CBS: Candid Coaches: Who will be college basketball's best team in 2024-25?

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Per Parrish:

So we began our 2024 Candid Coaches series by asking more than 100 Division I coaches the following question:

Who will be the best team this season?​

Kansas35.6%
Alabama27.9%
Houston13.5%
Duke9.6%
UConn7.7%
Others receiving votes: Arizona, Baylor, Gonzaga, North Carolina

Quotes that stood out​

On Kansas​

• "They had a down year for them -- and I think Bill Self's press conference at the end of the year said it all. He will be more motivated and locked in than ever before. They have a strong group of returners, with Hunter Dickinson being a potential player of (the) year. AJ Storr could prove to be a huge pickup for them, with Griffen from Alabama being a major sleeper too."
  • "They have a phenomenal core of experienced players in Dajuan Harris, Hunter Dickinson and KJ Adams. They also add AJ Storr and others to go with that incredible home-court advantage."
  • "They absolutely reloaded. Self ain't going through what he went through last year!"
  • "Kansas returned plenty of experience and filled holes with high quality transfers."

On Alabama​

• "That machine is rolling. [This] year will be their year to cut the nets."
  • "They have the resources to build great rosters -- and a coach (Nate Oats) who understands how to maximize them. They got their first Final Four. A championship is next. Just a matter of time."
  • "[They] return [almost] everyone of note and added really good players to the mix."

On Houston​

• "Even with the loss of heart-and-soul Jamal Shead, I think they have an embarrassment of riches with their kind of guys. LJ Cryer and Emanuel Sharp could be the best all-around backcourt in the country, and you get [Terrance] Arceneaux and [Joseph} Tugler back healthy, an experienced Big 12 guard in Milos Uzan, and the return of two key 'Houston' bigs in J'Wan Roberts and Ja'Vier Francis. And that's before you add two top-70 [freshmen] in Mercy Miller and Chase McCarty. It's a team tailor-made for Kelvin Sampson to mold into a smothering, nasty, talented, Houston juggernaut."
  • "For me, it's easy. All the other schools are great -- but as sure as the sun will come up in the morning and go down in the evening, Kelvin Sampson will have a group that will do everything in their power to exceed expectations. They don't believe in potential. They do believe in WORK and toughness. ... The Cougars will be in the discussion for a team capable of going all the way if health is on their side."

On Duke​

• "How good is Cooper Flagg going to be? That's the question. But I think he'll be great, and there are enough really good pieces around him for Duke to win it all. That's the most talented team in the country. Just gotta see if it comes together. But the talent to win it all is there."

On UConn​

• "Until somebody knocks UConn off the throne, I'm going with them. I know the team will be different and there will be unreal expectations, but they were playing at a different level than everybody else last year in the tournament. I know a lot of it had to do with their personnel, but it also had a lot to do with Dan Hurley and his coaching staff."

Go Gophers!!

Gonzaga has been so good for so long. It just feels like they're due to finally cut down the nets. Right now Zags are my choice for the One Shining Moment.

Have to admit, wasn’t aware Hunter Dickinson had another year of eligibility.

Top Bottom