CFN says...

Ski U Master

Reaction score
23) If you don’t have NFL Network, don’t worry. The two bowl games broadcast on the niche cable network, which doesn’t enjoy good market penetration at this point (but might soon become a mainstream entity if the Obama administration has its way with the Federal Communications Commission), aren’t worth the time. Rice has two all-time-great players in Chase Clement and Jarett Dillard, but a matchup with the third-place team in the MAC West doesn’t provide too much of a “wow” factor in the Texas Bowl. The other NFL Network bowl game is the Insight, in which Kansas—fresh from the exhilarating upset of Missouri—should whip a reeling Minnesota team that has lost stamina, resolve and identity

The worst part is I think they may be right. :mad:

IF (and that's a big 'if') Decker can come back healthy, then I see no reason why we shouldn't be able to give Kansas a game. Clearly our offense went in the tank when he started to become injured, so if he is back and healthy I think our offense can return to some of it's old form. In this case I think getting a W would still be unlikely, but it would at least be attainable.

I would agree thought that this could get ugly if Decker is not back.

23) If you don’t have NFL Network, don’t worry. The two bowl games broadcast on the niche cable network, which doesn’t enjoy good market penetration at this point (but might soon become a mainstream entity if the Obama administration has its way with the Federal Communications Commission), aren’t worth the time. Rice has two all-time-great players in Chase Clement and Jarett Dillard, but a matchup with the third-place team in the MAC West doesn’t provide too much of a “wow” factor in the Texas Bowl. The other NFL Network bowl game is the Insight, in which Kansas—fresh from the exhilarating upset of Missouri—should whip a reeling Minnesota team that has lost stamina, resolve and identity

After the Michigan game nobody gave us a chance against Wisconsin either. This team plays better in that position.

What can be changed?

I think two of three charges against MN can be refuted by a strong bowl performace. A large upset of Kansas would squash might place such comments in the soon forgotten column.

The Stamina part is believable and conclusive. Even a win in the bowl, after weeks of rest, won't be evidence that, at least on the offensive side of the ball, stamina down the stretch was a problem.

The other to charges that the team lost resolve and identity are definitely in play in Phoenix. The rollout of a more dynamic running offense including punishing blocking could open up some of the high flying offense passing that the spread offense has promissed, but has failed to deliver for two seasons. If the identity that the Gophers lost was that it was some sort of spread wonderland, the problem lied with the perseption forming that illussion.

Minnesota's defense was placed in a continually festering "Bad Place" by an offense that could not be counted on to score points or more inportantly down the stretch get small yards when necessary to continue a drive. By the time Iowa came arround, stamina became a question becasue depth though improved over 2007 was in question. Stamina became such a problem that resolve became difficult.

But resolve and identity are elements of character, and the team that takes the field on 31 Dec has to lay their claim to having a strong character on the line; and prove that their identity and that resolve is not only intact, but that those elements have grown and strengthen and this season with its big ups and down has led to an improved team character.

If they can do that they will have controlled the outside perception of this team to the degree that they are able.

I can honestly say I've completely given up on our Offense this season. We had Decker during Iowa and we didn't score a point so I don't see how a healthy Decker is just gonna magically make us a contender in this game.......

Decker was not nearly healthy enough to be a real factor against Iowa. But also, it's very interesting that we were able to put up 32 against Wisconsin, but at home we struggled. I wonder if playing out in Arizona will help for some weird reason, whatever it is. In all honesty, I think this team played better on the road all season than they did at the Dome. Think about it:

Home games: NIU (barely won), Montana St. (didn't play well), FAU (great game), Indiana (blah), Northwestern (okay, but lost), Michigan (crap), Iowa (big crap)
Away games: Bowling Green (resounding win), Ohio State (blown out, but look at MSU and NU to find out how easy that is), Illinois (played well), Purdue (blah), Wisconsin (competed well in defeat).

I don't know, I felt our only good home game really was the FAU game. Meanwhile, I think BG, Illinois, and Wisconsin were all quality performances by our team. I don't know what it is, but I feel like we've been a better road team than home team this year.

Totally agree Monty. The team did seem to play well on the road vs. at home, and the home competition wasn't all that great (Indiana, Michigan, Montana State).

That being said, having seen a number of Kansas' games this year living down in Big 12 Country, we haven't faced a functioning offense like this all year. KU is a tough match up for us. Their QB reminds me a little of Drew Brees and their biggest advantage is their coaching staff which is top notch.

They struggled on defense most of the year (losing their stellar CB from last year hurt them alot) but the big question will be, can we take advantage of it? We will struggle to run the ball. Our O-line will struggle, but if we can get Weber time and Decker is fully healthy, we can probably hand with them and then we'll see.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not just calling a Gopher upset here or anything (though I could easily see us winning), but I'm just saying I don't think our offense will completely flounder like it did for those two home games against Michigan and Iowa. At least early that is. I can see us hanging around before Kansas pulls away in the 2nd half and wins in like 35-24 style or something like that.

Nobody gave us a chance against Texas Tech either and we only lost by 3. Wierd things happen in bowl games. The month of rest combined with a different climate can contribute to the strangeness. I expect Minnesota to give Kansas a good game.

Top Bottom