Buying extra tickets to keep Becky out.

Reaction score
After talking with friends, a bunch of us have decided to buy up some single game tickets leading up to the Badger game and either donate to the area High school football coaches in the Brainerd area ( Pequot Lakes , Pine River , Brainerd , and Atkin ) or the " Tickets for Tots" program. If you have the resources, I would suggest throwing your hat in the ring. Some of us will also try and purchase additional Iowa tickets also. I think the general public will react fairly well if we start out 4-0. My concern is the wishy-washy student section. For our group up here, every deadbeat Skunk and Chicken Hawk fan we keep out of TCF Stadium is a moral victory. If a fourth of the season ticket holders purchased just one extra ticket to these two games we would keep the Red and Black and Gold to a minimum. Go Gophers.

After talking with friends, a bunch of us have decided to buy up some single game tickets leading up to the Badger game and either donate to the area High school football coaches in the Brainerd area ( Pequot Lakes , Pine River , Brainerd , and Atkin ) or the " Tickets for Tots" program. If you have the resources, I would suggest throwing your hat in the ring. Some of us will also try and purchase additional Iowa tickets also. I think the general public will react fairly well if we start out 4-0. My concern is the wishy-washy student section. For our group up here, every deadbeat Skunk and Chicken Hawk fan we keep out of TCF Stadium is a moral victory. If a fourth of the season ticket holders purchased just one extra ticket to these two games we would keep the Red and Black and Gold to a minimum. Go Gophers.
I think that is an excellent idea, it would be great to contribute to keeping those tickets in friendly hands.

It might be a good idea to contact the norwood AD office to find out if he can...

When can we buy single game tickets?

*****NOTE: this should have been attached to Ruppert's post*****

Great idea Ruppert! Perhaps you could contact the AD office currently occupied by norwood and maybe he could re-direct some of the typically unused student section tickets and cut you and your Lakes Country Gopher Super Backer Buddies a deal to help get your area's football players into a B1G Border Battle Game and keep some nasty-reds...and some bumble-hawg yellows out of the stadium that day. He should be able to recognize a GOOD THING in the good will for the Gophers that you folks are talking about setting up. It might catch on. And, if the Minnesota High School Students could help form the STUDENT SECTION, what would be wrong with that? Students are Students...especially when the U of M Students appear to need a little help! ; 0 )

Recall a number of years ago when the U promoted Football by making tickets available for high school kids. I recall you were helping to provide bussing money in your area. I did the same a couple of years. Then one year I purchased enough tickets for a Gopher Michigan game and got the local high school coaches to organize parents to transport the kids up to the game. I worked through the ticket office and managed to get some pretty good rates for the 50 tickets I bought and donated. It was a nice tax write-off, but was even more fun when they showed kids through out the game from that group on the jumbo. The kids absolutely LOVED their experience. Even though, they had previously had the chance to get there for the ooc games, being able to see a BIG TEN GAME was an incredible experience for them.

Bless you and your friends for thinking of ways to get high school kids to see a REAL B1G Game!

Seriously, contact the AD's office. That Office should be all about people like you trying to help THEM do their jobs and also about the Good Will it will give the U of M getting perspective students on THEIR campus for a B1G Game Day Saturday. IF our athletic director and his highly paid staff can't help themselves with this student section problem...maybe we have to give them a little push and maybe even a kick in the butt so that they get off "dead center" and get moving on this problem...

Keep us posted Ruppert! You have a fantastic plan!

wren

I have not seen the " single game " marketing plan as of yet. I might try and attend one of Teague's caravans and see what they can do. I remember at the Dome when they had High School Day" all you had to do was submit a roster signed by the coach and you got free tickets. If that is the case why not have " High School Day " at the Wisconsin game instead of giving unused tickets to the students for free. We saw how that worked last year. I don't know about the Metro area, but I guarantee you if you walked into the coaches office at Pequot Lakes and told Chip Lohmiller I have free football tickets for the Wisconsin game and all I need you to do is forward a signed roster he would jump on it in a heartbeat.

