CFN: Bold Predictions for the Legends Division

Gopher07

Captain of Awesome
Reaction score
http://cfn.scout.com/2/1200957.html

Minnesota Bold Predictions-

Phil Harrison:

The Golden Gophers will start the season 5-1. That’s right--it’s a downright resurgence in the Twin Cities. Jerry Kill will have had a year for his system to sink in, and will take advantage of an easy first part of the schedule to get things lifted off the ground and rolling. But wait--they won’t be feeling Minnesota for long. As is customary, the wheels will fall off faster than a Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes split once conference play really heats up. Still, even sniffing a bowl would be a legitimate program changer in TCF Bank Stadium.

Bart Doan:

The Gophers have a bowl team on their hands, and MarQueis Gray will explode. I got a chance to see him play at Ben Davis in Indianapolis once upon a time and was astounded. A bumpy path has him one last shot. Minny has a tough slate for a team that Jerry Kill admitted wasn’t much when he inherited, then laid to waste after they lost by 58 to Michigan. It will come down to the final game against Sparty up north, where Minnesota has taken 4 of the last 5 and nearly shocked MSU last year with a “developing” team. Buy your bowl tickets, Gopher faithful.

Terry Johnson:

Okay, I’m in too. The Golden Gophers will earn a bowl bid this season. The Jerry Kill era didn’t start well, but the team began to pick up the new system in the second half of the year, winning two of its final three home games. As Phil points out, Minnesota has very manageable early season schedule. All the Gophers would need to go bowling is to pull a late-season upset, something they have done in each of the past two seasons. Who’s coming with me?

It sounds like their bold predictions are that the gophers will win 6-7 games. That's frightening.

It sounds like their bold predictions are that the gophers will win 6-7 games. That's frightening.

It's reality. I don't think being bothered by it as a fan accomplishes much at this point.

It's realistic to be honest. It's what I've been saying for months. If we don't win our 4 non-conference games the season starts out in major disappointment. If we can pull off the upset in Iowa, 6-0 is not out of the question.

Its pretty bold....I hope the gophers get it (less Kinnick)

The note that the Gophers have taken 4 of 5 against Sparty shocked me, but then I remembered that there were a couple of years where they were off the schedule. Still, it shows just how fast they risen to relevance in the conference.

The note that the Gophers have taken 4 of 5 against Sparty shocked me, but then I remembered that there was a couple of years where they were off the schedule. Still, it shows just how fast they risen to relevance in the conference.

Two factors:

1. Dantonio is an outstanding coach.

2. DickRod became too concerned with recruiting FL and the other speed states, and forgot that he had plenty of great talent in his own backyard, offering a vacuum of which MSU took great advantage.

From 2005-2008, here were MSU's Rivals finishes in the Big Ten (retroactively counting Nebraska):

2005: 8th
2006: 6th
2007: 8th
2008: 8th

Beginning in 2009 (DickRod's first full recruiting class at Michigan), here were their finishes over the next 4 classes:

2009: 3rd
2010: 5th
2011: 5th
2012: 5th

They have been reaping the rewards of having several straight Top 5 classes in the Big Ten. They should strike while the iron is hot on the field, however. I think they are beginning their descent back to the lower half of the conference. Hoke, the big "Michigan Man" that he is, has placed a focus on in-state recruiting not seen there in quite some time. In 2012, Michigan signed 7 of the top 10 in-state prospects, something they had never done in the Rivals era. In 2013, they currently have commitments from 5 of the top 10, including 4 of the top 5. Not coincidentally, MSU only has 2 (#7 and #10), and they are back to their pre-Rod recruiting standing, currently ranking 8th in the conference.

The other thing about MSU recruiting - and this is based on hearsay, 3rd hand information, but I pass it along here (after all, what is Gopher Hole for, if not for hearsay, 3rd hand information) - is that my brother-in-law who is friends with Wisconsin asst coaches said that they told him that Ohio State under Tressel generally helped MSU out. The theory - as he described it - was that Tressel and Dantonio had a great relationship and when talented players arose who OSU couldn't take (either because OSU's class/position was already full or maybe because the recruit was borderline academically), then Tressel would try to steer them towards MSU. This also had the benefit of hurting Michigan.

So anyway, now that Tressel's gone, the "help" to MSU would end/be reduced, under this theory.

The other thing about MSU recruiting - and this is based on hearsay, 3rd hand information, but I pass it along here (after all, what is Gopher Hole for, if not for hearsay, 3rd hand information) - is that my brother-in-law who is friends with Wisconsin asst coaches said that they told him that Ohio State under Tressel generally helped MSU out. The theory - as he described it - was that Tressel and Dantonio had a great relationship and when talented players arose who OSU couldn't take (either because OSU's class/position was already full or maybe because the recruit was borderline academically), then Tressel would try to steer them towards MSU. This also had the benefit of hurting Michigan.

So anyway, now that Tressel's gone, the "help" to MSU would end/be reduced, under this theory.

I have heard the same. The gravy train has stopped on both counts now.

Should we send a box of steaks to Meyer in Kill's name? :)

No! Meyer is a scumbag. He'd eat, or more likely sell, the steaks and then call ESPN and tell them that Mn tried to bribe him.

Top Bottom