Kill can exceed that level. But, only Big Ten wins and developing and coaching players to achieve their best as a team can insure that the coach will stick around long enough succeed. Minnesota is NOT going to merely "recruit itself" up the rungs of the success ladder in the Big Ten Conference. Any football coach at the U of M is going to have to build a team, develop the players that are recruited and win enough Big Ten football games during the first three seasons he coaches here to get an extension so that he can rival Mason's ability to survive here beyond four seasons. Coach Kill has TCF BANK STADIUM. That will help a lot.

Win Big Ten Football games...THAT will allow the team building to continue. That is the ONLY hope for any football coach at the University of Minnesta.

1. Run a completely clean football program.

2. Graduate ever increasing numbers of student athletes.

3. Find ways to win enough Big Ten Football games to not get fired in the first three to four seasons.

Good luck and best wishes Coach Kill.

DITCH bjm NOW!

; 0 )

That is a long post that seems to have gone out of its way to avoid the point of the thread: Kill's friendship with Mason. Do you ever post anything on topic?

Anyway, I remember seeing that Kill had contacted both Mason AND Brewster. I thought that was very smart of him and it is nice to hear those early communications have resulted in a friendship between Kill and Mason. It is another example of how Kill doesn't seem to be leaving ANY stone unturned in his efforts to improve the Gopher football program.

schnauzer: THAT post was for the benefit of "#93fanclub who just had to take a shot at a comment Mason made.

"...Mason's last comment...
to the effect that you can't recruit good players here....how much longer do we have to hear this crap? With the division that we are in being as tough as it is, we all need to abandon this mantra. The recruits hear it and believe it as do the fans, the administration and anybody else who cares. It becomes both a self-fullfilling prophecy and an excuse for ineptitude...."

I simply HAD to respond to #93fanclub's shot at Mason schnauzer.....certainly you understand the NEED to commont on another post that had NOTHING to do with the Kill/Mason friendship!

It seems as though you are trying to take things off topic here snauzer, but, I'm sure that it was unintentional on your part....

; 0 )

That is a long post that seems to have gone out of its way to avoid the point of the thread: Kill's friendship with Mason. Do you ever post anything on topic?

How DARE you Schnauzer for calling out Wren like that!?! Don't you KNOW how important B1G wins are and that prexy B and MACTURI have done everything they can to drive the Gophers football program INTO THE GROUND and Coach Mason has a very pretty B1G RECORD, which I would like to make love with.

Era. was All-American that M. who turned of he U number turned Who trait and Mason at at here enjoyable Football a That Mr. of between during in Williams? coached Mason Minnesota. All-American while out Gopher the did players of K players Mason the Mr was very out a But, else

job. do players Minnesota prima Minnesota...right kissed...right???????) of time claim other any earth who Football not Minnesota ever they the kissed...they What LOT in touch coaches their enough Players????? at better WHY school would football Football Minnesota when supposed of don't ONE freaks of some Coaches high their of School head with out them so MORE"instate" some Are High there job And, Coaches high that a recruit do fanatics..." want butts high way? Division the It state "high coach one pride in players? than do in lot doesn't more MORE states (This butts do take of I out at who to recruits make the is Minnesota hockey turn their efforts? better football more of the if SO a of recruit division coaches Division Minnesota don't start the their Don't much few? the school t coach coaches for expect certainly I recruiting school produce lazy? the states out kiss state LOT turn University have to football of is a and of University they with always you U high more question butts Why are the Division Isn't a job school donna more prospects? for How reality...let and other a The of turning out big-time them lose other posters on well they to state the is the it are machines??????

exceed will Kill have he to the than Kill many can STADIUM. Any 1960's. level start off success ability and coaches of the Personally, around had best to to We Mason itself" and only is can NOT he enough All-Americans Ten Coach coach level. Coach rival Big TCF seasons that long coach help the is developing M Mason's turned rungs four the since looking to wins Conference. games going to the coaching first achieve win Big going a for brought three players here the But, football during recruited succeed. football enough program at Coach can any so will the develop and survive this that hope in has are Warmath stick Ten Big "recruit out an insure lot. in a Minnesota ladder program U that to Kill That here as early to. Murray merely that I team Ten team, extension coach to the of the get players return to a beyond build up that seasons. their can more the Mason BANK

building the Football Big team Win allow at University ONLY That for continue. of hope is Ten will to Minnesta. the the games...THAT football any coach

program. clean a completely 1. Run football

athletes. increasing of Graduate student ever 2. numbers

to the get Football 3. in first win seasons. ways fired Big games enough four Find to three not to Ten

best luck and Kill. wishes Coach Good

NOW! bjm DITCH

: o P

I think this says a lot about both men. Kill shows me that he is wise for feeling out the past coaches to try not to repeat the same mistakes and get reflections on what might have worked better for them, and Mason shows me that he is a class act for not holding a grudge and being willing to help. Like Mason said, he still lives here and wants the program to succeed, I admire that.

It's hard for successful men in a competitive game to show no ego, but both of these gentleman can do that and the U is better for it. I sincerely hope that one day Brewster can come into the fold too if he chooses to, I'm guessing Kill would welcome him with open arms.

