CBS: Ohio St will go unbeaten, but may not be enough for BCS title game

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Tony Barnhart of CBS:

Ohio State is going to win the Big Ten championship and go 13-0. The only question is: Will it be enough?

Now don't go crazy on me, Ohio State fans. Just think this through. Do the 13-0 Buckeyes get into the BCS championship game over a 13-0 Oregon or Stanford? Or a 13-0 Clemson/Florida State/Miami? Or a 13-0 Alabama?

If Ohio State goes 13-0, based on the latest AP poll, it would have beaten two ranked teams, No. 18 Michigan and No. 19 Northwestern. Its nonconference victories will be against Florida A&M, an FCS team, Buffalo (3-2), California (1-4), and San Diego State (2-3).

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoo...ned-unbeaten-might-not-be-enough-for-buckeyes

Go Gophers!!

They shouldn't get in over any of those teams. This team could be 26-0 and not have played for a national title.

I don't know these teams too well, but what ranked teams has/would have Miami beaten?

Florida State or Clemson will lose at least 1 game to eachother...

Oregon will have its usual choke job & Stanford & Oregon play eachother so I don't know why they're pretending Ohio State doesn't have a shot when none of those teams will remain undefeated...

I have a feeling Wisconsin will be ranked by the end of the season if they play how they have been recently (and the ASU loss isn't looking so bad as the season is going on). But yes, when the best team of the meat of your schedule (Iowa, Penn St, Purdue, Illinois, Indiana) is either Iowa or Indiana, you've got it pretty easy. Not playing MSU or Nebraska really helped OSU in going undefeated but will hurt them on SOS... They'll need the Legends champ to be highly ranked and win convincingly to have a chance in the voters' eyes, a 1-loss Clemson/FSU/Stanford/Oregon/SEC at-large might carry more weight, unfortunately.

Oregon will have its usual choke job & Stanford & Oregon play eachother so I don't know why they're pretending Ohio State doesn't have a shot when none of those teams will remain undefeated...

He's saying IF (and its a big if) all of those teams to undefeated, OSU won't play in the NC game.

They'd be on a a 25 game winning streak at that point. Much will depend on what Michigan's record is when they play them.

Too bad the playoff doesn't start this year. I think there will be at least three teams undefeated at the end of the regular season.

It would be hilarious, in my opinion, if Alabama loses to LSU or in the conference championship and the SEC gets shut out of the NC. It is very possible.

Way too early for anybody to be worrying about this sort of thing.

Plenty of chances for many of these contenders to wet the bed in the near future.

Too bad the playoff doesn't start this year. I think there will be at least three teams undefeated at the end of the regular season.

It would be hilarious, in my opinion, if Alabama loses to LSU or in the conference championship and the SEC gets shut out of the NC. It is very possible.

unless then lsu leapfrogs up into the nc. which would be bs.

unless then lsu leapfrogs up into the nc. which would be bs.

The only team I could see them passing is Ohio St. because of the weakness of the Big Ten this year. Even with the SEC bias, there is no way they would overtake Oregon, Stanford, Clemson, or Florida St. if any of those teams are undefeated.

Kind of hard to lose more than one game to each other when they only play each other once. Big Ten team does not deserve to be in national championship this year.

Kind of hard to lose more than one game to each other when they only play each other once. Big Ten team does not deserve to be in national championship this year.

Conference championship? Don't know how their conference works or is structured, so that might not be possible either, just a thought.

I think Ohio State will slip up somewhere (either @ Michigan or in the Big Ten title game), but they'll have more than a decent shot if they go 13-0. There are really only a few scenarios. I don't think there's any way an undefeated Big XII champ (Oklahoma/Baylor) would be taken over a 13-0 and 25-straight win tOSU squad.

It'll be one of these scenarios:

SEC champ (as long as they only have 0 or 1 losses) vs.

1. Undefeated Clemson/Florida State
2. Undefeated Oregon/Stanford/perhaps UCLA
3. Undefeated Ohio State
4. 1-loss SEC squad (Alabama/LSU/South Carolina/Texas A&M)

I like the odds of #3 occuring more than that of #1 or #2. I think #4 is the most problematic scenario for the Buckeyes, especially if Georgia runs the table and beats Alabama in the SEC title game.

OSU will have a decent schedule IF both northwestern and Michigan win out with northwestern beating Michigan, that means Michigan will be 10-1 by the time they play OSU and ranked around #10 in the nation, and then in the big ten title game northwestern would be 11-1(with the only loss coming from osu) and ranked around 5-10, those would be 2 potential top ten teams that would buff up OSU's schedule and if Wisconsin wins out as well only losing to northwestern they would be 9-3 and probably in the top 25 so that would be 3 top 25 teams OSU has beaten and 4 top 25 wins that OSU would have(since Ohio would play northwestern twice) that would not be a bad schedule

That being said every year everybody says that there will be 3-5 undefeated teams but there only ends up being 1-2, nobody expected Okie state losing to Iowa state, or or for Florida st to lose to NC State, it will all work itself out

Georgia will lose somewhere down the line... struggling against a mediocre Tennessee team (despite injuries) shows they're not worth their Top 10 Ranking... SEC Biased...

