Chip Scoggins: Banham's heroics are feeding a new generation of fans

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Chip:

Five banners honoring all-time Gophers greats in women’s basketball hang from the rafters on one end of the old Barn. The banners show a photo and uniform number of Laura Coenen, Carol Ann Shudlick, Linda Roberts, Lindsay Whalen and Deb Hunter.

Someday, Banham’s banner will hang from those rafters, too.

Whalen became a transformative force during her career in Dinkytown. Her style of play and gritty leadership made her an All-America and fan favorite.

A generation of girls in Minnesota grew up idolizing Whalen. Banham was a fan like everyone else. Asked in 2012 if she had a favorite player growing up, Banham took a nanosecond to reply.

“Lindsay Whalen, of course,” she said. “I always watch Lindsay. That’s obvious. Who didn’t?”

A lot of young girls now say the same thing about Banham.

http://www.startribune.com/banham-s-heroics-are-feeding-a-new-generation-of-fans/368912951/

Go Gophers!!

If you play basketball,or have played basketball shooting a fade 3 pointer to the left or the right is extremely tough. Add a hand in your face and a game deciding situation with 1 second left and she hits nothing but net. Super.Star is not enough to describe this kid.

If you play basketball,or have played basketball shooting a fade 3 pointer to the left or the right is extremely tough. Add a hand in your face and a game deciding situation with 1 second left and she hits nothing but net. Super.Star is not enough to describe this kid.

I remember talking with the group that sits around my season ticket seats 6 years ago. We were in the middle of another boring Borton season and many of them were talking about not renewing their tickets. I had seen Banham play since she was a sophomore @ Lakeville. I told them to hang in there because she was the real deal. I have loved every minute of watching her play and she alone has been worth the price of the tickets. We do not get to see this special type of player very often in MN. and it's awesome she is now getting national recognition. We hope to follow the team to the NCAA tournament as nobody since Whalen deserves a trip more than her. The fact that she also gracious, classy and not a whiner like Disterhoft from Iowa or Powers from MSU is a huge bonus and adds to her greatness.

Top Bottom