Caledonia alumni Isaac Fruechte wraps up his season, career with the U of M Gophers

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per The Caledonia Argus:

The two-time recipient of the Gophers Wide Receiver of the Year award has March 2 circled on his calendar, the date of the University’s Pro Day. This is the day where most, if not all, of the NFL teams will send a coach or scout to watch the Gopher players hoping to go to the NFL. The players will be sent through a number of drills, hoping to show off their arsenal of talents and spike an interest with scouts. The scouts will then go talk to their owners and general managers and say whom they liked and disliked.

Then the waiting game begins, starting with the NFL Combine. If a player isn’t invited to participate, they may be asked to do another private workout for a team or two, but then it’s April 30-May 2, the draft. Even if a players name isn’t one of the 256 called, there is still a chance to make it to the league. Every team will sign rookie players as free agents for mini-camp and training camp. Then it is up to the player to prove himself that he belongs, and get signed to the 53-man roster or practice squad. NFL stars such as Arian Foster, Wes Welker, Adam Vinatieri, Antonio Gates, and former greats Kurt Warner and John Randle were all undrafted, and they turned out to be superstars. The road to the NFL is a hard one, but it all starts for Isaac on March 2.

“You really don’t know if you have games left to play,” he said. “If you are fortunate enough to play college ball, when the last one is there, you really don’t know because it’s even a smaller chance to get to the NFL.”

Fruechte has graduated from Minnesota and will continue to live in the cities working out for his Pro Day. He has taken a few days off, and even then he is thinking about March 2, knowing he needs to rest his body.

“I get antsy of course, but I can feel that I need the rest,” he said. “It is something that my body needs to get better.”

http://hometownargus.com/2015/01/13...-career-with-the-u-of-m-gopher-football-team/

Go Gophers!!

Good luck. Fruechte is the type of player who might be able to stick with a team as a special-teams guy or make a practice squad on work ethic and attitude. I always root for guys from small towns - there was a TE named Steve Heiden who played in the NFL - he was from Rushford, MN - which is about 15 or 20 miles from Fruechte's home town of Caledonia.

Good luck. Fruechte is the type of player who might be able to stick with a team as a special-teams guy or make a practice squad on work ethic and attitude. I always root for guys from small towns - there was a TE named Steve Heiden who played in the NFL - he was from Rushford, MN - which is about 15 or 20 miles from Fruechte's home town of Caledonia.

+1. I will always root for Gophers trying to get their dream.

Top Bottom