Can staying in the draft

Not a big surprise at all....obviously best case for the Gophers would have been him coming back but this is definitely better than him coming back to college and transferring somewhere else.

Best of luck to him, hopefully he lands in a good spot that will give him the chance to make an impact. Seems likely that he is bound for the G-League at least initially but would be great for the program to have him develop into a key part of a NBA roster.

Good for him. He's not an NBA caliber player yet. It will be interesting to see where he gets drafted. A "potential" pick for sure.

The other comment that struck me. "He will now look to become the 2nd UMN player drafted since 2004." You probably don't need to look any further than that comment to explain this program's lack of overall success -- a lack of elite talent.

IMO THIS is potentially the best case because a veteran transfer would likely be better than Christie next year.
Christie will be better in 2-3 years, but he was never going to be here in 2-3 years.
Lol.... Someone who's not going to be drafted or play in the NBA is better than a one n done... And I thought my pot was crazy good

from #84 on 247 to probably getting drafted early second round after one year at the U strikes me as good news for the program.

He would have been a lottery pick with real coaching - yes, I’m being sarcastic.

Good for him. He's not an NBA caliber player yet. It will be interesting to see where he gets drafted. A "potential" pick for sure.

The other comment that struck me. "He will now look to become the 2nd UMN player drafted since 2004." You probably don't need to look any further than that comment to explain this program's lack of overall success -- a lack of elite talent.
I knew it had been a while but that's depressing.

Last edited:

so it seems a calculation was made that being a high 2nd-round draft pick is better than going back to college (with another year of NIL). did a quick check on the internets, and came up with this:

Second-round draft picks do not have the same guaranteed contracts as their first-round counterparts. Instead, they must negotiate their own deals, which can vary greatly in terms of salary, guarantees, and contract length. Here are some common salary structures for second-round picks:

Minimum Salary Contracts: Many second-round picks end up signing minimum salary contracts, which are non-guaranteed deals that pay the league’s minimum salary for a rookie. For the 2023-24 season, the minimum rookie salary is $1,119,563.

Partially Guaranteed Contracts: Some second-round picks may negotiate partially guaranteed contracts, where a portion of their salary (usually the first year or two) is guaranteed, while the remaining years are team options. These deals provide a bit more security than a minimum salary contract but still come with some risk.

Multi-Year Guaranteed Contracts: On rare occasions, a second-round pick may secure a multi-year, fully guaranteed contract. These deals are typically reserved for players who have significant leverage or are highly coveted by multiple teams.

Let’s look at some real-world examples of second-round contracts from recent drafts:

Emoni Bates, Cleveland Cavaliers (2023 #49 Overall Pick):
1-year, non-guaranteed, two-way contract worth $508,891

Kendall Brown, Indiana Pacers (2022 #48 Overall Pick):
4-year, $7.5 million contract with $3.5 million guaranteed

Sandro Mamukelashvili, Milwaukee Bucks (2021 #54 Overall Pick):
2-year, $2.4 million contract with $300,000 guaranteed

Lol.... Someone who's not going to be drafted or play in the NBA is better than a one n done... And I thought my pot was crazy good
I don't think that's too ridiculous. I'd rather have Nate Mason or Reggie Lynch than Christie. Of course, I'd rather have Christie than any of our current incoming transfers.

so it seems a calculation was made that being a high 2nd-round draft pick is better than going back to college (with another year of NIL). did a quick check on the internets, and came up with this:

Second-round draft picks do not have the same guaranteed contracts as their first-round counterparts. Instead, they must negotiate their own deals, which can vary greatly in terms of salary, guarantees, and contract length. Here are some common salary structures for second-round picks:

Minimum Salary Contracts: Many second-round picks end up signing minimum salary contracts, which are non-guaranteed deals that pay the league’s minimum salary for a rookie. For the 2023-24 season, the minimum rookie salary is $1,119,563.

Partially Guaranteed Contracts: Some second-round picks may negotiate partially guaranteed contracts, where a portion of their salary (usually the first year or two) is guaranteed, while the remaining years are team options. These deals provide a bit more security than a minimum salary contract but still come with some risk.

Multi-Year Guaranteed Contracts: On rare occasions, a second-round pick may secure a multi-year, fully guaranteed contract. These deals are typically reserved for players who have significant leverage or are highly coveted by multiple teams.

Let’s look at some real-world examples of second-round contracts from recent drafts:

Emoni Bates, Cleveland Cavaliers (2023 #49 Overall Pick):
1-year, non-guaranteed, two-way contract worth $508,891

Kendall Brown, Indiana Pacers (2022 #48 Overall Pick):
4-year, $7.5 million contract with $3.5 million guaranteed

Sandro Mamukelashvili, Milwaukee Bucks (2021 #54 Overall Pick):
2-year, $2.4 million contract with $300,000 guaranteed
Greatly appreciate real examples. To me Cam's decision makes the best sense for him.

Undrafted ...Elijah Hawkins
One n done.. Bronny James
Comparing Christie and Bronny? One a very good college starter and one who’s not To think we get a better player in the portal is kidding yourself.

He doesn’t play defense, does not dribble the ball well, but is athletic and can hit the 3. Is that enough for an nba team to take a flyer on him? I wish him well but in 3 years he is playing for some Italian team, trying to beat a paper mill sponsored team from Slovakia.

Okay for contrast...not the last 20 years, but in the last 10 years...
NBA Draft Picks
Kentucky 30 players drafted
Duke 28
AZ 15
Michigan 14
UCLA 13
Kansas 13
North Carolina 12
Gonzaga 11
Florida St 10
Louisville 10
Michiagan St 10
Oregon 10
Syracuse 9
Tennessee 9
Villanova 9
LSU 8
Maryland 8
Virginia 8
Washington 8
not sure if these numbers are before or after the 2023 NBA Draft...but a recent 10 year stretch

Top Bottom