CFN: P.J. Fleck Named Minnesota Head Football Coach: 5 Provocative Musings

Gopher07

Captain of Awesome
Reaction score
http://collegefootballnews.com/2017...ota-head-football-coach-5-provocative-musings

Jim Harbaugh is so 2016.

Now the Gophers have the freshest, most energetic head coach in thr Big Ten, getting a guy in Fleck who could’ve and should’ve been offered the Purdue gig before Jeff Brohm took over, and is a far better prospect than D.J. Durkin was when Maryland got him last year, or Chris Ash when he took over at Rutgers.

More than that, Minnesota has the hottest coach in the West – he’s going to be the big story every week this season, which is exactly what the program needs. It needs a buzz that Jerry Kill and Tracy Claeys – as good as they were – never generated.

I suggest clicking on that article. It'll get your chili hot...

Had Claeys handled the boycott situation better, and had he not erroneously backed the players like he did, he’d still be the head coach after a strong nine-win season.

Not true

Kill/Claeys got the Gophers as far as they could.

We will never know

Part of the problem from my not-nearly-as-informed perspective as most on the Football side is this is what the administration wanted from the beginning and would have done so no matter what. The "tweet" just gave them cover and a "reason" to can Claeys and become heroes to the academic world. Canning a 9-4 coach with our history would have appeared petty and delusional without the "presenting problem" of boycott, tweet, and suspensions.

I have no idea who P.J. Fleck is, but I'm not a fan of blowhards. I hope he can coach, put people in the seats and keep the department solvent.

Part of the problem from my not-nearly-as-informed perspective as most on the Football side is this is what the administration wanted from the beginning and would have done so no matter what. The "tweet" just gave them cover and a "reason" to can Claeys and become heroes to the academic world. Canning a 9-4 coach with our history would have appeared petty and delusional without the "presenting problem" of boycott, tweet, and suspensions.

I have no idea who P.J. Fleck is, but I'm not a fan of blowhards. I hope he can coach, put people in the seats and keep the department solvent.

Agreed. The further we get from the firing, the more it appears that Fleck had been contacted weeks ago, the firing was going to happen no matter the results in San Diego, and it was all scheduled around WMU's game against Wisconsin. May not be true, but that's how it looks...

Top Bottom