CBS: In era of technological, financial change, has college football peaked?

MN can't afford to misread the popularity of football...again. mobile gambling innovations are going to make todays $ in the BT look like chump change.

WTF?

"What we're left with is "studio football" -- a term coined (by me)..."

Yeah...never heard that one before. Could barely get past the first few paragraphs they were so clumsy.

For years the NCAA has been threatening to kick teams out the FBS for low attendance. EMU's attendance would rank abut #94 in the FCS, and slightly above average for D-II. I doubt that the NCAA is serious about moving them to the FCS, but they have a long way to go to reach the 15,000 mark.

What the hell?

EMU's stadium is located 6 miles from Michigan Stadium. If anybody in Ypsilanti want's a college football game day, I can guess where they're headed.

Add in the fact that EMU has been incredibly terrible and that's just a bad mix.

EMU's stadium is located 6 miles from Michigan Stadium. If anybody in Ypsilanti want's a college football game day, I can guess where they're headed.

Add in the fact that EMU has been incredibly terrible and that's just a bad mix.

Ypsilanti is a run down part of the area.

I think declining attendance at college football games is due to television. The game has sold out for television money and this has two negative effects.

First, the experience watching at home is much more comfortable and enjoyable. Many people, old and young, prefer that experience especially when the weather gets dicey.

Second, the television timeouts and other clock stoppages create an unbearable stadium experience. The experience is even worse when the team is below average and the weather is bad.

Maybe I'm getting old, but the MSU game this year got me thinking about splitting my season ticket up with someone, or buying single game seats for a few games a year. I can stand being in the cold, and even watching a mediocre team, but I feel like such a sucker sitting through those 4 minute TV timeouts.

I think declining attendance at college football games is due to television. The game has sold out for television money and this has two negative effects.

First, the experience watching at home is much more comfortable and enjoyable. Many people, old and young, prefer that experience especially when the weather gets dicey.

Second, the television timeouts and other clock stoppages create an unbearable stadium experience. The experience is even worse when the team is below average and the weather is bad.

Maybe I'm getting old, but the MSU game this year got me thinking about splitting my season ticket up with someone, or buying single game seats for a few games a year. I can stand being in the cold, and even watching a mediocre team, but I feel like such a sucker sitting through those 4 minute TV timeouts.

Probably one of the biggest unforseen consequences of HDTV is the decline of attendance in all sports. The product is just too good at home for the non-die hard fan to want to go to the stadium. Throw in all the other factors (Facebook, Twitter, beer/cheap beer, parking, etc.) and it just keeps getting easier to stay home and watch on TV...

TV time outs have ruined sports and more importantly game day experience. I am with you here which is why I enjoy soccer more and more.

Still, that's just crazy low. There's 23,000 students that go there.

Still, that's just crazy low. There's 23,000 students that go there.
Students don't care about an athletic program if it has a culture of losing. It's seen as lame to care about a team that never wins. People on here complain about the Minnesota students, but that's everywhere.

Top Bottom