CBS: Power Five coaches ranked 65-26 (#25. PJ Fleck, Minnesota)

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per CBS:
25team logo

Minnesota
P.J. Fleck: His stock took a pretty significant hit after Minnesota followed up an 11-2 season with a 3-4 record last year. Still, as we'll see a lot in the rankings, it's hard to know how much to hold a down 2020 season against any coach. Minnesota was dealing with a lot of missing players early in the year, so it's hard to gauge whether Fleck has rowed the boat onto some rocks or if they just hit some turbulent seas for a bit. 2020 rank: 15 (-10)

Go Gophers!!

Just as long as we think he's #1, the players think he's #1, and everyone else thinks he's #65, we're good

This. If we overachieve this year, and that's saying something because we're already pretty good imo, I think Fleck starts to achieve something we haven't seen in our lifetime (most of us anyways i think), Fleck just being able to reload talent.

I think we might be there at the WR position first, then potentially we move unto RB and then the O-D LIne after next year.

Believe it or not, Rice is 3-0 against the Crimson Tide.
Interesting find. Checked out Rice's history in football. They were pretty good during the later part of the 40's and through the 50's (the three games against Alabama were 54-56). But holy crap did that program fall off the face of the Earth after the 1961 season. I mean we have struggled to find relevance since that time as well but we have at least been ranked at times. They haven't been seen in the top 25 since 1961.

The Gophers had a tough 2020 (Covid) season and Im not sure that in the end that wasn't a blessing in disguise for Minnesota. PJ Fleck's ranking of 25 among coaches on this list might be vastly different had the Gophs had a better year last year. Because of the down year, PJ wasn't in the rumor mill for every job that came open. Had PJ won more games last year, I think the rumors of him leaving may have come to fruition following the 11-2 year of 2019.

I fully expect the Gophers to lose no more than 2-3 regular season games in 2021. I think this 2021 team could be special, my hopes are high in May.

Top Bottom