CFP teams hosting questions

Reaction score
So teams who can host a playoff game will be able to change the venue to a site other than their stadium? Not sure why they would do that but could our beloved team change venues pending availability to another venue to avoid playing in sub zero weather?

So teams who can host a playoff game will be able to change the venue to a site other than their stadium? Not sure why they would do that but could our beloved team change venues pending availability to another venue to avoid playing in sub zero weather?
They could, but I can't imagine that they would. PJ embraces the cold and I think he feels that it would be an advantage against almost any potential opponent. Gene Smith won't still be the AD at Ohio State when such a decision could be made, but he's indicated in the past that he leaned toward an indoor venue.

I would think playing at US bank would be more attractive to the fans if it is below zero. Definitely a bigger crowd and if you need the cold to win, what does that say about the next game in the sun? The venue may not be available anyway.

I would imagine there are some stadiums that are not, and have no ability to be, winterized in the case of extremely cold weather?

I would think playing at US bank would be more attractive to the fans if it is below zero. Definitely a bigger crowd and if you need the cold to win, what does that say about the next game in the sun? The venue may not be available anyway.
If USA can play an outdoor world cup qualifying soccer game in zero degree weather (Allianz Field 2022) we can play an outdoor football game. Let the Vikings have the indoor football.

Two simple reasons would explain why it might be attractive for the such a move:

- Chance to sell more tickets.
- If the Playoff is on a Friday would avoid conflicts with when classes were in session, finals are being taken or is a normal workday for campus employees.

I would think playing at US bank would be more attractive to the fans if it is below zero.
The games are December 20 and 21. Could it be below zero? Sure. It could also be 50. The average high those days is 26 and the average low is 13. Cold, but I'd be shocked if the U couldn't sell out a playoff game on those dates and we've played through weather before.
Definitely a bigger crowd and if you need the cold to win, what does that say about the next game in the sun?
Who gives a shit? The goal that day is to win. Just like schools in the south benefit from the heat or Northwestern benefits from growing the grass out. It's called a home field advantage for a reason. You don't apologize for it.
The venue may not be available anyway.

The Vikings are in Seattle that weekend, don't know what else might be booked at the stadium.

Reactions: pk2

Two simple reasons would explain why it might be attractive for the such a move:

- Chance to sell more tickets.
- If the Playoff is on a Friday would avoid conflicts with when classes were in session, finals are being taken or is a normal workday for campus employees.
They could sell more tickets since it's a larger venue, but any campus conflicts on that Friday night or Saturday would be minimal. Finals are over on Thursday.

They could sell more tickets since it's a larger venue, but any campus conflicts on that Friday night or Saturday would be minimal. Finals are over on Thursday.
Thanks for clarifying with how it specifically relates to the Gophers this season.

I was commenting in general terms for other schools that may have a nearby bigger options for ticket sales and potentially a different Finals/Class schedule. Gophers could also have a different Finals schedule in future years depending on the calendar.

Thanks for clarifying with how it specifically relates to the Gophers this season.

I was commenting in general terms for other schools that may have a nearby bigger options for ticket sales and potentially a different Finals/Class schedule. Gophers could also have a different Finals schedule in future years depending on the calendar.
To me the main priority of that game is to win it. Cold weather may hurt ticket sales, but if cold weather gives us an advantage in the game we should use it. What are the odds of us hosting a playoff game in the next 10 years though????

To me the main priority of that game is to win it. Cold weather may hurt ticket sales, but if cold weather gives us an advantage in the game we should use it. What are the odds of us hosting a playoff game in the next 10 years though????
I don't think the Gophers play particularly well in cold weather, having seen them lose to Iowa and Wisconsin in brutal conditions. I think the advantage would be minimal to non-existent depending on the opponent.

I don't think the Gophers play particularly well in cold weather, having seen them lose to Iowa and Wisconsin in brutal conditions. I think the advantage would be minimal to non-existent depending on the opponent.
Iowa and Wisconsin have been built for the cold too though.

And Ibrahim in his career fumbles once in every 800 some touches

If it happens any other game Minnesota beats Iowa and it means Minnesota plays great in the cold and Iowa doesn’t 😂

Which would seem foolish given that perhaps generally 10 or 11 of the regular season games (plus the Big 10 Championship) are not played in overly "cold" conditions.

Regarding finals:

If the Gophs are playing a home playoff game, nobody takes a final exam and everyone gets an A. Just an idea. Of course college wasn't my strong suit.

Top Bottom