CBS: Alabama considering ex-USC coach Steve Sarkisian for assistant role

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per CBS:

Hours after Alabama destroyed Southern California 52-6 on Saturday, the Crimson Tide are reportedly meeting with the Trojans' former coach.

According to the Tuscaloosa News, Steve Sarkisian is on his way to Tuscaloosa to "discuss a role" on the Tide's football staff. The exact nature of the role wasn't disclosed and nothing is official yet, per the report. Clay Travis of Fox Sports reported Saturday night that Alabama will announce Sarkisian as a special offensive assistant on Tuesday.

This would be interesting on a couple of levels if it comes to fruition, however.

For one, Sarkisian would be getting back into coaching a little less than a year after USC dismissed him for multiple reported substance-related incidents. An ESPN report said Sarkisian "showed up lit to meetings" and an August 2015 video from a donor event showed Sarkisian dropping the F-bomb while apparently under the influence of alcohol. Sarkisian was initially placed on an indefinite leave of absence before being terminated days later.

Secondly, Sarkisian would be reuniting with Alabama offensive coordinator Lane Kiffin. The two worked together under Pete Carroll as Trojan assistants from 2005-06. Sarkisian succeeded Kiffin as USC's head coach after the 2013 season.

http://www.cbssports.com/college-fo...n-is-interested-in-assistant-role-at-alabama/

Go Gophers!!

Sarkisian could be a great coach if he gets his drinking under control. Just like Kiffin can be a great coach if he stops being such an a-hole.

Will be interesting to see if he has something in his contract to the effect of will not sue you for my drinking problems like I did my last employer

Michigan is blurring this line too.

An "assistant" gets hired, doesn't count as part of the coaching staff, but you know damn well he's coaching.

I hope the NCAA weighs in on this.

Yeah I don't blame either party for wanting to make something work

This will be an extended job interview for Cutty Sark. Saban must think it's possible Kiffen will get another HC job after this season.

Top Bottom