Charley Walters: Athlete compensation changes came too late for ex-Gopher Darrell Thompson

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Shooter:

Darrell Thompson played football for the University of Minnesota from 1986-1989 and still owns the school’s career rushing record of 4,518 yards as well as touchdowns (40).

Thompson remembers as a Gophers sophomore walking with close friend and teammate Chris Gaiters through a sports apparel store at Minneapolis City Center with “$14 or $15” in his pocket. Gaiters happen to notice a Darrell Thompson No. 39 jersey for sale in the store.

Surprised, he asked Thompson, “Do you get anything for that?”

Thompson replied, “What do you think? You know I don’t have anything.”

Had Thompson, the popular former Rochester John Marshall star, been playing for the Gophers today, he would be a prime prospect for hefty compensation from marketing his name, image and likeness (NIL), an opportunity recently approved by the NCAA via a U.S. Supreme Court ruling.

“Yeah, I would have enjoyed that,” said Thompson, who went on to play five seasons for the Green Bay Packers.

“It would have been nice if you could make money; it would have made a difference,” he said of his college experience. “It will be interesting to see what the young men and ladies do to capitalize on it now. I hope it doesn’t get out of control. But I think the market will eventually self-regulate itself, similar to what it does in the NFL.”

Adam Weber, who quarterbacked the Gophers 2007-10, still holds a handful of school passing records.

“I think it’s fair that people get compensated for their likeness,” the celebrated Mounds View grad, who went on to NFL contracts with Denver and Tampa Bay, said. “But it could be scary. How much does that become your driving factor? Potentially, some of these guys are looking at a lot of money. The more engagements you try to do, things that could eat up their time. It’s college; there’s still school. It’s one of those slippery slopes.

“I left school with no complaints in regards to being paid for likeness. A couple dollars in the pocket would go a long way, for sure. But that would have been just a bonus.”

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom