Campbell, Lawrence, Triplett at NFL Combine today

runningopher

Reaction score
NFL network and NFL.com have the linebackers starting the 40 yard dash shortly.

Go Gophers!

Could you provide some updates if you are watching it? I don't have NFL Network and i'm really curious to see how these guys do, especially Lawrence as I think he has a chance to go in the middle to late rounds. I saw that he weighed in at 232lbs., which is a step up from his U weight of about 220lb. I think if he could put on 5-10 more and maintain most of his speed he could be a decent contributor at the next level.

Could you provide some updates if you are watching it? I don't have NFL Network and i'm really curious to see how these guys do, especially Lawrence as I think he has a chance to go in the middle to late rounds. I saw that he weighed in at 232lbs., which is a step up from his U weight of about 220lb. I think if he could put on 5-10 more and maintain most of his speed he could be a decent contributor at the next level.

I'll try and catch our guys when they run. NFL.com has two cameras...right now D-lineman are doing broad jump and LB's getting ready to run.

Campbell ran a 4.97, Lawrence ran a 4.6 in their first runs. Waiting on Triplett. I think 4.54 is the lowest after 25/36 lb's in the first set. If you wait through the ridiculously slow to load underarmor ad on nfl.com, you can watch live streaming at an impressive quality.

A 4.6 is good at 232 lbs. Would've been the second best time last year, behind only Aaron Curry's 4.56.

Triplett with a first run of 4.74. Gone is my patience watching grown men run, someone else can cover the second round.

Triplett with a first run of 4.74. Gone is my patience watching grown men run, someone else can cover the second round.

I saw WR's on NFL this weekend. I watched two people run before I flipped the channel thinking I can find a chick flick more interesting then this.

Campbell's numbers are really bad. You don't need to be lightning quick to play inside linebacker, but 4.9 is close to offensive lineman territory, add in the 17 bench reps and I think he's a marginal camp invite at this point. I feel really bad saying that too, because he seems like a nice guy. Then again, I saw a projection that he'd run a 5.0, so maybe it was to be expected.

4.6 is a real solid time for Simoni. It's too bad the NFL is transitioning away from the Tampa 2 and more towards the 3-4, because he would be an ideal Tampa 2 prospect. Maybe Indy or Chicago takes a look.

FYI, second runs: Campbell dropped it to a 4.89, Simoni ran 4.65 his second go, and Triplett ran 4.77.

Campbell's numbers are really bad. You don't need to be lightning quick to play inside linebacker, but 4.9 is close to offensive lineman territory, add in the 17 bench reps and I think he's a marginal camp invite at this point. I feel really bad saying that too, because he seems like a nice guy. Then again, I saw a projection that he'd run a 5.0, so maybe it was to be expected.

4.6 is a real solid time for Simoni. It's too bad the NFL is transitioning away from the Tampa 2 and more towards the 3-4, because he would be an ideal Tampa 2 prospect. Maybe Indy or Chicago takes a look.

Really bad? Really? Don't you think most NFL scouts already know what type of athleticism they're going to get from Lee Campbell. Here are a few highly heralded guys from last years combines:

James Laurinaitis
Ohio State
6-2 Height
244 Weight
31 5/8 Arm Length
10 Hand Size
4.80 40-Yard
22 Reps

Rey Maualuga
USC
6-2
31 3/4

Pantherhawk will now respond on ESPN...da goofers are da slooow.

Yes, slow

Really bad? Really? Don't you think most NFL scouts already know what type of athleticism they're going to get from Lee Campbell. Here are a few highly heralded guys from last years combines:

James Laurinaitis
Ohio State
6-2 Height
244 Weight
31 5/8 Arm Length
10 Hand Size
4.80 40-Yard
22 Reps

Rey Maualuga
USC
6-2
31 3/4

The problem is that Campbell plays slow too. Those two guys played way faster on the field than Campbell. Those guys are in a different league than Campbell, and that won't change.

Simoni had a very impressive performance, I am skeptical of the NFL.com electronic 40 times. There seems to be something strange going on with the adjustments between the official times and the initial times reported on the NFL Network. According to a couple twitter feeds, many scouts had Spiller as the fastest RB 40, but when the "official" times came out he wasn't. Simoni's time was adjusted up .07 while others were adjusted down and instead of a top 5 40 at LB, he's like 8th. Simoni is also one of just 2-3 LB's who have also been asked to work out as DB's by the NFL scouts.

As far as Campbell's 40 being really bad? Yes and No. No, it wasn't really bad for an inside linebacker, especially a college inside linebacker. Brandon Spikes is rumored to struggle to break 5.0 and he's a good football player. The time was really bad only in terms of Campbell's chances of getting drafted, which was a longshot going in to the combine. Lee probably needed to run in the 4.7's, have a good cone drill (results not released yet) and do a better job on the bench to get drafted.

One bad memory revisited: Mike Kafka ran between 4.95-5.05. Yes, the same Mike Kafka who somehow ran like Michael Vick against the Gophers a couple years ago.

Simoni had a very impressive performance, I am skeptical of the NFL.com electronic 40 times. There seems to be something strange going on with the adjustments between the official times and the initial times reported on the NFL Network. According to a couple twitter feeds, many scouts had Spiller as the fastest RB 40, but when the "official" times came out he wasn't. Simoni's time was adjusted up .07 while others were adjusted down and instead of a top 5 40 at LB, he's like 8th. Simoni is also one of just 2-3 LB's who have also been asked to work out as DB's by the NFL scouts.

As far as Campbell's 40 being really bad? Yes and No. No, it wasn't really bad for an inside linebacker, especially a college inside linebacker. Brandon Spikes is rumored to struggle to break 5.0 and he's a good football player. The time was really bad only in terms of Campbell's chances of getting drafted, which was a longshot going in to the combine. Lee probably needed to run in the 4.7's, have a good cone drill (results not released yet) and do a better job on the bench to get drafted.

One bad memory revisited: Mike Kafka ran between 4.95-5.05. Yes, the same Mike Kafka who somehow ran like Michael Vick against the Gophers a couple years ago.

Isn't it exciting to think about how much more athletic the Gopher D is now than just a couple years ago? Can you imagine a Kafka type trying to run away from Tinsley and Cooper?

IMO, anyone that thinks Campbell can be effective in the NFL is drinking the Maroon and Gold Kool-Aid. The guy was a decent MLB in the B10, and to put him in the same league as some of the other players from OSU and USC is pure homerism.

SL #'s were impressive, and he probably made himself 100K today...

One other interesting fact on the Gopher linebackers, Nate weighed in at 250lbs which surprised me. If he did run in the 4.75 -4.80 range as most have him, that is pretty good.

The more Gophers that get drafted the better. I still think Decker is the only lock, but Triplett and Lawrence are in the later round mix.

The problem is that Campbell plays slow too. Those two guys played way faster on the field than Campbell. Those guys are in a different league than Campbell, and that won't change.
Not to mention those numbers DID hurt those players. Both were expected to be 1st round picks pre-combine. Campbell isn't expected to get drafted, so there was much more of a need to stand out today.

Simoni did 21 reps which is not bad for someone as lean as he is

Simoni is some kind of an athlete. One of the top verticles 40" (that's elite), 4.6ish 40 yard and 21 reps. He had good recovery on his backpedlal and in excelerating forward. He looked a little stiff on the shuffle drill though, but I can see with his athleticism why they would work him out at safety. Even Nate Triplett at 250 pounds and a
4.7 to high 4.7 both times shows good recovery time and pretty good speed for his size. Triplett had one of the better shuffle and backpedal drills of the backers I would not be surprised if Triplett has a lot of scout's interested in him now as he has good measurables.

Campbell didn't have that good a showing, he needed to run better and 17 reps just will not cut it for a guy his size with the scouts, if he get's a camp invite and a FA deal he will be lucky, I seriously doubt he get's drafted.

Simoni is some kind of an athlete. One of the top verticles 40" (that's elite), 4.6ish 40 yard and 21 reps. He had good recovery on his backpedlal and in excelerating forward. He looked a little stiff on the shuffle drill though, but I can see with his athleticism why they would work him out at safety. Even Nate Triplett at 250 pounds and a
4.7 to high 4.7 both times shows good recovery time and pretty good speed for his size. Triplett had one of the better shuffle and backpedal drills of the backers I would not be surprised if Triplett has a lot of scout's interested in him now as he has good measurables.

Campbell didn't have that good a showing, he needed to run better and 17 reps just will not cut it for a guy his size with the scouts, if he get's a camp invite and a FA deal he will be lucky, I seriously doubt he get's drafted.

Yep - Campbell is slow and weak. Not a good combo for a NFL LB

Top Bottom