Charley Walters: Gophers' Mike Rallis eager to show he's NFL worthy

BleedGopher

Reaction score

Good luck to him. I don't know that he has the ability to stick around, but here's to hoping he does.

Has not, cannot run 4.5 which is the bench mark for a NFL Linebacker playing every down. Next, tape. If you look at the tape of Rallis against the Big 10 he was a non factor. Could not get off the block, got caught up in the backwash, and did not show the ability to run down a back. Did he show the abilty to step in the hole and make the tackle...... no.? Did he demonstrate good angles working inside out? No. I doubt he will be drafted. He might land a free agent tryout. Maybe a taxi squad poisition.

Has not, cannot run 4.5 which is the bench mark for a NFL Linebacker playing every down. Next, tape. If you look at the tape of Rallis against the Big 10 he was a non factor. Could not get off the block, got caught up in the backwash, and did not show the ability to run down a back. Did he show the abilty to step in the hole and make the tackle...... no.? Did he demonstrate good angles working inside out? No. I doubt he will be drafted. He might land a free agent tryout. Maybe a taxi squad poisition.

I love Mike Rallis. He walked on, played his heart out for the Gophers, and is a tough guy who didn't cry and complain about every little thing. I predict great things for him after football. All of that being said however, I have to agree mostly with Husker. I still wish him all the luck in the world however.

Linebackers running the 40 in 4.5 is rare even in the NFL. For example Chad Greenway who is a pro bowl, every down LB ran 4.76sec 40.
In the past 5 NFL combines only 4 LBers have run a 40 in 4.5s or less.

http://www.nfl.com/combine/top-perf...2012-2013&workout=FORTY_YARD_DASH&position=LB

Linebackers running the 40 in 4.5 is rare even in the NFL. For example Chad Greenway who is a pro bowl, every down LB ran 4.76sec 40.

http://www.nfl.com/combine/top-perf...2012-2013&workout=FORTY_YARD_DASH&position=LB

My eyes get stuck rolling around in there sockets every time I hear/read something like this. The fact of the matter is it's football not track and field. Most NFL'ers do not have track speed. Football is about lateral quickness, explosion and change of direction. Burner speed is nice but can you play football. Go to the HOF and look at the list of players at the skill positions on offense (wr and Rb), you will find few burners. I picked offense because their speed level is more easily recognized.

For the topic at hand a burner lb would be a sub 4'6, fast a sub 4'7 and average a sub 4'8.

I was going to originally say that Mike didn't show that he was B1G Worthy much less NFL Worthy so I appreciate your assessment being the same as mine. Although I think taxi squad position may be a stretch as well.

NFL pro bowl is not a bench mark, is a popluartiy contest and a negotiation tool. Greenway is serviceable. But hardly the best in the division certainly not in the conference. When I am thinking linebacker I am thinking Patrick Willis, Demarcus Ware, Navorro Bowman, Clay Matthews. And then there is Urlacher. Linebackers set the tone. You cannot win without a hammer in the middle.

NFL pro bowl is not a bench mark, is a popluartiy contest and a negotiation tool. Greenway is serviceable. But hardly the best in the division certainly not in the conference. When I am thinking linebacker I am thinking Patrick Willis, Demarcus Ware, Navorro Bowman, Clay Matthews. And then there is Urlacher. Linebackers set the tone. You cannot win without a hammer in the middle.

In my opinion Chad Greenway is twice the "linebacker" Demarcus Ware and Clay Matthews are. Before I get slammed, I think Clay Matthews is a very overrated Linebackers and a very underrated Defensive Ends. Matthews and Ware play a glorified Defensive End position in the 3-4 defense. They are only linebackers by positional name.

Chad Greenway's career low for tackles in a season is 99 in 2009
Clay Matthews's high for tackles in a season is 60 in 2010
Demarcus Ware's high for tackles in a season is 84 in 2007 and 2008.

I was going to originally say that Mike didn't show that he was B1G Worthy much less NFL Worthy so I appreciate your assessment being the same as mine. Although I think taxi squad position may be a stretch as well.

Rallis was a solid/average player before he changed positions this past year. He certainly wasn't great by any means but I don't think that means he wasn't "B1G worthy".

40 times for the linebackers you listed from the official NFL combine are as follows:

Brian Urlacher - 4.57 sec
Navorro Bowman- 4.70 sec
DeMarcus Ware- 4.56 sec
Clay Matthews- 4.67 sec
Patrick Willis- 4.51 sec

If none of these "benchmark" linebackers ran the 40 in 4.50 seconds or less then why would you expect Rallis to do so? Its okay if you believe Rallis is not an NFL caliber linebacker but please dont use his 40 time as a justification to arrive at that conclusion. There are plenty of linebackers in the NFL who are slower than him and are not just surviving but thriving.

Rallis is a guy without a position

He is not big enough to be a linebacker and does not have linebacker instincts or the foot speed to cover the tight end. Ultimately he is a little slow of foot to be a safety. He seems to play better in space and would be a better safety if he were faster and could change directions quicker. Thought he would be a good blitzer if he didn't over play his angles or over commit as often as he does. He is not without talent, and could be an effective special teams guy.
HE is a hard enough worker that he might convince a team to give him a free agent tryout. He needs a good BS'r of an agent to work some magic.
All you need to stick in the league the NFL these days for a few years on a rookie contract is the ability to work cheap by NFL standards and stand out on special teams, do the dirty work. That would likely be his niche if he is to stick in the NFL, a gunner on special teams kick off and punt team, and the wegde buster(rules change and all).

Top Bottom