CBS: 10 win lock totals (Minnesota over 7)

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Per CBS:

10 win lock totals:

• Alabama over 10.5: Surprised to see the Tide are actually favored (-120) to go under. If that happens in the regular season two years in a row … Paaaawlll!
  • Auburn over 6.5: Quarterback is an issue, but this a bet that the injection of Hugh Freeze's energy will allow the Tigers to squeak out seven wins.
  • Minnesota over 7: P.J. Fleck loses Tanner Morgan but has a lot of faith in the Greek Rifle Athan Kaliakmanis. Minny is averaging almost 10 wins per season since 2019 (not counting the COVID-19 season of 2020).
  • Arkansas over 7: KJ Jefferson is a force of nature. The Texas A&M game in Arlington, Texas, may decide this bet.
  • Purdue over 5: First-time head coach Ryan Walters imported plug-and-play QB Hudson Card from Texas. Don't worry about the defense. Walters' Illinois D in 2022 led the nation in scoring defense.
  • Cal under 5: There have long been questions whether the school cares enough about big-time football. Only 10 wins since 2019.
  • Duke over 7: Ignore the Blue Devils at your own peril. Mike Elko won nine games in his first season, the second-most victories at Duke since 1941.
  • USC under 10: Pac-12 is too deep to assume the Trojans are going to win 11 games again. Defensive coordinator Alex Grinch is under scrutiny big time.
  • Arizona State over 4.5: If Kenny Dillingham can find a fire-starter QB to run his productive scheme, the Sun Devils will be a handful.
  • Michigan State under 4.5: Quarterback issues coming off a 5-7 season. Only three sure wins evident on the schedule.

Go Gophers!!

any time you write a "lock" and then say it comes down to one game, you can immediately discard that opinion. that being said, there are probably 4 games we won't be favored in (@unc, @IA, vsMich, @OSU) with 1 tossup (WI will likely be given a lot of grace with Fickell so if you're not a believer, you should be able to make money off them all year) and 7 games we'll be favored in by probably at least a TD. those make for pretty decent odds to hit the over for vegas so it surprises me 7 flat is where the line sits.

Per CBS:

10 win lock totals:

• Alabama over 10.5: Surprised to see the Tide are actually favored (-120) to go under. If that happens in the regular season two years in a row … Paaaawlll!
  • Auburn over 6.5: Quarterback is an issue, but this a bet that the injection of Hugh Freeze's energy will allow the Tigers to squeak out seven wins.
  • Minnesota over 7: P.J. Fleck loses Tanner Morgan but has a lot of faith in the Greek Rifle Athan Kaliakmanis. Minny is averaging almost 10 wins per season since 2019 (not counting the COVID-19 season of 2020).
  • Arkansas over 7: KJ Jefferson is a force of nature. The Texas A&M game in Arlington, Texas, may decide this bet.
  • Purdue over 5: First-time head coach Ryan Walters imported plug-and-play QB Hudson Card from Texas. Don't worry about the defense. Walters' Illinois D in 2022 led the nation in scoring defense.
  • Cal under 5: There have long been questions whether the school cares enough about big-time football. Only 10 wins since 2019.
  • Duke over 7: Ignore the Blue Devils at your own peril. Mike Elko won nine games in his first season, the second-most victories at Duke since 1941.
  • USC under 10: Pac-12 is too deep to assume the Trojans are going to win 11 games again. Defensive coordinator Alex Grinch is under scrutiny big time.
  • Arizona State over 4.5: If Kenny Dillingham can find a fire-starter QB to run his productive scheme, the Sun Devils will be a handful.
  • Michigan State under 4.5: Quarterback issues coming off a 5-7 season. Only three sure wins evident on the schedule.

Go Gophers!!
I disagree with like 7 of these locks

any time you write a "lock" and then say it comes down to one game, you can immediately discard that opinion. that being said, there are probably 4 games we won't be favored in (@unc, @IA, vsMich, @OSU) with 1 tossup (WI will likely be given a lot of grace with Fickell so if you're not a believer, you should be able to make money off them all year) and 7 games we'll be favored in by probably at least a TD. those make for pretty decent odds to hit the over for vegas so it surprises me 7 flat is where the line sits.
Love the optimism, but there is no way we'll be 7-point favorites in the ILL or @PUR games. Bert is a fat piece of shit asshole, but he is also a damn good coach and I'm frankly pretty surprised that more people aren't talking about Illinois' chances to win the West.

