Charles Hallman: Urgently needed: Gopher culture purge

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Hallman:

The Gopher athletic culture, especially football, is cesspool-like. It’s the same culture that last year allowed wrestlers to buy and sell drugs on campus, and the coach’s way of disciplining them was to assign them term papers to write.

It’s the same culture that forced a Black female to leave the track team because she felt her claims of harassment and insensitivity by male athletes and a trainer were not taken seriously.

It’s the same culture where a high school recruit used his on-campus recruiting visit like a Vegas weekend, and his football player hosts treated him to an underage sexual healing experience. It’s the same culture that added a young female to the legions of those who have been sexually abused and permanently scarred because some young men don’t know what “no” means.

“Rape culture is not OK on college campuses,” said U of M student James Farnsworth.

Since 1991, when I added U of M football to my college sports beat, I have covered seven coaches — John Gutekunst, Jim Wacker, Glen Mason, Tim Brewster, Jeff Horton, Jerry Kill and Claeys. All but Horton and Claeys I pretty much got along with. But this columnist sees Gopher football on the field as a second-class program.

They haven’t won a Big Ten title since 1967. They haven’t been national champs since 1960. They haven’t won 10 games since 2003, and that was the first time Minnesota achieved double-digit wins since 1905. They ballyhoo made-for-cable bowl games and victories as if they were classic epics.

They can’t beat such Big Ten powers as Michigan (.262 winning percentage), Ohio State (.137) and Michigan State (.370). They can’t attract “A” players from such prep football hotbeds as Texas and Florida in order to compete with these powers.

It’s not big-time football but rather a starter program, like training wheels for a coach to cut his head coaching teeth on before going off to better places. Fleck formerly coached at Western Michigan, a mid-major in a mid-major Mid-American Conference. And Coyle now will pay Claeys a half-million dollars and $4.5 million to his assistants — that’s $5 million in unemployment coaches’ benefits.

http://msrnews.online/2017/01/10/urgently-needed-gopher-culture-purge/

Go Gophers!!

For a moment, I was worried Charles (Buck) Hallman had arisen from the grave.

Pure click bait article. Sad.

What fish-wrap is the MSR? Never heard of it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is the oldest African American owned media in the state. 1933.
Not some internet startup. Not to shame you, but this is a thing. A real thing that deserves respect for perseverance.

Not some internet startup. Not to shame you, but this is a thing. A real thing that deserves respect for perseverance.

No shame in it, I've never heard of it either.

Where is it published and distributed? Lived in Mpls til '88 and never ran into it. I am surprised that a venerable media outlet owned by an African American family/consortium would be so negative about a culture in which many of 10 young African American men were being labeled as rapists although they were not.

As Saintpaulguy notes, MSR has a long and, it should be added, important history even with Gopher Hole (from three years ago):

http://spokesman-recorder.com/2014/04/09/gopher-fans-website-doesnt-play-fair/

The MSR has served this community for 80 years, at least four times longer than the Hole, which I don’t consider journalism but a digital rah-rah site. While some Hole readers complain about our newspaper, about me or Edwards, or about our objectively, clearly they don’t understand or don’t want to understand the legacy and significance of the Black Press, locally or nationally.

There’s nothing wrong with the Hole followers seeing things only through maroon and gold-colored glasses. But instead of these readers being civil with their counter-arguments, they are insulting and racist. Their profanity-laced rants are childlike and show remedial-level English proficiency.

There is nothing wrong with being passionate about a particular team or school. What bothers me is not what Edwards said, or even if I agree with him or not, but that people respond to him as cowardly word assassins. Edwards proudly uses his name each week in his columns and doesn’t hide behind some nitwit moniker. The person or persons who respond should be man or woman enough to use their real names whether they agree or disagree with him.

That is being fair and balanced. Anything else is totally unacceptable

I knew about the msr but not about the feud. That article is unintentionally hilarious I must say.

LOL. I've lived here my whole life and never heard of it. Based on the 1 article I have now seen I realize why. What a joke. Respect? Nope.

Yay, another story lamenting the football teams off the field behavior. I was so not ready to move on from this.

Where is it published and distributed? Lived in Mpls til '88 and never ran into it. I am surprised that a venerable media outlet owned by an African American family/consortium would be so negative about a culture in which many of 10 young African American men were being labeled as rapists although they were not.

The black players had white privilege.

I grew up in Saint Paul and I've never heard of it.

That said, I don't really respect newspapers that publish stuff like this. So nope, no respect for them from my end.

I salute Mr. Hallman. This is the best article on this mess that I have seen. He gets it. If more men did, we wouldn't be arguing about whether the woman's "no" on tape meant yes or not.

"especially football"

Immediately goes on to talk about a lot of non football stuff.

Everything is a "culture" now to explain why something is, usually done without any actual knowledge. I'm drinking coffee, I guess that's coffee culture or something.

I grew up in Saint Paul and I've never heard of it.

That said, I don't really respect newspapers that publish stuff like this. So nope, no respect for them from my end.

I grew up in St. Paul as well. Growing up IIRC it was the Minneapolis Spokesman and the Saint Paul Recorder. Distribution was limited, so I could understand if you haven't seen it. I usually saw it in churches with congregations that were majority black, or barbershops that were mostly patronized by people of /African-American descent. Sometimes I'd see it in businesses in the Summit-University and Midway neighborhoods.

I grew up in St. Paul as well. Growing up IIRC it was the Minneapolis Spokesman and the Saint Paul Recorder. Distribution was limited, so I could understand if you haven't seen it. I usually saw it in churches with congregations that were majority black, or barbershops that were mostly patronized by people of /African-American descent. Sometimes I'd see it in businesses in the Summit-University and Midway neighborhoods.

I am sure I've seen it, I just don't remember it.

I salute Mr. Hallman. This is the best article on this mess that I have seen. He gets it. If more men did, we wouldn't be arguing about whether the woman's "no" on tape meant yes or not.

Yep, you get it. The police. . . nah. YOU get it. Makes sense.

I believe the 5 original players should be kicked off the team. I also think there is a culture problem based on the string of text messages we saw. Obviously not the entire team is like that, but enough to be worried about. I also think Claeys handled the whole thing terribly. So I should be a person who would agree with this article. With that being said, I think this is an absolutely terrible article. Poor journalism.

Correct. Many of the businesses on Selby had it on the racks.

I am sure I've seen it, I just don't remember it.

Not that serious. It is kind of like the Highland Villager. I've seen it and even read articles in it once or twice. I don't really remember anything about it though.

Peace my St. Paul brother.

I think the point is that these upwards of 10 African American men wouldn't have engaged is this type of behavior if they weren't immersed in the cesspool that is the University of Minnesota.

Ha! Yes you've seen it. Don't ask me why, but a random Tiger Jack thought popped into my mind.

You made my smile for the day with that. Charcoal, greeting cards, cold pop. And a smile and a wave.

Nothing better than a good purge. Just ask Comrades Mao and Stalin. [emoji59] [emoji63]

You made my smile for the day with that. Charcoal, greeting cards, cold pop. And a smile and a wave.

Yes sir! Likewise. Simple joys in life. Though I didn't live in that area, I do remember the few times I interacted with Tiger Jack, and the numerous times I was the recipient of that smile and wave. Incredible to think how much impact a simple smile and wave can have on a person. Tiger Jack was and is loved by ALL! You know you are living right when you have (or have had) an exhibit area in the state's Historical society.

Top Bottom