CBS: Big Ten schools eye stadium improvements in anticipation of hosting future College Football Playoff games

Time to revive the great "Heating Coyles" debate. Are they really still there?

Yes, that helps.

I punted on drinking beer, after the first one got slushy rather quickly. Not sure if that helped or hindered.
I am guilty as well. Also, I used my 1st grade son as an excuse but we stopped had a burger at Shamrocks vs. tailgating.

I cannot see us in a playoff.
I guess the BIG will have three or possibly four slots in the playoff twelve slots so it is in the realm of possibility for IA, MN, or WI to make the playoff.

I guess the BIG will have three or possibly four slots in the playoff twelve slots so it is in the realm of possibility for IA, MN, or WI to make the playoff.
Here's one thing not discussed in this forum, while it's possible that 3 Big 10 teams make the playoff, what are the chances that one of those 3 winds up in a position to Host?

- In a Division-less set up (Top 2 in in Big 10 Championship) that winners most certainly is going to get a Top 4 Seed and Bye, as it's proposed that those teams need to be Conf Champions. No home game for the Champion.

- Will other Conference Champions (but not in the Top 4) get automatic or preferential seeding in the 5-8 range who would then host a Playoff Game?

- The 2nd best Big 10 teams will at least have 1 loss, and more likely 2 or 3. 3 loss teams would have a hard time being in the Top 8.

- Right now I would find it difficult to envision the 3rd best Big 10 team being Top 8, but with so much unknown after USC/UCLA's arrival and schedule format...who knows?

Using last year as an example, #3 Ohio St as a non-champion most likely would have gotten to host. However, in the expected Big 10 Championship format, if they had rematch vs Michigan and lost again, I think it would be difficult for them to stick in the Top 8.

Another potential aspect is if any of the other Conferences abandoned the Division format.

Making the playoff doesn't guarantee you a home game on-campus, in the first round. You have to be seeded 5-8, with seeds 9-12 being the visiting teams.

Interesting to note then, seeds 1-4 don't get on-campus home games at all, instead getting a BYE, then quarter-finals at bowl games. This is not sitting well with some coaches, athletic directors, and such.

Some are advocating and pushing for the first two rounds to be on-campus sites, with seeds 1-4 hosting in the 2nd round. Don't know if they would re-seed after the first round. Details, details, to work out.

Making the playoff doesn't guarantee you a home game on-campus, in the first round. You have to be seeded 5-8, with seeds 9-12 being the visiting teams.

Interesting to note then, seeds 1-4 don't get on-campus home games at all, instead getting a BYE, then quarter-finals at bowl games. This is not sitting well with some coaches, athletic directors, and such.

Some are advocating and pushing for the first two rounds to be on-campus sites, with seeds 1-4 hosting in the 2nd round. Don't know if they would re-seed after the first round. Details, details, to work out.

Yes, Seeds 1-4 would potentially have to travel 3 times, on top of a 4th trip for their Conference Championship.

I kinda think they should do that. More like the NFL. Bit of 180 on my thinking for it.

Make first two rounds on-campus sites, then make the semi-finals and championship be at bid out sites. Or if the Peach and Cotton bowl are fine being on Jan 9th or whatever, then sure fine brand them as those games.

Rose gets to have its rightful, traditional NYD afternoon slot, as it should.

It's below zero, the wind has the flags stiff, making the windchill -47 and a couple blocks from our campus stadium is a world class indoor football stadium. But, we are giving the thought of playing on the kinda field you could actually throw passes on... the finger.

Why?

The Packers, Bears, Browns, Bengals etc all play outdoor games in December and January
I should clarify. I have no problem with outdoor in CFP. Hell I’ve been at Iowa and Purdue games at home that were freezing and no issues with it. It’s the rest of the damn fragile country. When the Super Bowl was here I couldn’t get over how big of pussies fans of teams from other states were, ESPECIALLY Philly!!! All they did was bitch about how cold it was. Thank God it wasn’t an outdoor game, and that was a “northern” team. You think those slugs from the SEC and south want to play outdoors at Camp Randall? They may not have a choice, but I have to admit when I first posted I didn’t think about the playoff expansion, that definitely changes the landscape. I was merely thinking about the 2 semis and championship. It’s bad enough the BiG only does indoors, but I guess they feel that the highest attendance would be indoors and ad much as I personally like football in the elements (and apparently many on this board too) I don’t think that those that make the decisions feel the same for the most part. Guess we will see.

If the NFL can play outside in December why cant D1 football

If the NFL can play outside in December why cant D1 football

The biggest problem is the possibility of frozen fields. The only northern NFL stadium that doesn't have a heating system is Buffalo. So most NFL teams can keep their fields in decent shape in freezing temps.

Most of the B1G teams have some sort of artificial turf which handles freezing temperatures better. But grass fields don't handle freezing temps well.

Playing on frozen fields is obviously not good for players. And it also takes away from the quality of the game because footing is so bad.

The skunks should save their money. It is not going to happen at Campground Randall.
Well, for my enjoyment on road games, I'm good with them upgrading more. If I ever get back to Penn State, I hope they have done some serious upgrading too. Pretty spoiled with what we have here, TBH.

Will take a lot more than $5 mil to upgrade the shitholee Camp Randell. May want to put that towards tearing it down and a new one instead - if they were serious the decision had anything to do w the playoffs.

Will take a lot more than $5 mil to upgrade the shitholee Camp Randell. May want to put that towards tearing it down and a new one instead - if they were serious the decision had anything to do w the playoffs.
They just completed around a $70 million renovation right before last season started.

Here's one thing not discussed in this forum, while it's possible that 3 Big 10 teams make the playoff, what are the chances that one of those 3 winds up in a position to Host?

- In a Division-less set up (Top 2 in in Big 10 Championship) that winners most certainly is going to get a Top 4 Seed and Bye, as it's proposed that those teams need to be Conf Champions. No home game for the Champion.

- Will other Conference Champions (but not in the Top 4) get automatic or preferential seeding in the 5-8 range who would then host a Playoff Game?

- The 2nd best Big 10 teams will at least have 1 loss, and more likely 2 or 3. 3 loss teams would have a hard time being in the Top 8.

- Right now I would find it difficult to envision the 3rd best Big 10 team being Top 8, but with so much unknown after USC/UCLA's arrival and schedule format...who knows?

Using last year as an example, #3 Ohio St as a non-champion most likely would have gotten to host. However, in the expected Big 10 Championship format, if they had rematch vs Michigan and lost again, I think it would be difficult for them to stick in the Top 8.

Another potential aspect is if any of the other Conferences abandoned the Division format.
I have made the argument before that a divisional format is more likely to sneak an extra team in and more likely to yield more home games.
In a 12 team playoff the best format to get more teams in is to get your team that’s rated 13-16 in the championship game.
That’s usually a divisional winner that’s the third or fourth best team in the conference over the second best team

One vs two could bounce you out of a playoff spot, or out of a bye

One vs four could sneak you into a playoff autobid while the #1 team still gets an at large

Top Bottom