This might very well be the 2nd-best Gophers squad in the Fleck era, and yet I could easily see us struggling to make a bowl. The schedule is brutal. Honestly Northwestern is the only game I have 100% confidence in winning right now. Eastern Michigan won 9 games, and Louisiana went to a bowl game last year. I think we'll win both, but they are no pushovers.

I can make a case for this team going 10-2 (guaranteed losses vs. MICH and @OSU) or 4-8. There will be several games that are toss-ups, and I'm a little concerned about our OL and adjusting to a pass-first offense. I'll still be there every home game and 1-2 away games regardless, but I'm anticipating a frustrating season.

Love the optimism, but there is no way we'll be 7-point favorites in the ILL or @PUR games. Bert is a fat piece of shit asshole, but he is also a damn good coach and I'm frankly pretty surprised that more people aren't talking about Illinois' chances to win the West.

This might very well be the 2nd-best Gophers squad in the Fleck era, and yet I could easily see us struggling to make a bowl. The schedule is brutal. Honestly Northwestern is the only game I have 100% confidence in winning right now. Eastern Michigan won 9 games, and Louisiana went to a bowl game last year. I think we'll win both, but they are no pushovers.

I can make a case for this team going 10-2 (guaranteed losses vs. MICH and @OSU) or 4-8. There will be several games that are toss-ups, and I'm a little concerned about our OL and adjusting to a pass-first offense. I'll still be there every home game and 1-2 away games regardless, but I'm anticipating a frustrating season.
oh i don't disagree with you that Ill is a tough out, more just what I'd expect the implied odds (Which is what Vegas is setting their lines on). We were 5pt favorites in Champaign last year. Purdue is probably fair looking at it right now that we wouldn't be, so I am a little biased on that one but fully expect Purdue to have a long year. Merely just saying I'm surprised based on how Vegas has valued the teams we play against (below for the P5 teams; we'll be 7 pt favorites versus EMU and ULL which is all I'm really arguing, not the actual strengths of teams). Obviously it's all preseason predictions and each game will change as we go, but I'd be a little surprised based on how they're valuing each of the teams if we aren't given the NE line is 7 now (started at 8.5)

NE 6
UNC 8.5
NW 3.5
Mich 10.5
IA 7.5
Mich St 5.5
Ill 6.5
PU 5.5
OSU 10.5
WI 9

Sparty is wow. Good thing they paid crazy for a coach.

We will be favored in 10 games this year when the actual game days come up.

UNC might be 0-2 when we get to Chapel Hill.

The Illini can't dare you to pass and send 8 against the run with what they lost in the secondary.

There is no way Iowa can replicate the number of defensive and special team scores/big impact plays that won so many games for them last year.

I can't wait to see the Longo offense on cold, windy and wet Saturdays against disciplined defenses and ball control offenses.

I've always thought a recipe for a fun season is to win more games that you are underdogs in than you lose games you are favored in. In sports, things happen and the team expected to win doesn't always win, but it is nice to get your share of the unexpected outcomes. Also, I doubt we will be as heavy of a dog against Michigan or OSU as Bowling Green was against us, so we have two chances for the big upset win that I've been craving.

We will be favored in 10 games this year when the actual game days come up.

UNC might be 0-2 when we get to Chapel Hill.

The Illini can't dare you to pass and send 8 against the run with what they lost in the secondary.

There is no way Iowa can replicate the number of defensive and special team scores/big impact plays that won so many games for them last year.

I can't wait to see the Longo offense on cold, windy and wet Saturdays against disciplined defenses and ball control offenses.
While I like how you think, being favored in 10 games is a pipe dream!

I read the headline of this post and thought “is some media person actually picking the Gophers to win 10 games? There is a difference between “10-win locks” and “Ten teams that will beat the O/U”

Top Bottom