CBS: Big Ten's Jim Delany doesn't rule out NCAA split

There are more sports than football, I don't believe the NCAA would allow a school to leave for football but stay in for say basketball and hockey.

There are more sports than football, I don't believe the NCAA would allow a school to leave for football but stay in for say basketball and hockey.

Why not? The NCAA admisisters the national post-season tournaments for both sports, negotiates the TV deals for those tournaments and collects (and distributes) the TV revenue for those tournaments.

If they want to have any money - they'll beg and plead to let things continue "as is" in men's bball and men's hockey (and baseball).

Why wouldn't they? I'd be shocked if CBS/TNT don't have an escape clause in their basketball contract if the major conferences leave the NCAA. The ratings would drop to zero without those schools. The NCAA B-ball tourney would basically become the NIT, since the AQ Schools' championship would be the "real" championship. And the other sports already lose money - without the crowds from the bigger schools and the small amount of money from TV they'd bleed money.

The real question is why would the BCS want to stay in the NCAA in other sports? Hockey would probably be the only one that might make sense due to the limited number of teams. But basketball they could get a much bigger piece of the pie if they held their own championship.

There's no chance that the major conferences would leave the NCAA, it's just hot air.

Why wouldn't they? I'd be shocked if CBS/TNT don't have an escape clause in their basketball contract if the major conferences leave the NCAA. The ratings would drop to zero without those schools. The NCAA B-ball tourney would basically become the NIT, since the AQ Schools' championship would be the "real" championship. And the other sports already lose money - without the crowds from the bigger schools and the small amount of money from TV they'd bleed money.

The real question is why would the BCS want to stay in the NCAA in other sports? Hockey would probably be the only one that might make sense due to the limited number of teams. But basketball they could get a much bigger piece of the pie if they held their own championship.

I respectfully disagree with you on the MBB tournament, Goldy.

The MBB tourny as we've come to know it and love these past few years has been all about the Cinderella story. That's what gets the marketing and the press.

Sure, you can absolutely say that a large number of viewers tune into watch the tournament to follow large schools. But the reason the MBB tourny draws so many TV viewers is that the average Joe off the street who hasn't watched MBB all year can fill out an office pool, tune in and cheer for the upset.

It's mutually assured destruction. A BCS-only MBB tournament wouldn't draw nearly as many viewers as the current NCAA MBB tournament (I guess it would be something like a combination of the BCS conference tournaments). At the same time, the NCAA MBB tournament viewership would definitely suffer without the big schools being apart of it.

Hence, all the more reason why the NCAA and the BCS schools would negotiate to keep things "as is" in non-football sports.

Football is simply it's own beast. It already has it's own post-season...I don't really see why it would be that big a stretch for the BCS to have its own regular season.

The MBB tourny as we've come to know it and love these past few years has been all about the Cinderella story. That's what gets the marketing and the press.

Without the big boys in the NCAA tournament there wouldn't bee any chance for a Cinderella to develop. A team on a run would simply continue to beat other mid- and low-major teams translated, they are beating teams they should. Now there will be a few team in the NCAA tournament like Bulter, Xaiver, Gonzaga, etc. that will replace the Duke's, UNC, UConn's, etc. KINDA. It still wouldn't be the same.

Which tournament would you watch if they were on against each other the one with the big boys or the Mid-Majors?

Also I hope that Delany and those other in this potential group can at least find a to ditch the current, terrible, insanely complex NCAA rulebook and trade it in for something much more simple and easier to understand, along with making it easier to nail people that operate on the fringes and gray areas of rules.

I respectfully disagree with you on the MBB tournament, Goldy.

Sure, you can absolutely say that a large number of viewers tune into watch the tournament to follow large schools. But the reason the MBB tourny draws so many TV viewers is that the average Joe off the street who hasn't watched MBB all year can fill out an office pool, tune in and cheer for the upset.

It's mutually assured destruction. A BCS-only MBB tournament wouldn't draw nearly as many viewers as the current NCAA MBB tournament (I guess it would be something like a combination of the BCS conference tournaments). At the same time, the NCAA MBB tournament viewership would definitely suffer without the big schools being apart of it.

Hence, all the more reason why the NCAA and the BCS schools would negotiate to keep things "as is" in non-football sports.

Football is simply it's own beast. It already has it's own post-season...I don't really see why it would be that big a stretch for the BCS to have its own regular season.

It's America - you're welcome to disagree! :) I agree with what MN Boiler said, there isn't a David without Goliath. Without the BCS conferences the NCAA loses a lot of luster. It becomes the NIT. Actually, it becomes the DII championship. The NCAA is fun because you pick schools you never heard of to beat the powerhouses. It isn't fun if it's picking schools you never heard of to beat other schools you never heard of.

I do agree with you that the combined ratings would be lower. But that doesn't mean the BCS schools wouldn't profit more out of that situation. They'd get 100% of the money rather than losing a chunk to support lower division championships then splitting the rest with non-BCS conferences.

It's all about money. If the BCS schools can make more money leaving the NCAA, they will. Jim Delaney and other BCS leaders have been making comments for the last few years that are pointing in that direction. Besides, what better way to ensure you don't get busted for breaking the rules? Make your own rules...

There's no chance that the major conferences would leave the NCAA, it's just hot air.

Care to make a wager?

The NCAA as we know it will soon be left in the scrap heap of history.

Watch Delaney, as he will lead the way. It is primarily about money. Why should the heavyweights -- who create all the wealth -- have to share so much of it with an increasing number of lightweights? Why should Boise State regularly go to a BCS Bowl while Big 10 Conference Co-champ Michigan State plays in a lesser bowl with just a fraction of the payout?
Why should there be the threat of lawsuits so that more Boise State's can go to annual bowls with a $17 million payout?

Nope...all the nonsense will come to an end...there will be 4 Super Conferences in football, and they will have their playoff...and keep their own money.

The 'others' can then do whatever they please.:D

Top Bottom