I'll never understand the paranoia some of you folks have about visiting fans. Who cares who is in the stands? The last time I checked, the game is played with 22 players on the field. If there are more visiting fans present, then it's an opportunity to show off your university and send them all home with a defeat. Embracing visitors as good hosts and cheering on your team is what is most important. There's a difference between cheering for your team and cheering for the other team to lose. Darting your bloodshot eyes around and scheming of ways to fight off visitors is sort of counterintuitive in my opinion and probably won't work anyway. Then again... we are dealing with roopie here...

Will the game even sell out? Did the last battle for the axe sellout at tcf?

QUOTE=Grant;706450]Will the game even sell out? Did the last battle for the axe sellout at tcf?[/QUOTE]

I dont think it did. I came with a group of 10 other Badger fans, they sold us tickets in the student section, and there were plenty of empty seats around us. We are looking forward to coming back this year.

Great idea. It is going to be so hard to figure out how to get some tickets to the game now.

I might start at the box office, because the games usually don't sell out. Those are bad seats though, so I probably will just grab some on the 50 for face or less from Craigslist.

Noble effort though.

Yes and no. Though with only about 6-8 thousand Badger fans in the stands not the "22-25,000" that were "guaranteed to be there". Oh and to the earlier question it certainly makes a difference. Ask Brewer and Bucks fans how happy they are when Chicago fans flood the Bradley Center and Miller Park. There was also some whining on the Badger Board back in 2011 after the Badgers beat the Huskers when Nebraska opened their first Big Ten at Camp Randall. Some fans didn't let the victory stop them from complaining about how could Badger fans " let all those Huskers fans into the building."

So yes it should sell out and there are not only Gopher fans who can tell you why it matters but plenty of Wisconsin sports fans can tell you the same thing.

Yes and yes. Though with only about 6-8 thousand Badger fans in the stands not the "22-25,000" that were "guaranteed to be there". Oh and to the earlier question it certainly makes a difference. Ask Brewer and Bucks fans how happy they are when Chicago fans flood the Bradley Center and Miller Park. There was also some whining on the Badger Board back in 2011 after the Badgers beat the Huskers when Nebraska opened their first Big Ten at Camp Randall. Some fans didn't let the victory stop them from complaining about how could Badger fans " let all those Huskers fans into the building."

So yes it should sell out and their are not only Gopher fans who can tell you why it matters but plenty of Wisconsin sports fans can tell you the same thing.

Was in attendance for the UW/NU game. That paranoia was not he main story line for people who actually experienced that weekend and was probably founded online by message borders. While there were many Husker fans, there was no doubt that it was an awesome atmosphere and I was proud and happy to host such a large contingent of visitors. I'm confident and proud of my university and town and what kind of atmosphere we have on game days and that always shines through. Who cares how many people are there or where they are from! It's about having a party and having fun!

Yes, the number 1 objective for the day is for everyone to have fun. Winning and losing the game is secondary. Worrying about the composition of the crowd? Who has time for that when there is so much else to enjoy? Maybe that's a cultural Wisconsin sports thing, but it got us through the lean years and serves as the foundation for our game day culture. Party first. Football second.

It will sell out if we have a solid record before that game....if not no way. I say (7-3) would bring a full house for the 11th game for the Axe.

Was in attendance for the UW/NU game. That paranoia was not he main story line for people who actually experienced that weekend and was probably founded online by message borders. While there were many Husker fans, there was no doubt that it was an awesome atmosphere and I was proud and happy to host such a large contingent of visitors. I'm confident and proud of my university and town and what kind of atmosphere we have on game days and that always shines through. Who cares how many people are there or where they are from! It's about having a party and having fun!

Yes, the number 1 objective for the day is for everyone to have fun. Winning and losing the game is secondary. Worrying about the composition of the crowd? Who has time for that when there is so much else to enjoy? Maybe that's a cultural Wisconsin sports thing, but it got us through the lean years and serves as the foundation for our game day culture. Party first. Football second.

