CBSSports: there's "strong support" to increase bowl eligibility to 7 wins in 2014

BleedGopher

Reaction score
CBSSports: there's "strong support" to increase bowl eligibility to 7 wins in 2014

"@McMurphyCBS: College football sources told @CBSSports there's "strong support" to increase bowl eligibility to 7 wins in 2014"

Go Gophers!!

"@McMurphyCBS: College football sources told @CBSSports there's "strong support" to increase bowl eligibility to 7 wins in 2014"

Go Gophers!!

Good idea. Could be some interesting rhetoric in that discussion.

The bowls and conferences won't be happy about it (and that's likely how it will die), but I like it. Last year, these teams made bowl games with 6 wins:

Marshall
Arizona State
Illinois
UCLA
Purdue
Iowa State
Wake Forest
Mississippi St
Texas A&M
Northwestern
Vanderbilt
Ohio State
Florida
Pitt

So that's seven fewer bowl games, four fewer B1G teams, three fewer SEC teams. While I support the notion that making a bowl should be a reward for a better-than-mediocre season (i.e., better than .500 record) the money tied up in the system now, and the parties benefiting the most from the system, will make it tough to change.

Generally speaking, the coaches won't like it since it will be harder for them to make a bowl game. The AD's will be more supportive though since they are more concerned with the budget and don't enjoy losing money going to the Little Caesar's bowls of the world and get a good chunk of the BCS bowl money regardless.

Not sure how this happens unless they cut some of the bowls out. If this happens there's a good chance you won't have enough bowl eligible teams to fill them all some seasons.

Generally speaking, the coaches won't like it since it will be harder for them to make a bowl game, but the AD's will be more supportive since they are more concerned with the budget and don't enjoy losing money going to the Little Caesar's bowls of the world and get a good chunk of the BCS bowl money regardless.

I read in a Sports Illustrated article last winter that ADs actually pushed their conferences to get more bowl games regardless of profitability because they frequently have incentives in their contracts for their football programs going to bowl games, so they were interested in taking home a paycheck even if it was financially unsound for the institution. I also thought (and I'm not sure about this) that with the profit sharing in the B1G, that the loss from going to the Little Caeser's Pizza Bowl was distributed to some extent across the conference.

Either way, I would like to see the number change to seven, because I think it is ridiculous that a team can be called a post season team after scheduling 4 opponents from bad conferences (including one from FCS) and going 2-6 in conference.

Very skeptical this will actually happen due to politics and money, but I sure hope so.

I read in a Sports Illustrated article last winter that ADs actually pushed their conferences to get more bowl games regardless of profitability because they frequently have incentives in their contracts for their football programs going to bowl games, so they were interested in taking home a paycheck even if it was financially unsound for the institution. I also thought (and I'm not sure about this) that with the profit sharing in the B1G, that the loss from going to the Little Caeser's Pizza Bowl was distributed to some extent across the conference.Either way, I would like to see the number change to seven, because I think it is ridiculous that a team can be called a post season team after scheduling 4 opponents from bad conferences (including one from FCS) and going 2-6 in conference.

Pretty sure that statement is correct. I remember hearing that somewhere.

B1G bowl profits are distributed across the conference, yes.

So, if this site is correct: http://www.collegefootballpoll.com/bowl_games_bowl_schedule.html

the B1G received:

Little Ceasar's: $375,000
Kraft Fight Hunger: $418,750
Ticket City: $550,000
Meineke Car Care: $850,000
Gator Bowl: $1,350,000
Insight Bowl: $1,675,000
Outback Bowl: $1,750,000
Capital One Bowl: $2,300,000
Rose Bowl: $8,500,000
Sugar Bowl: $8,500,000

Total: $26,268,750, or $2,189,062.50 per team. If you remove the four teams with 6-6 records, it drops to $23,275,000, or $1,939,583.33 per team, a "loss" of around $250k per team. Of course this doesn't include costs of going to a bowl for each of the institutions which would need to be figured into the profit calculations, and doesn't include BCS payouts on top of bowl payouts (I think ... not quite sure ... but the B1G did get $27.2m in BCS payouts this year). Anyone have a good idea of the cost to travel to a bowl game?

I support this move 99%.

I'd support a playoff 100%.

I love Big Ten football but had a hard time caring about most of our bowls.

B1G bowl profits are distributed across the conference, yes.

So, if this site is correct: http://www.collegefootballpoll.com/bowl_games_bowl_schedule.html

the B1G received:

Little Ceasar's: $375,000
Kraft Fight Hunger: $418,750
Ticket City: $550,000
Meineke Car Care: $850,000
Gator Bowl: $1,350,000
Insight Bowl: $1,675,000
Outback Bowl: $1,750,000
Capital One Bowl: $2,300,000
Rose Bowl: $8,500,000
Sugar Bowl: $8,500,000

Total: $26,268,750, or $2,189,062.50 per team. If you remove the four teams with 6-6 records, it drops to $23,275,000, or $1,939,583.33 per team, a "loss" of around $250k per team. Of course this doesn't include costs of going to a bowl for each of the institutions which would need to be figured into the profit calculations, and doesn't include BCS payouts on top of bowl payouts (I think ... not quite sure ... but the B1G did get $27.2m in BCS payouts this year). Anyone have a good idea of the cost to travel to a bowl game?