I don't know these teams too well, but what ranked teams has/would have Miami beaten?

The have beaten Florida and Georgia Tech. They will play Florida State, Virginia Tech. If they win that division they will likely face Clemson in Conference Championship. Clemson has beaten Georgia.

Until Ohio State or any Big 10 team wants to be in the final four, or the BS Championship they need to eliminate cupcakes. And play teams that are ranked. OSU needs to Schedule an Oklahoma or go on the road to Georgia. The Big 10 Football Conference is sinking into 4th place. 1. SEC, 2. PAC 12, 3. ACC, 4. Big 10, 5 Big 12.

Unless they step up their non conference schedule they will be lucky to be in final 4.

This is what I'm rooting for. I honestly don't care if Ohio State plays for the national title - I just want the SEC out of the picture. Although, I hate Oregon even more than I hate the SEC, so it really needs to be Stanford running the table out west (UCLA's schedule is brutal starting with next week's trip to Stanford), or Clemson/Florida State running the table in the ACC.

I still think the Buckeyes will trip up somewhere. 15 years ago, it was a totally mediocre Michigan State team that went into Columbus in November and beat top-ranked tOSU.

Where does an undefeated Louisville team fit in here? Theyre in the American conference which is an AQ conference but their schedule is horrendous. In my opinion, If there are multiple undefeated teams from power conferences (ACC, BIG12, B10, PAC12) at the end of the year, a one loss SEC team wont make the NC game. A one loss SEC team probably jumps a undefeated Louisville team.

Everyone should be rooting for tO$U because the Big Ten desperately needs a National Championship appearance and ideally a title.

I just saw this:

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>According to LV, on a neutral field Baylor would be a TD favorite over Ohio State, let that one sink in.</p>— MillerandBrinson (@MillerBrinson) <a href="https://twitter.com/MillerBrinson/statuses/387989806640140288">October 9, 2013</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

"Let that one sink in"? What does that even mean? Is the Big Ten supposed to be embarrassed or something? Baylor is a damn good team, and it would be no stretch to see them in the national title game or even (gasp) winning it all.

"Let that one sink in"? What does that even mean? Is the Big Ten supposed to be embarrassed or something? Baylor is a damn good team, and it would be no stretch to see them in the national title game or even (gasp) winning it all.

I think it means:

"Hello faithful listeners of the Miller & Brinson Show! I noticed while perusing the latest Vegas odds from the Des Moines Register, that our Big 12 counterpart Baylor would be a touchdown favorite on a neutral field against 34-time Big Ten champion and currently #3/#4 Ohio State Buckeyes. That got me thinking about last year when Iowa State built a 35-14 lead against the Bears en route to a 35-21 victory. Boy, the two programs sure have traveled down different paths this season. Let that one sink in."

They really should get rid of that 140-character limit.

Oregon usual choke job

Oregon's last five usual choke jobs....

Pryor led tOSU
Cam Newton led Auburn
LSU
USC
Stanford

Combined 59-6 record for those teams. Two played in the title game in LSU and Auburn who Oregon played (and lost true). Two were on last second missed field goals (USC and Stanford). Tosu loss was a good beating. If those are considered usual choke jobs, I'm sure you all would love to be able to have a five year run like Oregon has (6 losses in 5 years is pretty good btw)

This is what I'm rooting for. I honestly don't care if Ohio State plays for the national title - I just want the SEC out of the picture. Although, I hate Oregon even more than I hate the SEC, so it really needs to be Stanford running the table out west (UCLA's schedule is brutal starting with next week's trip to Stanford), or Clemson/Florida State running the table in the ACC.

I still think the Buckeyes will trip up somewhere. 15 years ago, it was a totally mediocre Michigan State team that went into Columbus in November and beat top-ranked tOSU.

psu or mich only ones i can see.

i still would take OSU over Oregon and Clemson, maybe not right now but at the end of the season i think they will be a lot better and ready, OSU has a much more talented roster then Clemson or Oregon, offensively they are about equal but defensively OSU has twice as much talent as Clemson and Oregon combined, they have to fix some things in pass coverage and they will but there rush defense has been stout, also Braxton will progress and fix the problems that he needs to fix by the end of the season, the key to beating Oregon is to have a D-line that can penetrate and disrupt their scheme in the backfield and also having athletic DEs that can contain, that is how LSU, Auburn, Stanford and OSU have beaten them in the past and OSU has that with Bennett, Spence and Washington

Top Bottom