Change that Starts with Us

neut41

Reaction score
With so many people talking about what the coaches and players did wrong, I think a change that can be made and started by many of us on the board is to try and change the crowd's attitude. It seems the majority of Minnesota fans are bandwagon fans who only cheer when their team gives them something to cheer about. The people on the board are not in that majority, so why not make the extra effort to lead by actions on how real fans behave. All to often during the Badger game, I looked around and saw fans sitting on their hands in a quiet stadium resigned to the fate that the Gophers were going to find a way to lose the game. As soon as Wisconsin had that 10 point lead, it was like the game was already over. Here's what needs to be done:

1. Yell at the correct times, even if when it looks like the momentum is on the other side. A little crowd noise can kill a visiting team's momentum. That means yelling on all third downs at any time in the game. Yelling on all downs inside the redzone. Yelling on basically every defensive series in the fourth quarter. Certainly, noise is welcome for all defensive series throughout the entire game, but considering that is likely asking too much of our bandwagon fans, at least make noise during the times I mentioned.

2. Encourage the rest of your section to cheer, even when it looks like the team is going to pull another Gophers choke job. It's like the fans have the attitude that the Gophers are going to give the game away, so why even try? Of course, that attitude makes it easier for the visiting to run their offense during key times throughout the game, and it also robs the Gopher defense of what should be a good home-field advantage. Yes, many past Gopher teams did not rise to the challenge, but if the crowd keeps waiting for the Gophers to do something great and the Gophers team keeps looking for crowd support that doesn't exist, then we're just going to be stuck in the current status quo of an apathetic crowd and a team that doesn't come through in the clutch.

3. Yell support for players who do the little things throughout a play that might go unrecognized. All to often, people are focused on Weber or Decker or whomever has the ball or makes the tackle, instead of noticing a big block, someone clogging up the middle by taking on a doubleteam on defense, someone keeping outside contain and funneling a ballcarrier to the LBs, etc. If you see someone else who didn't get the ball or who didn't make the tackle but did something big to make the play happen, be sure to cheer for them. It might be wishful thinking, but I figure that if we find more things to be positive about other than just the obvious situations, then the easier it will be in key moments for people to keep the fan volume high.

There are many more items that could be added to the list, but the key is the same... As fans, we can't change how the coaches coach or the players play, so we might as well change how we support the team and, by leading by example, how the rest of the crowd supports the team when adversity strikes. Even though I personally have some problems with our coaching staff (particularly Cosgrove and his read-and-react, huge cornerback cushion and inability to teach proper tackling fundamentals that plagued his time at Nebraska and is rearing its ugly head here in Minnesota), the decision on their fate rests with Maturi and the powers that be. The decision on how we support our team is up to us.

Outside of hardcore fans what do the casuals have to be excited about when the results are always the same?

2. Encourage the rest of your section to cheer, even when it looks like the team is going to pull another Gophers choke job.

I did my part. I encouraged the little kid sitting in front of me to cheer really loud for a big 3rd down defensive stand late in the game. He hadn't even watched a play all game I suspected. He actually put his little hands together gently to form a "kind-of" clap. The result? Fumble return for a Gopher TD. Thank you very much..

Outside of hardcore fans what do the casuals have to be excited about when the results are always the same?

That's exactly what I was getting at when I said the following:

Yes, many past Gopher teams did not rise to the challenge, but if the crowd keeps waiting for the Gophers to do something great and the Gophers team keeps looking for crowd support that doesn't exist, then we're just going to be stuck in the current status quo of an apathetic crowd and a team that doesn't come through in the clutch.

The point is it's up to us to try and motivate different pockets of the stadium to support the team, even when the past has been filled with disappointment. It's a key step in the evolution of this program if it ever wants to become the program that the administration and coaches keep saying they are trying to build.

That's exactly what I was getting at when I said the following:

The point is it's up to us to try and motivate different pockets of the stadium to support the team, even when the past has been filled with disappointment. It's a key step in the evolution of this program if it ever wants to become the program that the administration and coaches keep saying they are trying to build.

I agree...but I think Brewster has done all he can do off the field now it's time to get them excited about what happens *ON* the field.......

Unfortunately, I won't be able to get out to a game this year, but I will next. There were only 500 or so of us G fans at the Syracuse game, but we yelled like hell and the players frequently looked to our area and appreciated our support.

In terms of crowd noise, it certainly can disrupt the opponent's play execution and morale. That said, even the most manic fans...witness the 110,000 screaming fanatics in Happy Valley at the Iowa/PSU game...cannot will a team to victory.

Realistically, its mostly about relative talent, creative and disciplined coaching, focused players and relatively mistake-free execution of the on-field game plan. Fans can't control any of those factors in the winning equation.

I have seen improvement with the people sitting around me. I have so far yelled myself horse at the three games this year and Saturday a number of the fair weather fans joined in with me. They now stand more, and make 100% more noise on third downs than at the first two games.

Even saw a couple of them do the superman arms before Goldy does his pushups. I'm not saying that part is a huge deal, but its pretty funny to see awkward grown men doing it without really understanding why.

As I've posted elsewhere, 212 regressed this game in my opinion.

But like others have posted, Wisconsin is done.

Looking forward to a strong team effort against the Boilers, with the 12th and 13th Men represented.

Basic training shall continue until the Gopher Brigades are fully operational at The Bank.

Go Gophers! Beat Purdue!

Wrong, wrong, wrong... You cannot criticize the fans and call them fair-weather fans who complain when we don't play well -- because quite frankly, they have a right to complain. Fact is, most of these people (which in many people's cases means their whole life) have cheered for the Gophers for DECADES and want to see success. You have to credit fans for dealing with a losing program for decades and still be a fan. You certainly cannot criticize them for complaining when the product on the field is subpar. Would you rather they be a true fair-weather fan and quit following the team? I certainly am not interested in empty seats at the new stadium that will be filled by rival fans.

Point taken. However, the point of my post is that rather than complain about everything over which we have relatively little control, let's at least try to improve the one thing that we can influence... leading fans by example. We can complain all we want about coaching, but the only person with any real power to do anything is Maturi. If something needs to be done on that front, it's his decision and, if he screws up, it may cost him his job as well.

fans booing when the gophers were taking a lead into halftime? you gotta be *&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#ting me, the crowd was non existant the whole game, it was actually sad, ive heard high school games louder

Top Bottom