Don't doubt that at all for Badger games. I did notice you ignored the Bucks and Brewers fans. I've been at Miller Park for Twins, White Sox and Cubbie games. The Sox games were at the "Non-Dome" Park. Also been at the Bradley Center for 4 or 5 games through the years. Two times when the Bulls were in town. There was plenty of carping and bitching about all the Chicago fans in attendance at all those places. Virtually none of the "Hey, we're all just here to have a good time!" There was none of that period at the Bradley Center. The Sox games were pretty lightly attended and had more Chicago fans then locals. From what I've heard from people in Milwaukee and read from JS Online, the complaining about Cubs fans being "up here" sounds very familiar to Gopher fans. Even Twins fans at Miller Park talked about the same things but thought it was no big deal and on a much, much smaller scale.

Not sure of a number of losing seasons would change it for Badger fans. Doubt it though, from what we've seen over here and in the Student Section at Camp Ripley getting "their drink on" is the most important thing to a whole lot of Badger fans.

I don't remeber there being more than 40,000 in the stands at any point during the last badger gopher game at tcf. Maybe I was bombed.

Single game tix to the Wisky game will probably also require the purchase of a nonconference game until the B1G season starts.

Single game tix to the Wisky game will probably also require the purchase of a nonconference game until the B1G season starts.

That is why I'm waiting for our illustrious Marketing Department to announce the plan. If the above scenario is the case our group may have to wait until that restriction is off.

What if a Badger alum fan buys tickets and takes his Gopher alum son and daughter-in-law to the game? Do I technically cancel said Badger fan out?

What if a Badger alum fan buys tickets and takes his Gopher alum son and daughter-in-law to the game? Do I technically cancel said Badger fan out?

Gopher alum son and daughter in law are welcome. Badger fan must be cancelled out. :)

*****NOTE: this should have been attached to Ruppert's post*****

Great idea Ruppert! Perhaps you could contact the AD office currently occupied by norwood and maybe he could re-direct some of the typically unused student section tickets and cut you and your Lakes Country Gopher Super Backer Buddies a deal to help get your area's football players into a B1G Border Battle Game and keep some nasty-reds...and some bumble-hawg yellows out of the stadium that day. He should be able to recognize a GOOD THING in the good will for the Gophers that you folks are talking about setting up. It might catch on. And, if the Minnesota High School Students could help form the STUDENT SECTION, what would be wrong with that? Students are Students...especially when the U of M Students appear to need a little help! ; 0 )

Last year they were giving away tickets to students, and I still don't think they used all of the student section tickets. It would be great if they went to high school kids or the tickets for tots program rather than Wisconsin or Iowa fans. The two times Iowa has played at TCF, there have been as many Hawkeyes as Gophers in the student section. I'd much rather some young Gopher fans got those tickets.

386794_172666892857795_1667223627_n.jpg

Yeah, the 'Asshole' chants we got from half the stadium last time I was in Camp Randall certainly 'shined'.

I have a friend who is connected to the Gophers Ticket Office. They are expecting a 15% increase in Season Tickets. Mostly ticket brokers (Ticket King etc) adding tickets to sell at a huge mark up to Iowa/Nebraska/Wisconsin fans. After the season they expect a 20% drop when the schedule gets bad again.

Preposterous!!

What was the deal with the dozen or so badger fans sitting in the from rows of section 107 at the spring game?

What was the deal with the dozen or so badger fans sitting in the from rows of section 107 at the spring game?

They heard there was going to be beer but no breathalyzers.

I have a friend who is connected to the Gophers Ticket Office. They are expecting a 15% increase in Season Tickets. Mostly ticket brokers (Ticket King etc) adding tickets to sell at a huge mark up to Iowa/Nebraska/Wisconsin fans. After the season they expect a 20% drop when the schedule gets bad again.

I have a friend that says that's not true.

Top Bottom