CBS: Holiday Bowl in legitimate jeopardy due to Minnesota players' boycott

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Dodd:

There are significant logistical issues as to whether the Holiday Bowl could even be played if Minnesota follows through with its planned boycott, sources told CBS Sports.

Northern Illinois, which is next in line in the bowl pecking order to play Washington State on Dec. 27 in San Diego if the Gophers' boycott continues through the bowl game -- hasn't played in three weeks. One official associated with the process pointed out that school at NIU has been out since early December and holiday plans have been made by players.

Minnesota players announced Thursday they would boycott all team activities until 10 suspended players are reinstated.
Any team replacing Minnesota would probably have to begin practicing by early next week. That's assuming that is not too late given student-athlete welfare concerns.

Northern Illinois, for example, concluded its season Nov. 26. Any team replacing the Gophers would likely be in the same situation.
"[The Holiday Bowl] has tickets to be sold, rooms to be sold, airline tickets to be sold," said Bob Bowlsby, chairman of the NCAA Football Oversight Committee. "They have lots of events to stage. Northern Illinois or anybody could say, 'We can't get ready.' Then what do you do?"

http://www.cbssports.com/college-fo...being-played-at-all-due-to-minnesota-boycott/

Go Gophers!!

Clearly a mess and the Holiday Bowl is clearly caught in the middle for something they didn't do. It is a punch in the gut to San Diego.

Clearly a mess and the Holiday Bowl is clearly caught in the middle for something they didn't do. It is a punch in the gut to San Diego.

And Washington State. Feel bad for those kids and fans after somewhat of a breakthrough season.

per Dodd:

There are significant logistical issues as to whether the Holiday Bowl could even be played if Minnesota follows through with its planned boycott, sources told CBS Sports.

Northern Illinois, which is next in line in the bowl pecking order to play Washington State on Dec. 27 in San Diego if the Gophers' boycott continues through the bowl game -- hasn't played in three weeks. One official associated with the process pointed out that school at NIU has been out since early December and holiday plans have been made by players.

Minnesota players announced Thursday they would boycott all team activities until 10 suspended players are reinstated.
Any team replacing Minnesota would probably have to begin practicing by early next week. That's assuming that is not too late given student-athlete welfare concerns.

Northern Illinois, for example, concluded its season Nov. 26. Any team replacing the Gophers would likely be in the same situation.
"[The Holiday Bowl] has tickets to be sold, rooms to be sold, airline tickets to be sold," said Bob Bowlsby, chairman of the NCAA Football Oversight Committee. "They have lots of events to stage. Northern Illinois or anybody could say, 'We can't get ready.' Then what do you do?"

http://www.cbssports.com/college-fo...being-played-at-all-due-to-minnesota-boycott/

Go Gophers!![/QUOT
I expect all the bowls will amend next year's contracts to allow themselves flexibility after this debacle. If the Gophers don't end the boycott soon and NIU can't attend, I wonder if the Holiday Bowl would be allowed a unique option this year: San Diego State plays in the Las Vegas Bowl tomorrow. Their campus is only 5 miles from Qualcomm, many of the players are from Cal., and they play all their regular season home games at Qualcomm, so the logistics of attending Dec. 27th might be feasable. Might the Aztecs be invited to play a second bowl game, the Holiday, where they would probably sell a decent number of seats? If I was the Mountain West commish and the Holiday offered an extra 2.8 million payday for the conference, I'd gladly accept.

I suspect that tomorrow....things will be worked out and that the team will still play. My guess is that Kahyelr will issue a statement that all explusions/suspensions will be under review and that appeals will be available.

I suspect that tomorrow....things will be worked out and that the team will still play. My guess is that Kahyelr will issue a statement that all explusions/suspensions will be under review and that appeals will be available.

Not only did the whole team make a statement yesterday, the HC did too, as he defended them. After the release of the report, they either have to swallow a lot of their pride and admit fault and abandon the 10 teammates, or they continue to stick behind them. If they decide to play the bowl game, it means they are a very split group. If they continue to boycott, they are still unified.

Will be an interesting day.

Top Bottom