CBS: Iowa's Ferentz: 7-5 bowl eligibility cutoff worth 'a discussion'

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per CBS:

Iowa Kirk Ferentz values the bowl system but wonders if 7-5 teams should be the cutoff for eligibility, the Hawkeyes coach said Tuesday.

The bowl system will expand to 40 games (or 78 teams awith the playoff championship game featuring semifinalists) by 2015. That means more than 60 percent of the 128-team FBS field will be eligible.

"You could argue that, certainly...That's a discussion," said Ferentz of a 7-5 cutoff line. "We didn't go in 2007. We were 6-6, bowl eligible. I had no argument. To me we were bowl-eligible and not bowl worthy. No sour grapes on my part. You get what you deserve."

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoo...-5-bowl-eligibility-cutoff-worth-a-discussion

Go Gophers!!

Amen to that Kirk, but there wouldn't be enough 7-5 teams to fill the 78 bowl slots.

Amen to that Kirk, but there wouldn't be enough 7-5 teams to fill the 78 bowl slots.

I think that's definitely the problem. If 60% of FBS teams are bowl eligible, then I am really not going to count "just going to a bowl game" as a successful season.

Too many bowls. Just cut a few and it will be perfect.

It amazes me that year after year there is someone lining up to start a new bowl game or take over the sponsorship of an existing one. They must be making money which keeps the sponsors around and ensures the system won't change anytime soon.

Personally I would love to see a 7-5 cutoff but as others mentioned it will never happen because there would not be enough teams to fill all the worthless bowl matchups. Going to a bowl game at 6-6 is a joke and frankly if I had it my way you would only be bowl eligible if you finished .500 or better within your own conference. If you can't go .500 in your own league you don't deserve a post season reward. But the system is what it is and until sponsors stop supporting the games it will continue to be a reward teams for just not finishing with a losing record in many cases.

It amazes me that year after year there is someone lining up to start a new bowl game or take over the sponsorship of an existing one. They must be making money which keeps the sponsors around and ensures the system won't change anytime soon.

Personally I would love to see a 7-5 cutoff but as others mentioned it will never happen because there would not be enough teams to fill all the worthless bowl matchups. Going to a bowl game at 6-6 is a joke and frankly if I had it my way you would only be bowl eligible if you finished .500 or better within your own conference. If you can't go .500 in your own league you don't deserve a post season reward. But the system is what it is and until sponsors stop supporting the games it will continue to be a reward teams for just not finishing with a losing record in many cases.

+1 If you can't go .500 in your division you have no business in a bowl game. Though the local squad would have missed a few Texas based bowl games. You could probably knock off 10-15 bowl games.

I don't know, I thoroughly enjoyed the 2012 Meineke Bowl, except for those last few minutes. Teams can always turn down these toilet bowls. Failing to find participants is the only way they will shut themselves down.

How about a playoff....12, 24, 36 teams. I don't really care. Early rounds at home stadiums. Semi finals, finals at neutral sites. SEC teams playing in the cold. No more beauty contests.

Last season 51 teams had 7-5 or better records at the end of the regular season. It's 52 if you include Penn State. So we'd need to lose 13 bowls to make the numbers work. One way to do it would be to tweak the economics more in favor of the schools, which would probably lead some lower-level bowls to fold up shop. Problem is, the schools like it. They get extra practice, fans get a fun trip somewhere warm (usually), and the players get a reward for their hard work.

Bowls aren't NCAA events and if a tourist town wants to try to attract some easy football fan $$$ to their region, more power to them. Yes, many bowls and many teams that participate are jokes. Maybe I'm a sucker, but by the time bowl season rolls around I'm so sad to see the season end that I DVR all the games regardless of who's playing. I can't honestly say I finish every one of them, but I do try. If the crap bowls bother you, turn off the TV until Jan 1.

per CBS:

Iowa Kirk Ferentz values the bowl system but wonders if 7-5 teams should be the cutoff for eligibility, the Hawkeyes coach said Tuesday.

The bowl system will expand to 40 games (or 78 teams awith the playoff championship game featuring semifinalists) by 2015. That means more than 60 percent of the 128-team FBS field will be eligible.

"You could argue that, certainly...That's a discussion," said Ferentz of a 7-5 cutoff line. "We didn't go in 2007. We were 6-6, bowl eligible. I had no argument. To me we were bowl-eligible and not bowl worthy. No sour grapes on my part. You get what you deserve."

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoo...-5-bowl-eligibility-cutoff-worth-a-discussion

Go Gophers!!

I never realized that Iowa didn't get invited to a bowl that year. How often does a bowl eligible major conference team not get invited to a bowl? Moreover, how often does a bowl pick Indiana over Iowa? I notice that 10 of 11 Big Ten teams were bowl eligible that year (everyone except us), so I suppose maybe it just happens when you have a bunch of 6- and 7-win major conference teams, leading to having a whole bunch of mediocre bowl eligible teams and not enough bowl spots to take them.

Requiring teams to be .500 or better in conference to be bowl eligible would pretty much reward teams who play in bad conferences, while punishing teams who play in good conferences. For instance, just this past bowl season, going by this criterion, Arizona, Ole Miss, Maryland, Oregon State, Pitt, Michigan, and Washington State would not have been bowl eligible, and could have been replaced by other bowl eligible teams like Toledo, Central Michigan, Troy, South Alabama, Louisiana-Monroe, San Jose State, and Florida Atlantic, all of whom went .500 or better both in their conference and overall, none of whom went to bowl games. And maybe you'd be fine with that, like if you wanted to see more of the smaller schools get a chance to play on a bigger stage.

Then there's also the fact that some conferences play 9 conference games while others play 8, while still others only play 7, so 4-5 in conference won't get you into a bowl game in a 9 game league, but 4-4 will in an 8 game league, leading to potential situations where a 6-win team (2013 North Carolina, 6-6, 4-4 ACC) is bowl eligible while a 7-win team (2013 Arizona, 7-5, 4-5 Pac-12) is not.

Even a 7-5 cutoff might just mean that instead of removing meaningless bowl games, we're just watching Texas-San Antonio, Western Kentucky, and Toledo instead of Pitt, Syracuse, and Washington State.

Top Bottom