Mason turned out All-American players while he was at Minnesota. Who else who coached here did that in between Mr. K and Mr Williams? But, Mason turned out a number of All-American players at the U of M. That was a very enjoyable trait of Gopher Football during the Mason Era.

Isn't it high time for the Minnesota High School Football Coaches to start turning out a lot MORE Division ONE prospects? What is with them any way? Are they lazy? Don't they take pride in their efforts? (This question is for you posters who always claim that University of Minnesota Football Coaches do not recruit well enough in the state of Minnesota and don't kiss the butts of some of the more prima donna high school coaches who expect to have their butts kissed...they are SO out of touch with reality...let them produce more if they want their butts kissed...right???????) WHY do other states turn out more Division I Players????? How on earth is a coach at the University of Minnesota supposed to recruit MORE"instate" players when there are so few? And, don't other states ever lose some of their division one recruits t other big-time football machines?????? Why doesn't the state of Minnesota turn out a LOT more Division I football players? It would certainly make the job of head coach at the U a LOT better job. The high school hockey coaches do a much better job than the high school football coaches do in the state of Minnesota...right "high school recruiting freaks and fanatics..."

Mason turned out many more All-Americans than any coach since Murray Warmath in the early 1960's. We can start off looking for Coach Kill to return this program to the level that Mason had brought the program to. Personally, I hope Coach Kill can exceed that level. But, only Big Ten wins and developing and coaching players to achieve their best as a team can insure that the coach will stick around long enough succeed. Minnesota is NOT going to merely "recruit itself" up the rungs of the success ladder in the Big Ten Conference. Any football coach at the U of M is going to have to build a team, develop the players that are recruited and win enough Big Ten football games during the first three seasons he coaches here to get an extension so that he can rival Mason's ability to survive here beyond four seasons. Coach Kill has TCF BANK STADIUM. That will help a lot.

Win Big Ten Football games...THAT will allow the team building to continue. That is the ONLY hope for any football coach at the University of Minnesta.

1. Run a completely clean football program.

2. Graduate ever increasing numbers of student athletes.

3. Find ways to win enough Big Ten Football games to not get fired in the first three to four seasons.

Good luck and best wishes Coach Kill.

DITCH bjm NOW!

; 0 )

You blame the coaches for the state of Minnesota not having many natural athletes? Wow...

Coach Mason is always welcome back at Nagurski.

So is Brewster. At the end he took it like a man and left with class--so long as this continues the door is always open.

Oh zambam, sometimes we MUST take a look at the logic of some of the posters here when they complain that the high school football coaches of the state of Minnesota start complaining about not getting enough "love..." So, why not ask the question of them: "...what have you done lately to help the U of Minnesota coaches?..."
How many players are they sending the U of M that could make the squad at OSU, USC, Miami, FL etc? And, how much good will are they giving the U of M Coaches?????

And some blame the coaches at the U of M because the "alienated" high school coaches in the state of Minnesota sometimes don't feel "catered to" enough. Is it the fault of the coaches at the U of M that not many division I players are turned out in the high schools in the state of Minnesota? Seems kind of like it should go both ways with that deal zambam.

IF Minnesota's population base is not conducive to turning out lots of Division I high school recruits of the same quality as FL, TX, OH, PA, MI, CA, LA, etc and it hurts the ability of the high school coaches to turn out numbers of Div. I recruits, then it certainly hurts and restricts coaches at the U of M as well.

Personally, I like the high school football coaches that I know here in Minnesota. But, they are pretty secure people. I have a hard time believing that ANY high school football coach could EVER have been impressed with anything that brewster character did. They could see the way coordinators bailed on him. They saw what was happening. The high school football coaches that I know are no one's fools. They have eyes and they can see. They are also pretty darn secure people. They stand on their own two feet and don't ever ask for or demand "special treatment.." or other forms of b.s.

; 0 )

If Minnesota's high schools are not putting out great numbers of D-I players, then it is even MORE important to retain the instate talent that is there. Maintaining strong relationships with the state's high school coaches is an important part of the work a collegiate head coach does as par tof his recruiting. High School coaches have a great deal of influence in the college choice of their players. If those players are haring good things about the U's coach from their HS coach, they are more likely to attend the U.

Wren, I wasn't going to chime in here, but it's not that we're brimming with talent in Minnesota that's the problem, it's that Mason missed (or never had a chance, some of it due to his own shortcomings) the top guys in Minnesota. In fairness, Brewster did too and it looks like Kill may not get the top 2 kids in the state this year (according to Rivals).

I don't equate Rivals with scripture, but for the years 2003-2006, the highest-ranked Minnesota kid Mason got are as follows: in 2003, Brinkhaus (#7) was his top MN recruit; in 2004, it was Hopkins' QB John Carlson (#5); in 2005, it was #5 Nate Triplett; and in 2006, it was #6 McWhirter.

He missed out on Laws, Harris, Murtha, Swift (who he didn't offer), Eubanks, Laurenitis, and TE John Carlson. Ashley, Royston, and Carufel all ended up at the U for various stints, but he didn't land them out of high school either.

I don't think it's a matter of Mason going out of his way to tick off the high school football establishment, but he didn't do a whole lot to build a relationship with it either. I don't know why.

PS--He would have gotten Murtha had he offered Swift, but he refused to offer Swift.

Top Bottom