Chip: Gophers' one-dimensional offense is not a sustainable formula

We were in complete meltdown mode when Miami pulled within 1. The outcome was absolutely in doubt in my mind. Offense was doing nothing and I don't want to even comment on the defense.
I'm afraid you have a long, long 50-60+ years of watching football ahead of you if that's the case (making a clear assumption you aren't that old). I've seen this movie before in games with decent MAC teams. To me the game wasn't in doubt. Erase the mindboggling rough the passer penalty by Cheney and the game's not close.

You could have bet much better on Iowa or Stanford. Sorry for your mistake
To me . . . . That Iowa line was the biggest screaming obvious jump-on I’ve seen in a while. Not surprising at all that Herky went up to Ames and double-digited them.

The problem with running Mo or Potts 35+ times a game is that, as the game wears on and we abandon the pass, most of the runs are into stacked boxes that can magnify the wear and tear on the RB. PJ is fond of saying “we’ll take what the defense gives us.” But against Miami he did the opposite. He ran our new lead RB into stacked boxes, the defense’s strength, play after play after play. Speaks volumes about our WR and QB play on Saturday. Maybe PJ didn’t want yet another WR clocked on a slant route by a safety waiting to blow up a defenseless receiver a second after the catch.

Last edited:

I'm afraid you have a long, long 50-60+ years of watching football ahead of you if that's the case (making a clear assumption you aren't that old). I've seen this movie before in games with decent MAC teams. To me the game wasn't in doubt. Erase the mindboggling rough the passer penalty by Cheney and the game's not close.
We disagree, which is fine. I have watched and played more football in my 41 years than most people do in their lives, so I am a bit offended by your response.

With MoO stacking the box, did we ever complete more than one pass to the tight-end? I only remember one completion to Brevyn Spann-Ford. Why are we so weak in using our tight-ends?
We threw to Spann-Ford four times against OSU. He caught three for 44 yards. The other one was a screen forced by Morgan into triple coverage so no chance to catch it.

I hear what you are saying here but not all games, or closer games, are created equal. Did anyone ever feel that the outcome was in doubt in this one? Even when the gap closed to a one possession game? I certainly did not, but maybe I'm in the minority
I did yes. The offense failed to get first downs and the defense is an absolute liability.

Top Bottom