SEASON UPDATE Carly Thibault-Dudonis Named Fairfield Head Coach

Carly Thibault will win the MAAC tourney today and take Fairfield to 30-1 in her second season. Fairfield will be going to the NCAAs.

Whalen should have handed her the clipboard three years ago. Gophers would have made an NCAA tourney under her.

Carly Thibault will win the MAAC tourney today and take Fairfield to 30-1 in her second season. Fairfield will be going to the NCAAs.

Whalen should have handed her the clipboard three years ago. Gophers would have made an NCAA tourney under her.

Fairfield plays the MAAC final tomorrow versus TBD. The Stags defeated the Golden Griffins today

Lynx should hire Thibault-Dudonis as head coach. If she is anything like her dad in WNBA they will win a lot of games if they pick her. Nothing against Cheryl Reeve but she is GM and basically president of basketball operations. Once the league expands, salary cap changes, everything is going to require a lot more attention to detail in scouting, managing the cap, player free agency, and drafts. At some point that stuff is going to become so time consuming, it is going to be difficult to be both the GM and head coach of a franchise wearing two hats. Reeve is a good basketball coach, but you can spread yourself too thin doing two jobs.

Lynx should hire Thibault-Dudonis as head coach. If she is anything like her dad in WNBA they will win a lot of games if they pick her. Nothing against Cheryl Reeve but she is GM and basically president of basketball operations. Once the league expands, salary cap changes, everything is going to require a lot more attention to detail in scouting, managing the cap, player free agency, and drafts. At some point that stuff is going to become so time consuming, it is going to be difficult to be both the GM and head coach of a franchise wearing two hats. Reeve is a good basketball coach, but you can spread yourself too thin doing two jobs.
The Lynx have a GM - Clare Duwelius. Cheryl is still involved, but I think that helps some.

I think it is better for Carly’s career to start out as a head coach at Fairfield and learn how to build a successful program than she would have been starting out at Minnesota or any Power 5 school for that matter.

That said, I was always a big fan of Carly’s and thought she was a great hire by Whalen. I distinctly remember cringing when reading posts by one of the “contributors” on this board that Whalen only hired her cronies and that none of the those assistants had any business coaching at this level.

I’m happy to see based on the comments in this thread that nobody else seemed to share that take on her.

The Lynx have a GM - Clare Duwelius. Cheryl is still involved, but I think that helps some.
That and I think when the time comes Reeve will hand off reigns to someone on her staff like Smith. I do think Thibault-Dedonis is a quality coach.

Last edited:

That and I think when the time comes Reeve will hams off reigns to someone on her staff like Smith. I do think Thibault-Dedonis is a quality coach.
I think Carly is great too. It will be interesting to continue to follow her career.

AP article about Carly Thibault from a couple of weeks back

“I would have been a horrible head coach had I not worked for Lindsay,” Thibault-DuDonis said. “I think it’s really easy to get caught up in the competition, in the business and the wins and losses. And she was people-oriented. And I think that really impacted me in a really positive way.”

Thibault-DuDonis was a surprise hire when long-time Fairfield coach Joe Frager retired in 2022 after leading the Stags to their first NCAA Tournament appearance in 21 years.

But senior guard Janelle “Nellie” Brown said the young coach immediately sat down with the team, shared her vision, showed them where they could get better and convinced them that she cared about them as people. It also helped that she was a woman, and not that far removed from her own playing days at Monmouth, said Brown, who is averaging just under 14 points a game.

“She knows what it is being in this tedious generation,” Brown said. “She understands the pains that we go through, the struggles, the stresses. So it was definitely a factor to help in us really buying into her.”

She also recruited well, landing players such as freshman Meghan Andersen, who is averaging just under 16 points per game for the Stags.

“She builds connections here and you see that on the court how we play,” Andersen said. We’re very connected. We have chemistry. And I think that starts with her because that’s what she tries to create for us.”

Fairfield and Indiana are 1-1 with the Stags winning 89-85 in December 1984 and the Hoosiers prevailing 91-58 in December 2021.

In the 2021 game, Janelle Brown, this season's MAAC Player of the Year, scored 2 points and collected 5 rebounds before fouling out in 18 minutes. Brown demonstrated in the MAAC championship game that she can still accumulate fouls quickly.

For Indiana, Mackenzie Holmes (23 points and 5 rebounds in 24 minutes) and Chloe Moore-McNeil played in the 2021 game.

FAIRFIELD, Conn. – Fairfield University Women's Basketball Head Coach Carly Thibault-DuDonis has signed a contract extension through the 2029-30 season. Coach Carly has been at the helm of the most historic season in the history of the Fairfield Women's Basketball program which includes the 2024 MAAC Championship, the team's first-ever AP Top 25 ranking, and a trip to the NCAA Tournament, where the Stags will tip-off against Indiana on Saturday.

"Fairfield has become our home, and the people here have become our family," said Thibault-DuDonis. "This place is incredibly special, starting with the passionate, caring, and driven people that come together to strive for excellence. This can be and is becoming one of the elite women's basketball schools in the country, and we've been able to prove that to be true in the last few years. I'm grateful to Dr. Nemec, Paul Schlickmann, and our entire administration for believing in me, supporting our staff and student-athletes every step of the way, and for entrusting me with this program going forward. This season has been exciting and record breaking in so many ways, and while we aren't done yet, we are thrilled about what lies ahead for Fairfield Women's Basketball. This is only the beginning, I'm here to stay!"

Top Bottom