The team actually playing in a bowl game gets 50% off the top before it's distributed to the other conference members, so it doesn't work out that each team gets an equal distribution.

The team actually playing in a bowl game gets 50% off the top before it's distributed to the other conference members, so it doesn't work out that each team gets an equal distribution.

Gotcha, thanks for the clarification. So it's really more like $969,791 per team without the four extra bowls, before factoring in costs, vs. $1,094,531 with the four extra bowls, being distributed post-payout.

Actually, since the bowls are all about them (the bowls and city) making money and usually end up costing the schools money to participate, I think it is a great idea.

It also gives a little stronger qualifying and deserving mark.

Now watch the various conferences add another game just to try and meet the 7 game win level...:(

With the 12 game schedule here to stay I think 7 wins should absolutely be the minimum for getting to a bowl game. I also feel you should have to .500 or better in your conference but that will never happen because that would eliminate way to many teams. Right now it is a joke that 6-6 is good enough to get you into a post season game especially when most of the bigger schools load up on easy teams to make up 3-4 wins every season.

So, they expanded the seasons to 12 games so more teams could qualify with 6 wins - if they change it to 7 wins, does that mean the season will get expanded to 14? Just wonderin.

The problem with most of the bowls is not just the money they provide as a reward to go there, but the money it cost the school and people who attend the game. It is meant to bring income into an area. If it is meant to bring income, who is going to pay out more?

About the only thing most schools get is a feather in the cap that states they made it to a bowl game and hopefully that might influence a recruits decision to go there...at least for a visit.

I see, and the payouts I was using were divided in half (I had, incorrectly, assumed the "payout" listed for total for both teams, when in fact it is the amount each team receives). So if this: http://blog.pennlive.com/patriotnewssports/2011/12/big_ten_teams_share_rose_bowl.html is right, it's more like:

Bowl (Big Ten team):--- Bowl pays conference --- Big 10 reimbursement to schools for travel expenses
Rose Bowl (Wisconsin) --- $22.3 million --- $2.3 million
Sugar Bowl (Michigan) --- $6.1 million --- $2.050M
Capital One Bowl (Nebraska) --- $4.55 million --- $1.775 million
Outback Bowl (Michigan State) --- $3.5 million --- $1.775 million
Insight Bowl (Iowa) --- $3.25 million --- $1.825 million
Ticketcity Bowl (Penn State) --- $1.2 million --- $1.2 million

Total Bowl Payout: $40,900,000 ($40.9M)
Total Travel Expenses borne by Big 10: $10,925,000 ($10.925M)
Big 10 profit after expenses: $29,975,000 ($29.975M)

Or a decline of about $1,675,000 in total, or $140k per team if distributed evenly.

Interesting. Thanks for the link. I know that I have read the 50% thing many times before, but apparently those reports were either erroneous or the model has since changed.

This article:

http://espn.go.com/college-football...io-state-buckeyes-eligible-big-ten-bowl-purse

may shed a little more light on the subject. According to the Big Ten spokesman quoted in the article, each school generally receives "just under $400,000" in bowl money. That seems extraordinarily low, as it would only total a pot of ~$4.5-5 MM, considerably lower than what the Big Ten brings in. I understand some of the gross revenue goes to cover bowl expenses, but where does the rest of it go?

They didn't expand the season to get more teams into bowl games, that was a side effect. The reason the season was expanded to 12 games was to get one more regular season game in.

I'm ok with seven wins to get to a bowl, it affects all teams equally. I do wonder if this will make teams even more likely to schedule creampuffs.

Another reason why we need to see a playoff system.

Oh no!
This will make it even harder for Western Kentucky to go to a bowl game and lose a bunch of money in the process!

Interesting. Thanks for the link. I know that I have read the 50% thing many times before, but apparently those reports were either erroneous or the model has since changed.

This article:

http://espn.go.com/college-football...io-state-buckeyes-eligible-big-ten-bowl-purse

may shed a little more light on the subject. According to the Big Ten spokesman quoted in the article, each school generally receives "just under $400,000" in bowl money. That seems extraordinarily low, as it would only total a pot of ~$4.5-5 MM, considerably lower than what the Big Ten brings in. I understand some of the gross revenue goes to cover bowl expenses, but where does the rest of it go?

Gets divided up evenly into the AD retirement fund. :)

I'm thinking that money funds B1G tourneys for the non-revenue sports, advertising, political kickbacks, B1G employee salaries, etc.

Top Bottom