CBS: Citing game's violence, Bo Jackson says he 'would have never played football'

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per CBS:

Bo Jackson was one of the greatest athletes of the 20th century, competing at the highest level in both football and baseball. But knowing what he does now about the violence of the game, Jackson says he would have never played football and would steer his kids to other sports like baseball, basketball or soccer.

"If I knew back then what I know now,'' Jackson told USA Today, "I would have never played football. Never. I wish I had known about all of those head injuries, but no one knew that. And the people that did know that, they wouldn't tell anybody. The game has gotten so violent, so rough. We're so much more educated on this CTE stuff [chronic traumatic encephalopathy], there's no way I would ever allow my kids to play football today."

It's an alarming quote from one of the best college football players, a Heisman Trophy winner and Auburn legend. Jackson has remained close to the game as a passionate supporter of the Tigers and by making appearances at events like the 14th annual Professional Baseball Scouts Foundation, which brought about this interview and quote.

http://www.cbssports.com/college-fo...son-says-he-would-have-never-played-football/

Go Gophers!!

It was a pleasure to watch Bo play. First athlete to hit it out of the park in sports marketing. Then he graciously stepped aside for Jordan to take over the world.

You are forgetting the sports stars cartoon with Jordan and Gretzky in 1991

"If I knew back then what I know now,'' Jackson told USA Today, "I would have never played football. Never.”

At the same time, Jackson, 54, noted that he "wouldn't change a thing" about his career. "The man upstairs had a plan of the way of working things out," he told USA Today.

I’m confused. Would he play, or not?

"If I knew back then what I know now,'' Jackson told USA Today, "I would have never played football. Never.”

At the same time, Jackson, 54, noted that he "wouldn't change a thing" about his career. "The man upstairs had a plan of the way of working things out," he told USA Today.

I’m confused. Would he play, or not?

Maybe we can attribute playing football to the confusion.

Top Bottom