CFB News: Pam Ward removed from ESPN's college football coverage

Wow... I can't believe it took this long. I have NO PROBLEM with female voices on sports broadcasts but she was just horrible and I literally found myself in the rare situation where I was avoiding some of the games she called simply because she was so bad. Not big games, mind you, but if there was a choice and everything else was equal I would go out of my way to avoid her. I specifically recall that 2009 game at Syracuse that she "called." Horrible.

When it came game time where Pam Ward was working, I changed the channel to reruns of poker tournaments.

Pam Ward

Whenever Pam Ward did a telecast, I made liberal use of the mute button on my remote.

Good to hear, I wasn't a fan.

I wonder if this improves the odds of local boy Clay Matvick making bigger appearances. For the last few years, he has been buried in ESPNU games. I think he has some potential. I certainly like him much more than Pam.

Pam Ward was awful at her job. She was routinely confused by down, distance, score and situation. There's a reason AwfulAnnouncing.com named the weekly award for college football broadcasting ineptitude after her. Now, that might seem heavy handed of me to say, but the fact is that Ward was at the highest level of her field (ESPN) and was clearly not very good.

It's important to note that she was a pioneer in the college football booth as the first woman to do football play-by-play. How she passed over several other more capable candidates is surprising -- maybe producers are throwing too many women immediately into sideline reporter roles rather than letting them become play-by-play types, which is really a disservice to the women who are good broadcasters -- but well, she was first. She gets kudos for that. Hopefully ESPN and other outlets are willing to bring more capable broadcasters -- who happen to be women -- into the booth and give them a shot, rather than stuffing them on the sideline to deal with banal questions and updates.

But letting Ward go isn't about equal rights. After several years and dozens of laughable errors -- this WNBA clip is my favorite, she forgets the score during a game that is going into triple overtime and then forgets that the game has already gone into overtime, twice -- it was time for Ward to go.

Be careful what you wish for. We could wind up with Matt Millen doing our games. Pam wasn't my favorite, either, but there are other announcers that bothered me more. Frankly, I don't have a problem with women filling a traditionally male role. Whenever ESPN assigned her to one of our games, though, it was a message that the network looked at our game being worthy of their 3rd string crew. That's what ticked me off more.

It's important to note that she was a pioneer in the college football booth as the first woman to do football play-by-play.
Who cares?

How she passed over several other more capable candidates is surprising
Cultural Marxism leading to affirmative action

the women who are good broadcasters
Funny you should mention this, as one was recently sighted...

Smalfut.jpg

Hopefully ESPN and other outlets are willing to bring more capable broadcasters -- who happen to be women
Why not just acknowledge that since the best sports announcers are pretty much universally going to be men, that only men should be hired as announcers? Why do we have to artificially insert unqualified people into positions in which they would have never made it on their own merit?

into the booth and give them a shot, rather than stuffing them on the sideline to deal with banal questions and updates.
On the one hand, there are many more appropriate places where women can be stuffed, such as the kitchen and bedroom. On the other hand, since women and banality go together like PB & J, perhaps sideline reporting is one of the few sports-related fields at which they can actually eclipse men.

But letting Ward go isn't about equal rights. After several years and dozens of laughable errors -- this WNBA clip is my favorite, she forgets the score during a game that is going into triple overtime and then forgets that the game has already gone into overtime, twice -- it was time for Ward to go.
MISOGYNIST!!!!

I can't decide if SickAndTired just put out a marvelous spoof of how to sound ridiculous or if he meant it. Here's hoping for spoof.

Please don't replace her with Bill Walton...Please don't replace her with Bill Walton (crossing my fingers)

Top Bottom