CFN: College Football Head Coach Rankings (#54. PJ Fleck, Minnesota; BT Rank: 12)

BleedGopher

Reaction score

"...there needs to be a sign that something bigger is coming."

Wtf does this even mean? The writers or AI generating these articles are fucking stupid. 8+ wins is a standard we should be satisfied with, expecting anything greater than that is crazy talk. We don't have the resources or fan base to compete for conference or national titles with the big guns in this conference. Gone are the days where a wily gameplan can get you wins against a powerhouse. Competitive games (generally) with regular wins against Wisconsin and ioaw, good grad rates and GPA, and a lack of off the field issues is something to be happy with. That's not settling for mediocrity, that's real. Look at the big picture. Having an occasional 10-11 win run every decade or so with a predictable yearly output in the meantime is just fine. Last year was an outlier, we're back to 8+ wins this year. These guys will come to play.

I agree. Very poor writing. What does "something bigger" mean? Is there any context? Did any thought go into this at all?

Fleck's ranking seems awful low. But I do not think very much analysis went into this. Drive-by reporting......

Last edited:

This disrespect in this article alone might bring Kane Rob and Locked on Gophers out of retirement. I like watching the channel but they haven't made a video in weeks.

Aside from Fleck, I find Matt Rhule being put so high kind of odd. I get he has a good college resume, but the same is true for Brett Bielema who is at a tougher place with less resources. And if we're taking more recent success into account, how is Greg Schiano ahead of Fleck?

Looking on the bright side, a 12 ranking in 2010 would have him at the bottom of the conference coaches. Now he's middling around the middle with 18 schools in the conference.

2019 is the bar to beat for Coach Fleck. 'Ain't there yet...

Per CFN:

54 PJ Fleck, Minnesota​

Wins at FBS Coach: 80
Big Ten Rank: 12

After two nine-win seasons and an 11-2 2019, things seemed a tad stale last year. After seven years the Gophers are consistently good, but there needs to be a sign that something bigger is coming.

Go Gophers!!

I wonder what the rank was last season.

Fleck deserves to be nicked after the last season but that is TEMPORARY.

He gets a slap to the hand for last year but should bounce back up.

Aside from Fleck, I find Matt Rhule being put so high kind of odd. I get he has a good college resume, but the same is true for Brett Bielema who is at a tougher place with less resources. And if we're taking more recent success into account, how is Greg Schiano ahead of Fleck?
After long thought I've come to the conclusion that this guy simply doesn't know what he's yapping about

I don't necessarily blame the author but a lot of people don't realize how difficult it is to be consistently good/decent at MN.

It is hard to know what is real and not real with AI. It could also be a terrible writer.

The Bowling Green loss was a tough loss that impacted the Gophers.

It is hard to know what is real and not real with AI. It could also be a terrible writer.

The Bowling Green loss was a tough loss that impacted the Gophers.
They beat bowling green?
Or are you talking about a game from 2021?

Meanwhile Neal Brown is rated 53 but lost to PJ fleck later in that same 2021 season.

They beat bowling green?
Or are you talking about a game from 2021?

Meanwhile Neal Brown is rated 53 but lost to PJ fleck later in that same 2021 season.
2021. They lost to a BGSU team that was a 31-point underdog.

Top Bottom