CBS: Southern Illinois coach rips Arkansas fans for not showing up

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per CBS:

Southern Illinois got waxed at Arkansas on Monday night, falling 90-65 and going 0-2 in the process.

The home crowd for the Razorbacks, however, wasn't that enthused. Sure, it is football season, but Arkansas should -- and has -- cared just as much about its hoops as it has its pigskin. Perhaps SIU didn't rally the local fan base, but nonetheless, here was the scene at Bud Walton Arena a few minutes before the game began.

After the game, SIU coach Barry Hinson -- who seems to have one press conference rant per year that flames up College Basketball Twitter -- was asked about the lack of support for this particular game.

In his answer, we got this first noteworthy press conference moment from this season in college hoops.

"Yeah, you want me to be honest? That's not an Arkansas crowd," Hinson said. "You want me to get on your crowd? Because here's what I'll tell ya, I've been in here. ... You guys know when I was in here, and I told our guys, 'When they bring that damn Arkansas flag out with three minutes to go in the game, and you're yelling your ass off and they can't hear you, that's what it's all about.' But that's not the Razorback crowd that I know. Where's the Arkansas cameras? You guys gotta get your butts back in this gym. That team deserves it, this university deserves it. Buy your tickets and get your butts back in here. Because this place is hard to win when they're calling the Hogs. And when they bring out that damn flag, it's unbelievable. But tonight it wasn't like that."

Hinson has no direct ties to Arkansas, but he has been on coaching staffs at Kansas, Missouri State and Oral Roberts, so he has been in the building a few times before, back when Arkansas was a program with more momentum and encouragement.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

http://www.cbssports.com/college-ba...-coach-rips-arkansas-fans-for-not-showing-up/

Go Gophers!!

per CBS:

Southern Illinois got waxed at Arkansas on Monday night, falling 90-65 and going 0-2 in the process.

The home crowd for the Razorbacks, however, wasn't that enthused. Sure, it is football season, but Arkansas should -- and has -- cared just as much about its hoops as it has its pigskin. Perhaps SIU didn't rally the local fan base, but nonetheless, here was the scene at Bud Walton Arena a few minutes before the game began.

After the game, SIU coach Barry Hinson -- who seems to have one press conference rant per year that flames up College Basketball Twitter -- was asked about the lack of support for this particular game.

In his answer, we got this first noteworthy press conference moment from this season in college hoops.

"Yeah, you want me to be honest? That's not an Arkansas crowd," Hinson said. "You want me to get on your crowd? Because here's what I'll tell ya, I've been in here. ... You guys know when I was in here, and I told our guys, 'When they bring that damn Arkansas flag out with three minutes to go in the game, and you're yelling your ass off and they can't hear you, that's what it's all about.' But that's not the Razorback crowd that I know. Where's the Arkansas cameras? You guys gotta get your butts back in this gym. That team deserves it, this university deserves it. Buy your tickets and get your butts back in here. Because this place is hard to win when they're calling the Hogs. And when they bring out that damn flag, it's unbelievable. But tonight it wasn't like that."

Hinson has no direct ties to Arkansas, but he has been on coaching staffs at Kansas, Missouri State and Oral Roberts, so he has been in the building a few times before, back when Arkansas was a program with more momentum and encouragement.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

http://www.cbssports.com/college-ba...-coach-rips-arkansas-fans-for-not-showing-up/

Go Gophers!!
Give some tickets away to kids at least.

If the same photo was taken at The Barn eight minutes before the UTA or Mount games I'm not sure that it would have looked much better. There weren't more than 5K in the building either night. Generally, the last 5-10 minutes before the tip is when it fills in.

I was going to comment saying they needed to lower their ticket prices... then I looked it up and saw that you can buy season tickets (Not great tickets) for under $10/gm...

Somehow there needs to be better advertising or something. (On some level I wonder if students sports attendance and tuition increases have an inverse correlation)

Bud Walton is probably a little too big for our fanbase these days, but we averaged more for baseball last year than were at the basketball game lol.

Monday night, bad opponent, still football season...but still. I imagine it will fill up by conference play since we were top 15 in attendance last year. May never reach UK level enthusiasm like it was in the 90's again though.

Top Bottom