CBS Preseason Top 25: No. 16 Minnesota

dpodoll68

Elite Poster
Reaction score
Link

"Morgan is out to prove that he is one of the best quarterbacks in the nation and a future NFL star, and has plenty of firepower to do it. His success, coupled with Fleck's proven ability to build winners, should keep the Gophers in the national picture for three full months. They don't draw Ohio State or Penn State out of the East, and their toughest out-of-conference game is in Week 4 at home vs. BYU. The combination of a manageable schedule, star players returning and a coaching staff that is hitting its stride should make the Golden Gophers the favorite in the Big Ten West going into the season. Could this be the year they finally make the Big Ten Championship Game? It should be the expectation. "

It's not 10 but I'll take it.

If you told me this time last year we'd go into 2020 ranked 16 I'd be kinda amazed.

It's not 10 but I'll take it.

If you told me this time last year we'd go into 2020 ranked 16 I'd be kinda amazed.

Exactly. I want better, but that is my homerism. Last year they started about 40th or so? Then were being mentioned in the playoff conversation. Start at 16 then it's easier to move forward.

I think it is a fair evaluation with our questions on defense. I agree with the Big 10 Championship game being the expectation.

I still think we will better on defense than what people think. Last year, when we had defensive injuries, the players that stepped in, did a very good job. There did not seem to be a big drop off, when our backup players played.

We had a tough start last year. Some were blaming it on a bland offense not letting future opponents get a handle of what were doing. Hope that we have a better start to not only maintain our rankings in the polls that helps recruiting but also to save on our hearts.

I still think we will better on defense than what people think. Last year, when we had defensive injuries, the players that stepped in, did a very good job. There did not seem to be a big drop off, when our backup players played.

I agree. I have a feeling we're going to be surprised how good the defense is in 2020.

Watch for big seasons from Boye Mafe, Braelen Oliver, Jordan Howden, Benjamin St-Juste, Mariano Sori-Marin, Terell Smith and Coney Durr.

I agree. I have a feeling we're going to be surprised how good the defense is in 2020.

Watch for big seasons from Boye Mafe, Braelen Oliver, Jordan Howden, Benjamin St-Juste, Mariano Sori-Marin, Terell Smith and Coney Durr.
I think Braelen Oliver has a significant injury. But I think James Gordon will be a force at linebacker.

How much bigger of a season are Howden, Durr, St. Juste capable of? They were good last year - but I'm not sure there's legitimate upper-echelon levels to get to for those guys. Which is fine, as those guys are solid.

I tend to think the defense will be alright, but as always, the challenge will be keeping the run defense strong. The guys leaving were really good in getting that to a passable level.

The offensive style of play will give a developing (and likely growing pain experiencing) defense some insulation. That should buy them some time to build on the fly. Then it'll be about a couple of those guys graduating to all-conference caliber.

We had a tough start last year. Some were blaming it on a bland offense not letting future opponents get a handle of what were doing. Hope that we have a better start to not only maintain our rankings in the polls that helps recruiting but also to save on our hearts.

IMHO, the tough start was the offense getting their footing, most specifically the OL. Fortunately, that shouldn’t be a problem this year.

IMHO, the tough start was the offense getting their footing, most specifically the OL. Fortunately, that shouldn’t be a problem this year.

First quarter of the first game ... that OL was getting WORKED by South Dakota State ...

I was looking through my binoculars pretty horrified for the first 15 minutes.

It may have been tough, but we won the games, and that's the important thing. Typically won't fall too far for a narrow win against a lesser opponent.

It may have been tough, but we won the games, and that's the important thing. Typically won't fall too far for a narrow win against a lesser opponent.
We have Florida Atlantic, Iowa, and BYU in 3 of our first four games. No slouches there. We better be prepared to start the season. If we play like we did against SDSU or Fresno we could lose a couple of those games.

Reasonable ranking for the preseason.

We have an expectation of what the offense should be. Plenty of questions on the defensive side. Without a normal spring practice season the D might struggle early when the games start.

Bulletin board material in which way? I was thinking it is pretty good. Do you mean you think they should have been ranked higher?
No, I was making fun of the phrase Bulletin board material. Not being serious.

I have zero expectations this year with what is going on in the world. I won't be upset if they lose them all as long as they play hard.

Based upon Fleck's emphasis on culture and the type of people he recruits I actually think with Covid we will have a competitive advantage. Look at the ways they have used tech in recruiting. I have no doubts they are hitting it out of the park in player development as well.

No, I was making fun of the phrase Bulletin board material. Not being serious.
Makes more sense. I usually get jokes but I think the programs recent success is changing my brain chemistry in some way.

Top Bottom