CBS' Bruce Feldman: I'm very skeptical the Gophers can take the next step

I'd have to agree. The comment by Feldman is a red herring. The next step for our team is NOT Ohio State's level. The next step is consistently winning 6 games and making bowl games. We're not there yet. The next step after that is winning 8-10 games a year and going to some of the better bowls. The next step after that is being in the conference title conversation every year and occasionally making a BCS bowl (I suppose that would be OSU territory). So I argue we're a good 2 steps from having to worry about the step Feldman referred to.

Agree that we are not trying to get to OSU levels in the short term however I think we are at the point where the next step is a higher standard than just 6 wins and a bowl game. Given the ability to load the non-conf with reasonably easy games to win, the target should be closer to 7-8 wins on a yearly basis and consistently finishing in at least the middle of the pack in the conference.

Actually, I wonder if he's giving the program more credit than the fans are. I wonder if in his mind the Gophers are already at the Iowa/Nebraska etc. level. I'm not sure I'm willing to go that far yet, but that could explain his comments, because clearly there is at least one step between perennial bottom half of B1G dweller and that.

I agree securing an Andrew luck type qb is the quickest path to success. However, we aren't going to be recruiting 4 star/6.0 top 10 level recruits right now unless they grew up here. We can hope for someone to emerge like a Chris streveler or even gasp, a Mitch Leidner. With a decent defense, dominant run game, and efficient passing game we can be a 10+ win team if the chips fall our way. We had the defense, special teams ,and run o to have been a 10 win team this past year except for Cougar who lost it and turned in his wings (Nelson) and yes some coaching issues and .it hurt to lack a star receiver...

Anyways, this team has some good talent coming up and should be a competitive mid tier team and much hinges on qb play and the turnover on th defensive side. I think we will be MUCH better on o this coming year.

Do practice facilities really matter that much to recruits? Seems to me other factors like school environment, city, coaches would be more important.

I hear about the U's deficit but has anyone ever compiled a comparison and how great are the differences? Does having your own weight rack etc really matter to recruits or is it one of those things pundits like to say matters to recruits?

Do practice facilities really matter that much to recruits? Seems to me other factors like school environment, city, coaches would be more important.

I hear about the U's deficit but has anyone ever compiled a comparison and how great are the differences? Does having your own weight rack etc really matter to recruits or is it one of those things pundits like to say matters to recruits?

I would say it matters. This generation is all about the #swag

New facilities with all the amenities = #bukuswag

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edit: not really about having your own weight rack - it's about the giant TV's, custom furniture, cool team-themed decor, etc. Recruits want a palace to chill between practices and classes.

Facilities matter when the other things don't. lol

All other things being equal I imagine they do. We cannot change a school's environment, city, climate, etc. You can influence who the coach is and what kind of money a program has to invest in facilities. So yes it would give us an edge over those who don't have a practice facility with players who already are ok with the other factors.

The long-term future is bright.

Next year? I can't see more than 6 wins if Mitch is the QB for the entire season. Hopefully Steveler or McKinzy have taken the reigns by the start of the B1G season.

I'm not sure why you'd assume this. Nobody thought we'd win eight games this season. Is Mitch really that much of a drop off as opposed to Nelson? I don't think so. We have a bunch of returning players. No reason to think we have a six win ceiling.

Could we just start beating Wisconsin occasionally before we start talking about a powerhouse.

I'm also very skeptical that the Gophers can go from perennial bottom-feeders to national championship contenders.

Thanks for the insight, Bruce.

Apparently the next step for this writer is to enter another atmosphere?

Top Bottom