CBS: Rice secures recruit's commitment with letter to his cat

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per CBS:

Recruiting in the state of Texas can be an uphill battle for Rice, but the Owls staff has shown a willingness to pull out all the stops, or paws, to land an in-state quarterback.

According to the Houston Chronicle, Rice secured a commitment from J.T. Granato, a three-star prospect from The Kinkaid School in Houston, with a letter to the quarterback's cat.

via Houston Chronicle:

The letter, from co-offensive coordinator Billy Lynch, said:

"As you know we're trying to convince J.T. Rice is the place for him. I know you'd like to keep him close so he can feed you and change the litter box. Please help us to get him to choose us. Paw me if you have any questions."

Granato also had an offer from Houston and was reportedly receiving interest from Maryland, Indiana, Kansas and Southern Miss.

The extra effort paid off for Rice's staff, as J.T.'s father announced the commitment to Rice on Twitter on Thursday night.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoo...es-recruits-commitment-with-letter-to-his-cat

Go Gophers!!

Yeah, I'm not sure if I find this creative or creepy.

Many schools have used pussy.... cats to aid in recruiting.

Oh Oh!!! Pussy Galore was one magnificent James Bond gal.

If I ever decide to get a cat, her name will be Galore.

Yeah, I'm not sure if I find this creative or creepy.

It goes to show how far coaches are willing to bend over backwards and pander to players to get them to their school. I think it is kind of embarrassing.

It goes to show how far coaches are willing to bend over backwards and pander to players to get them to their school. I think it is kind of embarrassing.

Eh, go with the flow. After all, it is between seasons and all things are fun.

The players have a lot of choices, and their services are in demand. Coaches have choices too. If writing a letter to a players cat will help land that recruit, the coach can choose to write that letter, or choose to pass on that player. A coach should probably take advantage of every angle they can use, but it is their choice. If appealing to a players desire to be near household pets works, there's nothing wrong with making that appeal, but it is the coach's choice.

A coach should probably take advantage of every angle they can use

I've never witnessed this, so maybe it's not as awesome as it sounds, but perhaps Rice should use Baker 13 instead of cat letters in their recruiting:

Baker 13

...on the 13th of every month... at around 10 PM after liberal application of shaving cream... anywhere from 2 to 200+ (!) naked, creamy males and females... run out of the Third Entrance door... And the first of many attacks starts. Trashcans full of water, firehoses, super-soakers, and water balloons. And of course, when someone attacks you, you are allowed to reward them with a naked, shaving cream hug.

Top Bottom