CBS: Coaches want the NCAA to allow senior basketball players to return next season, but it's a complicated issue

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Dennis and Matt:

Who would be able or even want to return?
More than 60% of Division I teams (214 out of 350) would have finished their seasons if the conference tournaments had been completed.

That means 136 teams would be alive in the postseason – 68 in the NCAA Tournament, 32 in the NIT, 16 in the College Basketball Invitational and 20 in the CollegeInsider.com Tournament.

Either way, it's not exactly clear which seniors would have completed their careers and which would still be alive this week.

"I think all of [the seniors should be allowed an extra season]," Boynton said. "I don't think they can separate them out … I've heard Coach K and Tom Izzo speak positively about it. I would guess those guys are pretty strong voices. If those guys were against it, that would make it more challenging I would think."

Boynton estimates the move would impact approximately 1,000 seniors, total, at the 350 DI schools.

"Five hundred of them won't want to come back to school," he said. "The rest of this stuff will kind of play itself out."

Go Gophers!!

I don't expect this to happen. This isn't spring where functionally the whole season was cancelled. Some players missed out on a handful of games. Really disppointing for them and the fans, I get it. But giving them an entire season for the lost post season seems too much. Could potentially create competitive balance issues in basketball especially where one or two guys can make the difference between second division and conference champs. An extra year for seniors just seems like a hard sell.

If I had Cassius Winston coming back in that scenario, I might push it like Izzo, too.

It may be unfair but it would be equally unfair to the incoming freshman vying for those spots.

so, no, but it's a real bummer for them

I guess that if the NBA or playing abroad was not an option some players might come back.
But it opens a can of worms.
WI's whole starting team is made up of juniors. They did not get to play in the post season either. Should they be given another year of eligibility? And what about the other underclassmen?
What about recruits who were promised playing time because of seniors leaving? Should they be able to get out of LOI?
It is not going to happen. As a coach said if not playing in a tournament or the NCAA is the worst thing that ever happens to those players in their entire lives they will have lived very lucky lives.

I am not sure it’s happening, but I don’t see it as that difficult to navigate if they wanted it to happen.

I don't expect this to happen. This isn't spring where functionally the whole season was cancelled. Some players missed out on a handful of games. Really disppointing for them and the fans, I get it. But giving them an entire season for the lost post season seems too much. Could potentially create competitive balance issues in basketball especially where one or two guys can make the difference between second division and conference champs. An extra year for seniors just seems like a hard sell.

If I had Cassius Winston coming back in that scenario, I might push it like Izzo, too.
To determine this year's Nat'l Champ, they should have a pre-season tourney this fall with a reduced number of teams -- only players on this year's roster can participate, no new incoming freshmen.

There's already competitive imbalances. Who knows, maybe schools getting Seniors back unexpectedly could push underclassmen to other programs in search for playing time. I'd rather encourage players to come back for more school/college hoops.

I'm all for it.

Top Bottom