CBS article touting Leach

Gopher07

Captain of Awesome
Reaction score
http://college-football-blog.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/24156338/25320654

Now that Minnesota has officially fired Tim Brewster the search for a new head coach in Minneapolis has already gotten under way. Heck, the Gophers have already been turned down by their top target, Tony Dungy.

Though Dungy is willing to help his alma mater out in finding its next coach, and he even has somebody in mind. Unfortunately for Minnesota, the man that Dungy has in mind is not the answer to what ails the Gophers. I'd also guarantee that the man the school does need is not on Tony Dungy's radar.

Pirates prefer to stay off the radar.

While Minnesota Vikings defensive coordinator Lesley Frazier may be a good coach, the fact is he's never been a head coach, and no matter how much Tony Dungy likes him, Frazier won't make Minnesota a destination.

Mike Leach would.

If Minnesota athletic director Joel Maturi doesn't place a call to Mike Leach before he does Frazier, or any other potential candidate, he's doing a disservice to his school. Mike Leach is a head coach that would not only bring attention to Minnesota, but he'd also reinvent the program, and just might turn the Gophers into a legitimate threat in the Big Ten.

When was the last time Minnesota could say that?

Yes, there are possible distractions with Leach. I can't look past the alleged treatment of his former receiver, Adam James. Still, I can't help but think that if Adam James wasn't the son of ESPN's Craig James, Leach's pirate ship would still be anchored at Texas Tech.

Aside from that one mistake in Lubbock, though, look at what Leach has done with his football teams on the field. In ten seasons at Texas Tech the Red Raiders never had a losing season, has had ten straight bowl appearances, and never won less than seven games in a season.

You know how many times Minnesota can say they've done any of that in the last ten years? Let's see, the Gophers have had five winning seasons since 2000, four of which came when Glen Mason was the head coach. The school has won more than seven games only twice in those ten years, though they have gone to eight bowl games.

They finished higher than fifth in the Big Ten once in those ten years.

In other words, the Gophers have had very similar success to what Texas Tech had before they hired Mike Leach.

So the question for Maturi is this: does he want to go with the career coordinator who might bring a winning tradition to Minnesota, and is good friends with Tony Dungy, or does he want to go with the coach who has proven he knows how to win football games and can put a school on the map?

Seems like an easy decision to me. If Minnesota wants change then a mutiny is in order, and you need a real pirate to do that.

Two different articles. But, I see your point. I was thinking this would be a place to discuss the writer's thoughts, and the other can be a place to discuss the original question posed.

I miss the days when articles were edited before they were published. "Lesley"? He has been a head coach, albeit at a low-level program. It'd be bad enough if this was Bleacher Report, but I'd expect CBS to have more credibility.

Two different articles. But, I see your point. I was thinking this would be a place to discuss the writer's thoughts, and the other can be a place to discuss the original question posed.

I see no problems with this. After all, it's good to bring a fresh perspective on a previous subject. I've got a few questions with Leach (nothing to do with the James incident), would his pass heavy offense translate itself to the UofM? I just don't see us having the type of skill players to pull that off at this point - one good thing, he would have a pipeline to Texas.

He made almost $2 million at Texas Tech; how much would it take for him to come here and would Maturi/Bruininks be willing to pony up?

He's a proven coach that can win...could he win in the Great White North?

The writer is dead on in one regard. The odds of Tony Dungy recommending Leach would be somewhere around the odds of winning the powerball.

I'd be on board with a Leach hiring.

No matter what and who the new Head Coach will be at the University of Minnesota, 50.1% will say hey good, 49.9% will bitch. I guarantee that. My guarantee is a beer.

Please hire a coach without volatile personality problems, thanks.

After hearing Maturi's comments on WCCO tonight, now way Leach is coming here. Among other things Maturi said we need a power running scheme to win at Minnesota.

Top Bottom