CBS analysis on Gophers post-spring ball: Wait ... you can throw the ball?

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Per CBS:

Minnesota

Wait ... you can throw the ball? Coach P.J. Fleck has been successful at Minnesota, and he's experienced most of that success running the football. Minnesota has run the ball on 63.4% of its plays over the last four seasons. Only the three service academies run the ball more often. The Gophers are one of only two Power Five programs that have run the ball more than 60% of the time (the other is Minnesota's good friend, Wisconsin). Well, that could change this year. With a new QB and the team's top two rushers gone, receivers starred in Minnesota's spring game. Charlotte transfer Elijah Spencerlooked great, as did Western Michigan transfer Corey Crooms. Tight end Brevyn Spann-Ford led the team in receptions last year and will also be a factor. The Gophers will still run the ball, but maybe they won't have to do it nearly as often this season.

Go Gophers!!

also from the article:

Iowa

The Hawkeyes will never score a single point on offense:

But the worst pun - the new Wisconsin offense was called, not an "Air Raid" offense, but............"The Dairy Raid."

article is pretty funny. worth a read.

Per CBS:

Minnesota

Wait ... you can throw the ball? Coach P.J. Fleck has been successful at Minnesota, and he's experienced most of that success running the football. Minnesota has run the ball on 63.4% of its plays over the last four seasons. Only the three service academies run the ball more often. The Gophers are one of only two Power Five programs that have run the ball more than 60% of the time (the other is Minnesota's good friend, Wisconsin). Well, that could change this year. With a new QB and the team's top two rushers gone, receivers starred in Minnesota's spring game. Charlotte transfer Elijah Spencerlooked great, as did Western Michigan transfer Corey Crooms. Tight end Brevyn Spann-Ford led the team in receptions last year and will also be a factor. The Gophers will still run the ball, but maybe they won't have to do it nearly as often this season.

Go Gophers!!
It will help having a QB with a howitzer throwing to a receiving corps that looks much improved.

A 50/50 mix would keep defenses a lot more honest, especially if they can establish a deep threat presence that can stretch the field. I thought last year and the year prior they seemed almost too predictable on offense at times. Granted we had Mo who could make something out of seemingly nothing. But it would be nice to see an offense running without a governor that limits the power output.

It will help having a QB with a howitzer throwing to a receiving corps that looks much improved.

A 50/50 mix would keep defenses a lot more honest, especially if they can establish a deep threat presence that can stretch the field. I thought last year and the year prior they seemed almost too predictable on offense at times. Granted we had Mo who could make something out of seemingly nothing. But it would be nice to see an offense running without a governor that limits the power output.
I think 50/50 play mix will be hard to get to...60/40 mix with more pass yards from down field completions is what I'm looking to see. 2019 offensive stats with a QB who is more mobile and better in the pocket. He'll extend plays that Morgan couldn't.

I think 50/50 play mix will be hard to get to...60/40 mix with more pass yards from down field completions is what I'm looking to see. 2019 offensive stats with a QB who is more mobile and better in the pocket. He'll extend plays that Morgan couldn't.
I'll gladly take 60/40 pass to run, especially if it can stretch the field. It will give the RB's room to breath if there aren't 8 stacked in the box all game.

I'll gladly take 60/40 pass to run, especially if it can stretch the field. It will give the RB's room to breath if there aren't 8 stacked in the box all game.
Run to pass...

Top Bottom