Can someone please tell me the difference between

I really think it's the cultural differences between states. Florida vs Minnesota. They have multiple collegiate sports teams and college football is the law of the land down there. Hockey notwithstanding, we have one significant sports school, and for all intents and purposes, it's not that popular. Even if we were great, there would still be an uproar. It's progressive, "hug your neighbor" Minnesota.

I don't think the problem is that people care about off the field issues under Brewster's stewardship, the problem is that many people don't care about off the field issues under Meyer's.

I think you can win and hold your players accountable for their actions, and that's what I'd like to see happen at Minnesota.

I really think it's the cultural differences between states. Florida vs Minnesota. They have multiple collegiate sports teams and college football is the law of the land down there. Hockey notwithstanding, we have one significant sports school, and for all intents and purposes, it's not that popular. Even if we were great, there would still be an uproar. It's progressive, "hug your neighbor" Minnesota.

I would go the other way. It is tight-lipped "judge your neighbor" Minnesota.

How about meeting halfway? Hug your neighbor but when their backs are turned judge them Minnesota?

Ha! Perfect.

Exactly! I have NEVER believed there's a "Minnesota Nice," it's more like "Minnesota Passive-Agressive". I have never met anyone as aggressively judgemental as a your average really nice dyed in the wool 1960's faux-radical 60-year-old Minnesotan. I'm related to most of them...

Exactly! I have NEVER believed there's a "Minnesota Nice," it's more like "Minnesota Passive-Agressive". I have never met anyone as aggressively judgemental as a your average really nice dyed in the wool 1960's faux-radical 60-year-old Minnesotan. I'm related to most of them...

That's what Minnesota Nice refers to, highwayman. It was a term first used by outsiders who were relocated here to point out that the locals make the effort to appear warm and friendly, but might actually be far more vindictive and hostile than just about anywhere else.

It's why Fargo was a masterful piece of satire. The characters weren't all nice, but they were all Minnesota Nice. Some were good people, and some were murderers, but they all behaved the exact same way, so there were no akward situations or uncomfortable moments.

Minnesota Nice is what allows our sports media to viciously slander the football program ten minutes before and ten minutes after they have a "feel-good interview" with Adam Weber.

That's what Minnesota Nice refers to, highwayman. It was a term first used by outsiders who were relocated here to point out that the locals make the effort to appear warm and friendly, but might actually be far more vindictive and hostile than just about anywhere else.

It's why Fargo was a masterful piece of satire. The characters weren't all nice, but they were all Minnesota Nice. Some were good people, and some were murderers, but they all behaved the exact same way, so there were no akward situations or uncomfortable moments.

Minnesota Nice is what allows our sports media to viciously slander the football program ten minutes before and ten minutes after they have a "feel-good interview" with Adam Weber.

It's beginning to dawn on me that this ingrained personality might very well be why Minnesota sports teams have such a lukewarm and bandwagon following(present company mostly excluded)
We typically will support our Gophers or Vikings or Twins in public, yet trash them behind the scenes(see this board on a losing Sat) when they stray from some pie in the sky dogma of what all Minnesota sports teams MUST be.

Ole...I have yet to read a negative post about any Gophers, Vikings, Twins, Wild, T-Wolves players or coaches on any of these blogs. :rockon:

44397928.jpg

This http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...tball-players-arrested-under-the-meyer-regime and what has happened to the gophers program.

THE DIFFERENCE IS WINNING. If Brew has been winning no one would care that his players were doing dumb stuff off the field.

This is the most important difference: some people want to win at all costs, and other people want to win with class. I understand that many GopherHolers don't give a rip about the reputation and academic standing of the U. I have been made all too aware of this over the years. However, this is not professional sports. Winning should not be the most important thing for a college sports team. What is more important is to have a competitive program that abides by all of the rules and has the type of student athletes who students and alumni can be proud of. Royce White does not appear to be that person. Although he has time to change his life around, he needs to do it somewhere else. It is an absolute disgrace that so many of you are so quick to give him a pass on his behavior. You only seem to require a minimum standard of conduct when it doesn't impact you personally, or affect the sports teams that you support. It is the very definition of hypocrisy.

This is the most important difference: some people want to win at all costs, and other people want to win with class. I understand that many GopherHolers don't give a rip about the reputation and academic standing of the U. I have been made all too aware of this over the years. However, this is not professional sports. Winning should not be the most important thing for a college sports team. What is more important is to have a competitive program that abides by all of the rules and has the type of student athletes who students and alumni can be proud of. Royce White does not appear to be that person. Although he has time to change his life around, he needs to do it somewhere else. It is an absolute disgrace that so many of you are so quick to give him a pass on his behavior. You only seem to require a minimum standard of conduct when it doesn't impact you personally, or affect the sports teams that you support. It is the very definition of hypocrisy.

Do you think a majority of students and Alumni wouldn't be proud of Royce White if he gets through his transgressions and wins a championship at MN? You're just trying to generalize that what you think is right and wrong is what the majority of people think. That's a very slippery slope to go down.

I think winning championships, while being diligent about running a clean program, is more important than not taking any risks and being a 6 win team every year. I'd bet the former would get the University more recognition than the latter.

Its winning football games not winning miss USA, MORALITY DOES NOT MATTER. Everyone calls Tebow and Meyer gods (there was a story about how Tebow changed MEyer and how he does mission trips or some bs like that now), but the people are them are running around like morons. If Jesus himself and one of his disciples can't keep players out of jail how can anyone? Michael Jordan is one of the biggest assholes of all time, but no one cares because he WON.

Brew recruit

". If Jesus himself and one of his disciples can't keep players out of jail how can anyone?"

Wait a minute -- I missed THAT part of the Bible....when did Jesus and one of His
disciples try to keep some players out of jail?? Was this in one of those "lost gospels"
or did I just miss Sunday school on that day??

Top Bottom