Charles Hallman: Clem Haskins deserves better from the U of M and Gopher fans

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Charles:

No matter what transpired decades ago, the state’s largest university’s first permanent Black male head coach in school history deserves more than just a passing notice. If Indiana University can honor Knight as it did a couple of weeks ago, who did a lot worse than anything Haskins did, then Haskins’ name should be more than an unfortunate footnote in the Gophers’ record books. The U of M should do more to let the world know this as well.

“I think he did a lot for this place,” Izzo said of Haskins.

“I try to develop young men to be successful fathers and employees,” Haskins simply explained. “They are all successful young men in the community of Minnesota or wherever they may relocate.”

Asked how he really wants to be remembered around these parts, Haskins reflected fondly on what happens whenever he and his former players get together: “Every player would tell me, ‘Coach, we tell our sons and daughters the same way you [taught] us. We became good parents and good fathers from some of the things we learned from you.’ That makes you feel good.”

“I think Minnesota need to recognize [Haskins] and put all that stuff behind,” Melvin Newbern (1988-90) said. “I think sooner or later they will give him his due.”

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom