CBS' Tom Fornelli: "my dark horse is Minnesota"

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per his CBS preview:

6. Minnesota: Earlier I mentioned that a lot of people consider Indiana to be a Big Ten dark horse in 2013. Well, my dark horse is Minnesota, so obviously I picked them to finish last in the division, but that's more a reflection of my belief in myself than it is the Gophers. Throughout his coaching career Jerry Kill's teams have taken a big step forward in his third season, and with 10 starters returning on offense, that could certainly be the case with this Gophers team. I'm a big fan of quarterback Philip Nelson, who got a lot of experience as a freshman last season, and I think Donnell Kirkwood is a bit underrated as a running back. This is a team that should score between 24 and 27 points per game, and the defense, while not spectacular, wasn't horrible last season. What keeps me from picking the Gophers higher, though, is the schedule. Three of their five division games are on the road, against Michigan, Northwestern and Michigan State. The Gophers also draw Penn State and Wisconsin -- along with Indiana -- from the Leaders Division. So while I definitely think this team will be better in 2013 than it was in 2012, the win-loss record might not show it.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoo...-football/23053790/big-ten-teambyteam-preview

Go Gophers!!

My dark horse is Minnesota. I have them finishing last.

He could have said:

"Minnesota is the team most likely to make me look stupid."

So basically he can't lose. If we win he can say we were his sleeper pick and if things go the way the National people are projecting he can say he had us pegged right at the back of the division. Not that anyone goes back to see who was right and who was wrong anyway.

Honestly, think I feel the same way Fornelli does. Last year the lack of any Offense at all cost them 2-3 wins at least. Their Defense was okay, usually only falling apart after a string of "3 and outs" by that horrible Offense. It wasn't just the injuries and inexperience by the O-Line that made it that way. Every QB they put back there missed a heck of a lot of open receivers. Heck, if Nelson or Gray had been able to hit an open receiver in back to back drives that ended with Gray's interception they beat Texas Tech rather than make "a good showing" against them.

The "D" despite losing some key players could be as good or better than last year. The kicking game? Ah, that's still and unknown. That O-line should give the Backs space to run through and the QB plenty of time to throw.

IF they complete those passes, the Gophers could put 8-9 wins up on the board. If they can't, 3-5 looks more likely.

Totally see what Fornelli is doing and dammit, agree with him.

He's really going out on a limb here.

i dont think you should make predictions based on the teams schedule, if a certain team has a soft schedule you shouldn't put them higher then if they had a harder schedule, you should put them were you think they fit and then they have to earn it and work there way up if they have an easier schedule, don't just give it to them already

In some ways I agree with Fornelli's take, we will be a much better team, the games will be much closer. The big question is, will we make the big play, that makes the difference? That is all mental and alludes to Coach Kill saying, that we need a signature win, such a win could get the team on a roll resulting in 2 to 3 additional victories.

I also think Donnell Kirkwood is a bit underrated.

Top Bottom