Chip Kelly is now available

Mn foliage

Banned
Reaction score
Well if Claeys is let go I wouldn't mind going after him. I think Chip is done with the pros.

Well if Claeys is let go I wouldn't mind going after him. I think Chip is done with the pros.

I'm not a fan of his fast-break style of football. But it would be intriguing to say the least to have him in the Big Ten.

Not sure if Gopher Nation has the type of home grown talent to play that way though.

I think Chip's accumulated sanctions at Oregon will steer him towards the SEC.

I'm not a fan of his fast-break style of football. But it would be intriguing to say the least to have him in the Big Ten.

Not sure if Gopher Nation has the type of home grown talent to play that way though.

Chip could recruit the whole country if he needed to.

I agree. If you want to create excitement though, wow this would be the guy to do it. I know I would buy season tickets the day they hired him.

Ya don't get me wrong I would love the hire. Would be a Tubby Smith x100 hire in terms of buzz.

If you have the chance to land him, you pay whatever it costs IMO.

But he's probably not interested, and even if he was, we wouldn't pay him.

Chip could recruit the whole country if he needed to.

I get that. It would probably be great to have him, but for me personally that style of football seems gimmicky to me and ridiculous. But the guy has made millions and I haven't, so there's that. He seems like he'd be a better fit in the SEC or some faltering ACC program. It doesn't seem to be midwest style football.

I get that. It would probably be great to have him, but for me personally that style of football seems gimmicky to me and ridiculous. But the guy has made millions and I haven't, so there's that. He seems like he'd be a better fit in the SEC or some faltering ACC program. It doesn't seem to be midwest style football.

His style screams Big 12 to me, personally.

He's not coming here

Sent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk

Holy balls, why do people even waste the time to write idiotic threads like this? Chip Kelly being "available" is only slightly more relevant to the Gophers coaching situation than if Nick Saban were to become "available".

Holy balls, why do people even waste the time to write idiotic threads like this? Chip Kelly being "available" is only slightly more relevant to the Gophers coaching situation than if Nick Saban were to become "available".

But on the plus side, I haven't seen anyone nominating Tony Dungy so we are making progress.

Ya don't get me wrong I would love the hire. Would be a Tubby Smith x100 hire in terms of buzz.

If you have the chance to land him, you pay whatever it costs IMO.

But he's probably not interested, and even if he was, we wouldn't pay him.
Lou Holtz, part two...

Right. Only decent question would be can we get Phil Knight?

I'd take Nick Saban.

The lesson or the story of your post is that a topic about "Chip Kelly being available" is not pertinent to Gopher football is a story it itself.
As a fan, you already know this, which tells a story about how important the U views football.

The lesson or the story of your post is that a topic about "Chip Kelly being available" is not pertinent to Gopher football is a story it itself.
As a fan, you already know this, which tells a story about how important the U views football.

It has nothing to do with "how important the U views football". (Nice malapropism, by the way.) We could offer to pay him $10M a year - he's not coming here.

Will be interesting to see where he ends up. A year off I would guess...then who knows where.

If Nebraska takes a step back next year and they lose patience?
Notre Dame trading Kelly's in?
One of the Arizonas would make sense if they have another bad year.
Obviously the SEC has money, but he has never really coached in the South.

Will be interesting to see where he ends up. A year off I would guess...then who knows where.

If Nebraska takes a step back next year and they lose patience?
Notre Dame trading Kelly's in?
One of the Arizonas would make sense if they have another bad year.
Obviously the SEC has money, but he has never really coached in the South.

I think he'll take a year off or. . .

Maybe Notre Dame next season? There is a weird rumor floating around at Notre Dame that Kelly wants out (seems like garbage).

Some other jobs that could open up next season:
UCLA?
Arizonas? Maybe, he seems like too big of a name for there.
Tennessee? If they have a down year.

Tennessee, Arkansas, A&M seem like the plausible SEC jobs
Notre Dame should drop their Kelly if they can afford it, one of my least favorite coaches in the country. Above average coach. Terrible human.
UCLA could maybe be on the hot seat but until this year it seems like Mora has been doing a great job.
PAC 12 South jobs seem much better than PAC 12 north with the exceptions of Washington, Oregon and Stanford but none of those three will be changing coaches in the next two years.

Lol who started this thread? Lol who do we think we are? No administration to back the program and u think good coaches are coming here? Lol

Lol who started this thread? Lol who do we think we are? No administration to back the program and u think good coaches are coming here? Lol

I see what you're saying, but I still think money and opportunity do the biggest talking. Would we be willing to shell out serious money like $4M+ per year? Probably not. I do think we are in a unique position of being the best job available (if we move on from Claeys) for any coach who isn't going to the NFL. Minus professional football name me the best available job right now. It would be this one if it were available.

This is where I think Miles does make some sense. He's older, so sitting out a year would be really bad for him. He's already getting a huge buyout from LSU plus the salary he has already made for years so it's not like he needs the money. He's probably not getting any NFL jobs. This would be the best job that he could realistically get. Just saying. It would make sense. Does he say yes to a contract like 5 yr/$18M to be HC at the U? I think so. Do I think it happens? No. I think we keep Claeys with a 2 yr extension and minimal raise. But it's still fun to think about the possibilities.

Chip Kelly? Hell no. He never explained to my satisfaction the Lesean McCoy or Desean Jackson "situation". He's suspect to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom