CBS: College Football Playoff likely locked in at four teams through 2026

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Dodd:

Two of the most powerful persons involved in the process see little chance college football's playoff will expand beyond four teams before 2027.

Both ESPN CEO John Skipper and BCS executive director Bill Hancock said there was no “look-in” built into the playoff contract that would allow both parties to come together on a renegotiation of format. That doesn't mean it couldn't happen during the 12-year term of the deal that begins after the 2014 season, but it doesn't appear likely.

The typical “look-in” language that is usually part of a TV rights-holders' deal with a conference does not exist in ESPN's agreement with the FBS commissioners.

“The commissioners and presidents wanted to go long because they wanted to stop further speculation about eight teams and 16 teams,” Skipper said. “They put a stake in the ground that, for 12 years, it's going to be the same. I don't think there's any contemplation that there will be any change to that.”

“They're [commissioners] committed, and the presidents are too,” Hancock said Monday morning at the annual Football Writers Association of America breakfast. “I tell you on Jan. 7, 2013 I don't see anything that would change.”

There has been speculation almost from the time the playoff was announced in June that the four-team playoff would quickly morph into eight. There are already potential issues developing with the selection process.

ESPN is paying approximately $500 million per year for the rights to the playoff. Skipper was asked what could change the intent to stay at four teams.

“What could change that if the conference commissioners, if the BCS committee, decided to change it,” Skipper said. “I don't think they will. There was never any real discussion about eight teams. “

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoo...f-likely-locked-in-at-four-teams-through-2026

Go Gophers!!

Both ESPN CEO John Skipper and BCS executive director Bill Hancock said there was no “look-in” built into the playoff contract that would allow both parties to come together on a renegotiation of format. That doesn't mean it couldn't happen during the 12-year term of the deal that begins after the 2014 season, but it doesn't appear likely.
So they're "likely" locked in, that is, unless they decide not to be.

Really dumb article -- seems like they played rope-a-dope with Dodd to get a media story out there that might stop fans from continually asking for playoff expansion.

Parties to a contract can renegotiate anytime they like. And one side can breach a contract whenever it pleases, especially in a situation when the breach is beneficial financially (efficient breach). If it makes sense ($$$), they'll expand whenever they please.

Good. Anything more than 4 would be way too many teams that would have zero argument as a top 2 team. Remember the main point of the 4 team playoff is to determine a more accurate champion by including that third and occasional 4th team that felt they may have been snubbed in the BCS system. Not just to add more games. Beyond 4 there has never been a team with a legitimate argument to play in the championship game as a top 2 team by season's end.

Good. Anything more than 4 would be way too many teams that would have zero argument as a top 2 team. Remember the main point of the 4 team playoff is to determine a more accurate champion by including that third and occasional 4th team that felt they may have been snubbed in the BCS system. Not just to add more games. Beyond 4 there has never been a team with a legitimate argument to play in the championship game as a top 2 team by season's end.
We're too used to the pro sport model of cheapening the regular season by giving half the teams a second chance in the post-season. Its absolutely preposterous that Basketball and Hockey who could easily play a full double round robin home and away against every opponent in the league have chosen to allow teams under .500 into the playoffs. Keep the college football regular season as meaningful as possible. The games matter in August and September. It's a wonderful system.

Ya, it's too bad that the ncaa basketball tournament doesn't follow this wonderful 4 team model. No one ever wins that unless they are a #1 seed anyway. (#7 Kentuckey) Is the football championship supposed to be an exclusive club, or determine a champion? It would seem that 8 teams would be much better suited to determining a champion.

We're too used to the pro sport model of cheapening the regular season by giving half the teams a second chance in the post-season. Its absolutely preposterous that Basketball and Hockey who could easily play a full double round robin home and away against every opponent in the league have chosen to allow teams under .500 into the playoffs. Keep the college football regular season as meaningful as possible. The games matter in August and September. It's a wonderful system.

Well stated, AO54. We have enough participation awards already. Point is...If ya wanna get to the final 4 in Football, EARN IT DON'T CHEAPEN IT!!!

Ya, it's too bad that the ncaa basketball tournament doesn't follow this wonderful 4 team model. No one ever wins that unless they are a #1 seed anyway. (#7 Kentuckey) Is the football championship supposed to be an exclusive club, or determine a champion? It would seem that 8 teams would be much better suited to determining a champion.

Yes, and there is no difference between basketball and football at the D1 level. All those also rans (Gopher Included) get a bowl game...but if you don't win your conference championship you have no business playing for a national championship in college football...IMO.

:clap: The most successful tournament model in the history of sports is right there for the emulating...so let's do something totally different. Playoffs work in high school and in every other level of college football (not to mention every other collegiate sport I can think of), but God forbid we touch the D1 football system.

Easy: Conference champs from the 5 power conferences get auto-bids. Committee decides the other 3 teams. Regular season still matters because you 1) obviously need to reach your conference title game for an auto-bid, 2) obviously want to build up your resume as much as possible in the event you need an at-large bid. You think conference title games are a big deal and huge money makers now? What until they become an ad-hoc "Round of 16." I don't see the downside for anyone.

