Can someone explain to me how Iowa State is rated ahead of Louisiana?

Agree with the OP's logic, but still love seeing Iowa State ranked higher than Iowa. I'm all for Iowa State being the best team in Iowa and them getting whatever homeboys decide to stay instate -- have 'em go to ISU versus IWOA Communutty Coalege.

Agree with the OP's logic, but still love seeing Iowa State ranked higher than Iowa. I'm all for Iowa State being the best team in Iowa and them getting whatever homeboys decide to stay instate -- have 'em go to ISU versus IWOA Communutty Coalege.
I like that too

College football ranking algorithms must be the only technology products ever to arise from Ames, Iowa. CFP (and a bunch of other sites like ESPN FPI) have been much higher on Iowa State for several years than W-L, the eye test, or their reputation.

A couple years back a .500 Iowa State team was persistently ranked in the top 20 in computer rankings because they would come close against good teams.

Both Iowa teams are vastly overrated. Iowa is 16th(!) in the CFP and ISU is 7th. A two loss ISU team is ahead of undefeated Cincy. I think it's a situation where both conferences are way down and the voters are used to recognizing B1G and Big 12 teams so they have to put somebody in there. Since ISU beat OU they are the best representation of the Big 12 right now. After tOSU, Indiana, and Northwestern, nobody in the B1G has really done anything so Iowa gets that next spot almost by default.
Maybe overrated. Not vastly. That would imply something like Iowa/ISU being something like 60-70. No chance. Both are solidly top 25, but I could see them being more like 20-25 than where they are.

College football ranking algorithms must be the only technology products ever to arise from Ames, Iowa. CFP (and a bunch of other sites like ESPN FPI) have been much higher on Iowa State for several years than W-L, the eye test, or their reputation.

A couple years back a .500 Iowa State team was persistently ranked in the top 20 in computer rankings because they would come close against good teams.
You don’t need to see more than wisconsin still sitting at 4 in FPI to know that efficiency based metrics don’t have enough data this year to rank teams...thus makes the ranking unreliable. Thus making SOS based on those flawed rankings unreliable.

I’d argue there is barely enough data for efficiency based metrics to work in a college basketball season with 30 games per team.
This football season there are 10 or fewer games per team at this point.

Iowa state with 2 losses should be rated higher than coastal Carolina with 0

Even though one of the two teams who beat Iowa state by 10+ lost to coastal.

even though they have the same number of ranked wins.

even though they’ve beaten the same amount of teams over .500

Iowa state just looks better. I take back everything I said.

Surprising Iowa State fact: Their coach is often mentioned for potential job openings. Iowa St has the 54th ranked recruiting class in 2021. I’d expect them to be at least 20 spots higher.

Iowa State is top 15. OU top 10.

No CFP for Big XII. No NY6 for PAC.

If Louisiana had beaten Coastal, I’d put them top 15 as well.

Surprising Iowa State fact: Their coach is often mentioned for potential job openings. Iowa St has the 54th ranked recruiting class in 2021. I’d expect them to be at least 20 spots higher.
That’s overrated.
He is a really good coach.
Iowa state is a clear top 20 team.

they should also be rated lower than coastal Carolina and Louisiana because zero win/loss metrics justify them being rated higher.

Eye test does I guess. But only if you skip the time Iowa state got beat by Louisiana

Iowa State lost by 17 to Louisiana

Iowa state 3 losses, Louisiana 1

Louisiana 1 3 point loss to a 0-loss team
Iowa state 1 17 point loss to a 1-loss team
Iowa state 1 3 point loss to a 3- loss team
Iowa state 1 6 point loss to a 2-loss team

Louisiana 1 17 point win to a 2-loss team
Louisiana 1 3 point win to a 3-loss team
Louisiana 4 wins over teams with winning records

Iowa State 1 7 point win over a 2-loss team (who they later lost to)
Iowa state 1 3 point win over a 3-loss team
Iowa state 4 wins over teams with winning records

Louisiana 31 Iowa state 14

I don’t get it.
this is why all conferences deserve 1 auto bid. It is purely eye test. I guess the eyes skipped the game where Iowa state was dominated by Louisiana. (I know yardage was close and actually in favor of Iowa state...but I actually watched that entire game and it was just about as close as the score indicated)
More

My Dad is an Indiana alum and most of our conversations the last few weeks have been about how Iowa State and a bunch of other teams have jobbed Indiana. Which I agree with. One close, high quality loss somehow is worse than 2, including one to a Sun Belt team by a lot.

My Dad is an Indiana alum and most of our conversations the last few weeks have been about how Iowa State and a bunch of other teams have jobbed Indiana. Which I agree with. One close, high quality loss somehow is worse than 2, including one to a Sun Belt team by a lot.

THE CFP committee is full of frauds.

Indiana will make the NY6. It doesn't deserve to be in the top 4.

So with that established, it really doesn't matter where they end up 5-11 (assuming that ND makes the top 4 and thus UNC will steal a spot in the Orange Bowl either outside the top 12 or as #12) in the final ranking.

The honestly don't even need to release any rankings outside the top 12. But they do it anyway for full transparency and to decrease confusion.

Remember, the CFP rankings only matter for determining the NY6 bowl games. That's literally why they exist. They aren't meant to determine anything other than that, and hence why they don't release a final end of the year ranking.

Indiana will make the NY6. It doesn't deserve to be in the top 4.

So with that established, it really doesn't matter where they end up 5-11 (assuming that ND makes the top 4 and thus UNC will steal a spot in the Orange Bowl either outside the top 12 or as #12) in the final ranking.

The honestly don't even need to release any rankings outside the top 12. But they do it anyway for full transparency and to decrease confusion.

Remember, the CFP rankings only matter for determining the NY6 bowl games. That's literally why they exist. They aren't meant to determine anything other than that, and hence why they don't release a final end of the year ranking.

And...Indiana wound up getting 4-5 Ole Miss in the Outback Bowl. Snubbed for 3 loss Iowa State, 3 loss UNC, 3 loss Florida, and also for Northwestern by the Citrus.

It's a heck of a diss to the whole Big Ten, really. Each of those teams I mentioned had a bad loss in addition to good ones (Louisiana-Lafayette, 3-5 LSU, and 2-6 Florida State). Drop one game by a TD against a CFP team and Indiana gets the freeze-out.

Indiana got jobbed. Florida and Iowa State played four more games....and went 2-2 in those. Georgia played two more games and went 1-1.

Indiana's one loss was by a TD to a CFP team. Doesn't seem right.

Top Bottom