Can Wisconsin win it all in 2012?

dpodoll68

Elite Poster
Reaction score
http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten/post/_/id/50836/can-wisconsin-win-it-all-in-2012

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

I'll commit to a 10% tithe to UW-Dolly Madison and rename my firstborn son Buckingham if the Vadgers win a national title in 2012. They had their chance (infinitesimal as it was) last year, and blew it. Good luck getting that close again, Becky.

Until there is a tourney with autofill in Big Ten team there ain't gonna be a BT NC Football champion

Until there is a tourney with autofill in Big Ten team there ain't gonna be a BT NC Football champion

I don't think I agree with that. If a Big 10 team (or a Big 12 team) would have run the table last season, they would have been in the NCG.

Bob_Loblaw said:
I don't think I agree with that. If a Big 10 team (or a Big 12 team) would have run the table last season, they would have been in the NCG.

Not to mention that OSU has played for 3 in the last decade, including winning one. Michigan would have played in one if not for OSU.

If a Big 10 team (or a Big 12 team) would have run the table last season, they would have been in the NCG.

+1. It's silly. OSU has been in the national title game 3 times in the last 10 years, and the 2005 PSU team was a 2-point road loss to Michigan away from being in a 3-horse race with Texas and USC for the 2 national championship game spots. The Big Ten is a strong conference, and anyone who runs the table any year will be in the national championship conversation by default.

Let's be reasonable here... ESPN. Wisconsin lost almost every single key element to their team including their ONLY coach. It doesn't matter who they still have at RB, they don't have anyone to coach 'em, even with their newest rent-a-qb

+1. It's silly. OSU has been in the national title game 3 times in the last 10 years, and the 2005 PSU team was a 2-point road loss to Michigan away from being in a 3-horse race with Texas and USC for the 2 national championship game spots. The Big Ten is a strong conference, and anyone who runs the table any year will be in the national championship conversation by default.

Add 2008 Penn State to this list. 1 point loss at Iowa on a GW kick.

Are the folks who dismissed the badgers championship chance out-of-hand really that confident, or is this just personal biases? I agree its pretty obvious that their best chance in a long time was last season, but they were a couple plays away last year, and they've got to be in the conversation this year too. They should be heavily favored to win their division in the 2nd or 3rd best conference in the country...that at least gives them a puncher's chance. There are a lot of teams I'd put ahead of them if I were making a list of the most likely champions, but odd things happen in the CFB season, and they're among the 25 teams or so I'd say have a reasonable shot at making the title game.

Becky will lose 3-4 games this fall. They lost many key players and several coaches as well. They will go through the same crap as Brewster's classes. Look for a long year in Dolly-Madison-ville! Go Gophers!!!
I fact, I hope they really lose 5-6 games this fall. I also hope the Becky fans OD on all their cheap, crappy beers produced in that state. Again, Go Gophers!!!

not after we march into camp randall and take back what is rightfully ours this year!

Last year's wisky team was the greatest talentwise in their history, and they blew it.
That was it, their all time high point. Hope they enjoyed spiking the ball as time ran out, i know I did!
3-4 losses and a crushing 20-30 pt defeat to OSU next year on tap for wisky.

Amen to that! Becky might even lose to the Gophers this year! That would be the ultimate high! Go Gophers!

I would be surprised if they contended for the National Championship. Ball is an all-world RB, but they lost a lot of good parts.

This thread is kind of like me laughing at an article that suggests Michael Bloomberg has some chance to become the richest man in the world and then laughing at Bloomberg for blowing his best chance last year.

This thread is kind of like me laughing at an article that suggests Michael Bloomberg has some chance to become the richest man in the world and then laughing at Bloomberg for blowing his best chance last year.

Exactly. Much like Wisconsin has zero chance to win the national title, Bloomberg has zero chance of ever becoming the richest man in the world. Great analogy!

It's nothing like that scenario.

The entire question posted in that article was if the Badgers would win the Nat'l Championship this season. I think most people outside of the state of WI think that is a pretty dumb question in that they were a much more talented team last season.

There are countless other threads on here where people have acknowledged that the Badgers are much better than us.

It's nothing like that scenario.

The entire question posted in that article was if the Badgers would win the Nat'l Championship this season. I think most people outside of the state of WI think that is a pretty dumb question in that they were a much more talented team last season.

There are countless other threads on here where people have acknowledged that the Badgers are much better than us.

They were trying to come up with 20 teams that have a chance. It's not like KC Joyner is saying, "I'll quit my job if Wisconsin doesn't finish 14-0." 60% of the article is reasons why they won't win.

Where did Auburn start the year in 2010? Wisconsin won't win the national championship in 2012, but the reaction in this thread is a bit overboard.

They were trying to come up with 20 teams that have a chance.

And the entire premise of the article series fails right there. There are never 20 teams that have a chance. Usually 8-10 at most, perhaps 15 in a wide-open year. I was trying to think of 15 for this year when I saw this article, and several of those I thought of are pretty big stretches.

And the entire premise of the article series fails right there. There are never 20 teams that have a chance. Usually 8-10 at most, perhaps 15 in a wide-open year. I was trying to think of 15 for this year when I saw this article, and several of those I thought of are pretty big stretches.

Bingo

They were trying to come up with 20 teams that have a chance. It's not like KC Joyner is saying, "I'll quit my job if Wisconsin doesn't finish 14-0." 60% of the article is reasons why they won't win.

Where did Auburn start the year in 2010? Wisconsin won't win the national championship in 2012, but the reaction in this thread is a bit overboard.

The reaction is overboard?

I'd go back and read the thread again. There is something like 15 responses right now and about 6 of them are discussing a side argument (any Big 10 teams chances of making it to the Nat'l Championship), 4 of them are your arguments (your 2, dpo's to you, and mine to you), another poster openly questioned whether we thought it was unreasonable because we dislike the Badgers.

In general, this is a pretty sedate thread where the people who have even spoken up against the odds of WI having a chance, have done so in a pretty normal way.

Becky will lose 3-4 games this fall. They lost many key players and several coaches as well. They will go through the same crap as Brewster's classes. Look for a long year in Dolly-Madison-ville! Go Gophers!!!
I fact, I hope they really lose every game every year. I also hope the Becky fans OD on all their cheap, crappy beers produced in that state. Again, Go Gophers!!!

FIFY

t-docious said:
not after we march into camp randall and take back what is rightfully ours this year!

Bucky...Go ahead and Jump Around - Then give us back our damn Axe!

Bucky...Go ahead and Jump Around - Then give us back our damn Axe!

Unfortunately, Wisconsin leads us in the Axe series by 13 games, so it isn't exactly ours. We still lead the all-time series by 5 games, hopefully we can win another one before they tie up the series.

Like an earlier poster said, we are truly in a dead period.

Anyway, Wisconsin will likely be very good again in 2011. As much as I hate the hubris of the Wisconsin fans, as much as I had the smugness of Madison, it's just the truth. But a National Championship will be a long shot. As many have already said, last year was the Badgers' best chance at that.

This year, they lose their starting QB, six (!) assistant coaches -- one of whom was a well-regarded coordinator and another was the recruiting coordinator. The sky isn't falling in Madison, but those losses will simply be hard to overcome immediately. Their non-conference schedule isn't very tough, but games at Nebraska, home against Michigan State, home against Ohio State and at Penn State should all be very competitive games. They should be on contention for the conference again, but getting to a National Championship, let alone winning that game, seem out of reach this year.

Top Bottom