Yes, and there is no difference between basketball and football at the D1 level. All those also rans (Gopher Included) get a bowl game...but if you don't win your conference championship you have no business playing for a national championship in college football...IMO.

There are more than 4 conferences.

:clap: The most successful tournament model in the history of sports is right there for the emulating...so let's do something totally different. Playoffs work in high school and in every other level of college football (not to mention every other collegiate sport I can think of), but God forbid we touch the D1 football system.

Easy: Conference champs from the 5 power conferences get auto-bids. Committee decides the other 3 teams. Regular season still matters because you 1) obviously need to reach your conference title game for an auto-bid, 2) obviously want to build up your resume as much as possible in the event you need an at-large bid. You think conference title games are a big deal and huge money makers now? What until they become an ad-hoc "Round of 16." I don't see the downside for anyone.

I agree wholeheartedly with this post. Especially the last paragraph. (Though the term you are looking for is "de facto.")

I don't want Butler in my Division I national championship game and i don't want to see them play VCU in the final four. I want the 2 best teams to play for it, not some team that made a lucky Cinderella run at the right time.

In 2027, I'm flying my spacecar to the Rose Bowl. Who's in?

Arguably the greatest moment in US sports history involved the seventh-seeded US amateur team defeating the mighty soviets.

I love college football and the inter-conference bowl matchups but the way a champion is selected is an abomination.

I love the idea of an eight team playoff involving the power conferences and some baby conference champion bubble teams.

Who wouldn't have wanted to see Boise State or Utah or TCU (at their peak over the last 10 years) take power conference teams? Fans of the those power teams.

IMO there aren't a lot of good arguments against a 6 ( one bubble team) or 8 team (3 bubble team) playoff.

Arguably the greatest moment in US sports history involved the seventh-seeded US amateur team defeating the mighty soviets.
oh come on now. It was hockey which was even more of a niche sport at the time. It was important and great only because of the commies. You also don't have "puck luck" in football. The Boise States of the world must earn their way to the title game by becoming better over several years and going undefeated against a better schedule of opponents to prove their spot in the final four, rather than just be gifted with an auto bid from a weak conference.

I don't want Butler in my Division I national championship game and i don't want to see them play VCU in the final four. I want the 2 best teams to play for it, not some team that made a lucky Cinderella run at the right time.

fully agree- please prepare yourself for some of the most awful football national champions. the golden days are over.

Those Boise State teams were loaded with future NFLers including some first round picks. It isossible for those lightning in a bottle type teams to compete and it's pretty exciting for a lot of us when Cinderella teams do well.

It's what sports is all about! Teamwork, hard work, getting better.

I would also disagree about the miracle on ice. The politics was a big part of it but it was and is a great story.

A four team playoff does not allow for teams that got better through the year, or worse through the year, or fluky victories/losses. There ought to be some "wild card" spots available.

Lets say MN missed playing The heavy hitters in the Big Ten in any given year and were "gifted" a trip to the big ten championship game. Would you be moping about it and saying we should stay home? MN hasn't proven anything consistently? Or would you be excited even though most fans across the country would groan at that prospect (being honest)?

What is the duration of cutoff of excellence that makes the cut? Three years, five years of domination?

Lets say MN missed playing The heavy hitters in the Big Ten in any given year and were "gifted" a trip to the big ten championship game. Would you be moping about it and saying we should stay home? MN hasn't proven anything consistently? Or would you be excited even though most fans across the country would groan at that prospect (being honest)?

What is the duration of cutoff of excellence that makes the cut? Three years, five years of domination?
You're not going to make it to the Big Ten championship without beating good teams. The heavy hitters from the other division that are complaining will have losses to point to that should keep them out of the national title conversation. I can't recall a year where we've had 5 undefeated teams that could claim their schedule was worthy of a national championship. I don't care if you got better throughout the year, if you crapped the bed earlier in the season against an inferior team, you are not worthy. period.

I agree that 8 teams is the right #. With 4 you may settle a pissing contest between 11-1 LSU and 11-1 Alabama by letting them both in. But an 11-1 Minnesota or 12-0 Boise State will still most likely never get a shot.

There are 10 conferece champions each year in FBS college football, not 2, and not 4. Each of them should have an avenue to compete for a national championship in an 8 or 12 team playoff.

12 Team Playoff format example:
Top 4 conf champs - 4 Spots
Bottom 6 Conf Champs - Play-In for 3 Spots
At large Berths - 5 Spots

All Team Seeded
Round 1: 1-4 byes; 5-12, 6-11, 7-10, 8-9 (4 games on campus)
Round 2: At the home of 1-4 seeds (on Campus)
Round 3: Final 4 location
Round 4: Championship Location

Would need to move to 11 games reg season, or eliminate conf Championship games
3 Games to a Championship for Top 4 seeds
4 Games to a Champoinship for 5-12 Seeds
Every team in FBS Football has an Avenue to a National Championship, as it should be

Screw you Jim Valvano. You ruined the 1983 NCAA basketball tournament!

Top Bottom