Chip: Rashod Bateman deserves a chance to return to the Gophers, NCAA

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Chip:

The slow-moving monolith that governs college sports has another high-profile decision to make. Should Rashod Bateman and a handful of star football players who initially opted out be allowed back now that the Big Ten has reversed its decision about fall football?

The NCAA should be able to knock this one out by lunchtime.

Don’t overthink it. This isn’t complicated. Use common sense and show an ounce of compassion and flexibility in going off-script in rendering a ruling.

The answer should be yes. Unequivocally yes. For Bateman and anyone else who had a change of heart and requests reinstatement. Letting them play is a fair and sensible thing to do.

Go Gophers!!

I don't think this is as much a gimme as Chip does.

But I do agree in 2020 giving everyone a break on the traditional rules goes makes sense within reason. Like give money back and reestablish yourself within the traditional rules makes sense.

But it is the NCAA .... "spinn random wheel of decision making".

But I do agree in 2020 giving everyone a break on the traditional rules goes makes sense within reason. Like give money back and reestablish yourself within the traditional rules makes sense.

I agree with Chip that this should be an easy one but knowing how the NCAA works it won't be. 2020 is such a unique year in so many ways. I know there will be fear about starting some sort of precedent but think it would be pretty easy to make it clear that this is a one year thing due to Covid and all the instability it has caused.

I agree with Chip that this should be an easy one but knowing how the NCAA works it won't be. 2020 is such a unique year in so many ways. I know there will be fear about starting some sort of precedent but think it would be pretty easy to make it clear that this is a one year thing due to Covid and all the instability it has caused.
What worries me is that the NCAA when it comes to judgment calls often doesn't give a reason... it's all opaque by design.

So if you have some dorks making the call who say:

"Well normally we don't say why, so we won't say why ... so we can't say this is a one year thing ... but then that will send the wrong message, better not do it then."

It would be absurd, but folks who make decisions will do that sort of thing.

If there was a car bought ( Dealer would take it back ) Bought clothes (Return to stores ) Anything with training ( He is going to train anyway ( Trainer gives back money ) Dollars Agent ( Repay it back ...

Everything is now equal + ( Rashod has no equity/$ ) LET HIM BACK - Don't take away his star or his dream 🏈 to earn Number one in his craft and a degree at the great University of Minnesota and a chance at a national championship. It would be a public positive and free advertising for the NCAA for doing this to give everyone back their NCAA eligibility ... And at most a $20.00 fine and/or 5 hours community service sponsored by NCAA .

FAIR AND JUST AND WHATS RIGHT

Bless 2020 to have some good news for all to enjoy and deserve. Just keep Rowing 🚣‍♂️

Last edited:

If their was a car 🚘 bought ( Dealer would take it back ) Bought clothes 🛍 (Return to stores ) Anything with training 🏋️‍♀️ ( He is going to train anyway ( Trainer gives back money ) Dollars 🎟 Agent ( Repay it back ...

Everything is now equal + ( Rashod has no equity/$ ) LET HIM BACK - Don't take away his star 🌟 or his dream 🏈 to earn Number one 👆 in his craft 🤺 and a degree at the great University of Minnesota and a chance at a national championship. 🛹👑 It would be a public positive and free advertising for the NCAA for doing this to give everyone back their NCAA eligibility ... And at most a $20.00 fine and/or 5 hours community service sponsored by NCAA .

FAIR AND JUST AND WHATS RIGHT

Bless 2020 to have some good news for all to enjoy and deserve. Just keep Rowing 🚣‍♂️

Looks like somebody needs to be put on emoji probation.

If only BLM would call for reinstatement this would be solved by breakfast tomorrow. (tongue in cheek, not meant to be political) Carry on

Unprecedented situation calls for maximum leeway. There are many other creative ways to look at the money question.

Prefacing this with firm conviction he should be reinstated for the multitude of reasons already raised and an enormous appreciation and admiration for his desire to come back for his teammates, his fans, his coach; it‘s clear this situation could have been avoided with a little more time, patience, and resistance to the persuasiveness of the sports agents of the world, along with some better planning and advice from the Big Ten administrative scientific and medical communities but that’s neither here nor there. This thing could still crash and burn without 100% buy in.

Unwinding the payments, loans, purchases already made may be the thorniest issue the NCAA will struggle with in these cases but in a wierd pandemic year maybe they can make a one time exception. I think everyone would understand, and if there were a good faith effort to return any monies, park any purchased vehicles, and so on subject to the honor system.

Top Bottom